radiology..Do I have a chance

Started by grant
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

grant

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really want to do radiology...
I am a IMG from Australia, with 3 years of clinical experience
my step 1 score was 92-227(2nd attempt), step 2ck 91-224, step 2CS pass, step 3(about to do).
I am currently in the process of writing a publication in petimaging.
I am about to start my preliminary year in internal medicine in 2006.
My application this year was exceptionally late so i missed all deadlines for radiology residencies, for this years match, thus i decided to get the prelim year out of the way.
I am intending to apply for rad. programs this year for positions starting in 2008.
I am also a US permanent resident...

1. what are my chances for radiology?
2. is doing a prelim year by itself hindered my chances of getting a rad residency?
😕
 
Being IMG I would suggest a year of research... or apply to every program possible and see how many interviews you get... I know somebody with a 240 step 1 who is an IMG and didnt get any interviews...
 
Dryacku said:
Being IMG I would suggest a year of research... or apply to every program possible and see how many interviews you get... I know somebody with a 240 step 1 who is an IMG and didnt get any interviews...

Last year a stellar IMG matched at Yale. If you have a > 240 and you apply everywhere, you WILL get interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm in a similar situation - just completing my surgery internship and felt the burning desire to switch to radiology. i talked to the program director of the local program and he gave me a 50-70% chance to match next year. his advice was to return to my home country (germany), complete the radiology training which will take about 4 more years and then return as fellow/junior attending. after 3 years you are eligible to sit for the boards.

this only works for me because it wouldn't be a complete disaster for me if i'd have to stay in germany. might be different for a permanent resident ...
 
hi Grant, i am in the opposite situation--trying to move to Australia to do radiology. sent you a pm... just wanted to know why you chose US vs australia
 
Radiology has cooled off in terms of competitiveness, and you have a much higher chance of matching this year than only a couple of years ago. So apply and good luck!
 
Hi!
I'm still finishing off my last year in med school. As an IMG with really pathetic step 1 scores(198=81) should I just completely walk away? If there is any chance at all, what should I be doing to improve those chances? I did a radio elective in UCSF recently. Do I stand a chance at all honestly? Would taking a year out doing reseacrh help at ll? Dont wanna be wasting a year doinf radio research if it's not gonna make much of a difference at the end of the year as I did so horribly for step 1..
 
dorkess said:
Hi!
I'm still finishing off my last year in med school. As an IMG with really pathetic step 1 scores(198=81) should I just completely walk away? If there is any chance at all, what should I be doing to improve those chances? I did a radio elective in UCSF recently. Do I stand a chance at all honestly? Would taking a year out doing reseacrh help at ll? Dont wanna be wasting a year doinf radio research if it's not gonna make much of a difference at the end of the year as I did so horribly for step 1..

Honestly, I think it is unrealistic that you will match anywhere. The IMG status is a hurdle, but if you are an american citizen, being an IMG will hurt you even more. The step 1 score itself will exclude you from virtually all interviews. Unfortunately, an elective rotation, even at a well known institution, doesn't count for much for most applicants. I think that even after doing a year of research, the odds will still be heavily stacked against you.