radiology..Do I have a chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to do radiology...
I am a IMG from Australia, with 3 years of clinical experience
my step 1 score was 92-227(2nd attempt), step 2ck 91-224, step 2CS pass, step 3(about to do).
I am currently in the process of writing a publication in petimaging.
I am about to start my preliminary year in internal medicine in 2006.
My application this year was exceptionally late so i missed all deadlines for radiology residencies, for this years match, thus i decided to get the prelim year out of the way.
I am intending to apply for rad. programs this year for positions starting in 2008.
I am also a US permanent resident...

1. what are my chances for radiology?
2. is doing a prelim year by itself hindered my chances of getting a rad residency?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Being IMG I would suggest a year of research... or apply to every program possible and see how many interviews you get... I know somebody with a 240 step 1 who is an IMG and didnt get any interviews...

Dryacku said:
Being IMG I would suggest a year of research... or apply to every program possible and see how many interviews you get... I know somebody with a 240 step 1 who is an IMG and didnt get any interviews...

Last year a stellar IMG matched at Yale. If you have a > 240 and you apply everywhere, you WILL get interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in a similar situation - just completing my surgery internship and felt the burning desire to switch to radiology. i talked to the program director of the local program and he gave me a 50-70% chance to match next year. his advice was to return to my home country (germany), complete the radiology training which will take about 4 more years and then return as fellow/junior attending. after 3 years you are eligible to sit for the boards.

this only works for me because it wouldn't be a complete disaster for me if i'd have to stay in germany. might be different for a permanent resident ...

hi Grant, i am in the opposite situation--trying to move to Australia to do radiology. sent you a pm... just wanted to know why you chose US vs australia

Radiology has cooled off in terms of competitiveness, and you have a much higher chance of matching this year than only a couple of years ago. So apply and good luck!

Hi!
I'm still finishing off my last year in med school. As an IMG with really pathetic step 1 scores(198=81) should I just completely walk away? If there is any chance at all, what should I be doing to improve those chances? I did a radio elective in UCSF recently. Do I stand a chance at all honestly? Would taking a year out doing reseacrh help at ll? Dont wanna be wasting a year doinf radio research if it's not gonna make much of a difference at the end of the year as I did so horribly for step 1..

dorkess said:
Hi!
I'm still finishing off my last year in med school. As an IMG with really pathetic step 1 scores(198=81) should I just completely walk away? If there is any chance at all, what should I be doing to improve those chances? I did a radio elective in UCSF recently. Do I stand a chance at all honestly? Would taking a year out doing reseacrh help at ll? Dont wanna be wasting a year doinf radio research if it's not gonna make much of a difference at the end of the year as I did so horribly for step 1..

Honestly, I think it is unrealistic that you will match anywhere. The IMG status is a hurdle, but if you are an american citizen, being an IMG will hurt you even more. The step 1 score itself will exclude you from virtually all interviews. Unfortunately, an elective rotation, even at a well known institution, doesn't count for much for most applicants. I think that even after doing a year of research, the odds will still be heavily stacked against you.