Radiology books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moose1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody suggest a "starter" book or two that will be helpful for a basic clinical radiology rotation for a soon-to-be MS4 that plans on going into radiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anybody suggest a "starter" book or two that will be helpful for a basic clinical radiology rotation for a soon-to-be MS4 that plans on going into radiology?

I'm in the same situation. Since the experienced folk haven't replied, here's what I garnerned from these forums:

1) Squire's Fundamental's of Radiology. This is supposed to be the basic introductory textbook used at most schools. Some criticisms I've read about this are that it doesn't have practical, functional, day-to-day value but is a good overview of this esoteric field. Like it won't really teach you to read films but its something you got to read to know what rads is about to begin with.

2) Felson's Principles of Chest Roentgenology Text. This is a primer on reading CXR's; similar to Dubin's how to read EKG. Supposed to be high-yield. Probably would help to read before a beginner rotation but I doubt anybody does, nonetheless read before the rotatioN!

3) Fundamentals of Body Ct. I've seen this recommended to be read before starting your rads residency. I don't know how useful it would be for now. I suppose maybe if you have a CT course at your school.

4) Make sure to review anatomy and pathology?

5) And don't buy the big dog books because you'll never read them and they'll be outdated a little bit when you start residency.

I'm a little worried about starting an intro rotation as well. How can you get noticed enough for someone to write you letters? How can you come off as intelligent? What are some mistakes med students make?