Radiology..chances for an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeaan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!I am an IMG from India with usmle scores
step 1 -90,
step 2- 83,2001 graduate,
My green card is in processing and I hope to get a transitional year this year.Can someone please tell me what to do to have a chance for getting Radiology next year..Research?Clinical experience?or is it just for American graduates or IMGs with 99,99 scores?
Are there any places which are more IMG friendly?

Any input from any IMG highly appreciated..
Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

You might wanna post this in the international forums.

Dr. Cuts matched into Rads in the States from the outside, but I think he is an American citizen.

Thanks Dr Cuts..i was actually searching for ur messages on this forum right now..as someone mentioned you were an IMG..but ofcourse you have wonderful scores.

I am going to Transitional this year & I will try to have maximum out of radiology rotation.I was wondering what else can I do to make my appplication strong next year when I will have the Us clinical experience.Will trying to get involved in some research,help?I dont mind going to a lesser known ,not so good program but I really want to do something with technology..which I realised after I was in medical school..I dont mind spending an year or two strengthening my apllication..just wondering how to do it though..any tips?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
try to get some radiology electives where they have residency programs. if you work hard and get a decent letter from the chairman or program director, that will help you a lot when you apply in the match. the world of chairmans and pd's is small - even smaller in radiology. i recently came across a US img with lower step scores than you, no research, but good elective experience and solid letter of recs. he matched at his #1 program. research obviously plays a big role as well. if you're really interested, try to get in on something where you can be 1st author. if you can do electives and research at the same institution...that's probably the best. there are some university affiliated programs out there that will take visiting med students - foreign or not - for up to 8 weeks. you should try contacting some of them a.s.a.p. ill try to find some of them and get back to you. hope things work out.

Thanks Poesie for your advice.Can u plz tell me how to find out about the programs which offer radiology electives/rotations for ECFMg certified IMGS....am I eligible to do it ?Ofcourse I will do the radiology electives during my transitional year but
anything that I can do before july..any research or elective?

Can anyone else also plz advice me to how to look for research opportunities?I live in New York city & want to do some research somewhere around...even if it is unpaid.I am an IMG,ECFMG certified(usmle scores 90 & 83),starting studying for step 3.I am on a dependent visa,waiting for employment authorisation document (EAD)which I expect to get soon.

I am very much interested in getting research experience ..especially something concerning radiology & would love to go for it if I get an opprtunity.Please anybody who has done this give some advice on how to go about this.
Do I have to email the department chairman at every university around here which has research going on & ask them for it or is there any other route.Any advice appreciated.

Thanks a ton.