Radiology Elective - Tips for Impressing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian student at a US med school going to be going an away rotation in Canada. I really need to do well on the rotation to get "an in" to the Canadian system. I know its difficult on a radiology rotation, but are there any good ways to make a good impression? (aside from acting interested, asking questions etc.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any differences between how radiology is practiced?

No I don't think there's much difference to how it's practiced, so I'm open to any tips. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As you've already mentioned, being a student on a radiology rotation can be difficult. Unlike a medicine rotation, for example, you can't really contribute to the work. I think that leads many students to be over-eager, meaning that you ask too many questions, particularly when the residents are busy or during read-out with the staff. Nothing gets to me more than when a student won't shut up while I'm trying to catch up with the work.

My advice is to take a less is more approach. Everyone knows that it can get incredibly boring watching someone else for hours on end, so the temptation is to either ask questions or just leave. On the other hand, if you can be patient, pay attention, and then ask questions at the right times, then that goes a long way in my book.

Pretty good advice. There can be a lot of potentially awkward prolonged silences in the dark room.

Anyone check out FA for the Radiology Clerkship?

Pretty good advice. There can be a lot of potentially awkward prolonged silences in the dark room.

Anyone check out FA for the Radiology Clerkship?

Don't bother. You'll be lucky if the attendings even acknowledge your existence during a radiology rotation.

Your time to impress was during Step 1 and 3rd year clerkships. There is very little you can now to improve your chances.

It's not important to do well in the rads elective to get Honors and/or attending LORs?

I agree with colbgw02. I'm only two months into radiology, but there have been medical students with me every day in the reading room, and I've concluded that it's much easier to come across as annoying than it is to make a good impression. Quieter students usually fare better in this regard.

I'll list a couple of things that I've found a little annoying. Let me preface this by saying that I love working with students and have always enjoyed teaching, so don't take this to mean that I am bitter or irritable or something else negative. :laugh: Okay, here goes. I don't mind having students look at studies with me. I make it a point to teach when I see something interesting. However, it really bothers me when I pull up a new study and the student immediately blurts out a diagnosis before I have time to evaluate the image myself. I need to develop my own conclusions (I'm still fairly new at this radiology thing, myself), and I don't like being biased by something that someone else says. I also don't like it when a student asks questions about each and every study when there clearly is a large workload (such as on a Monday). Also, I usually save all of my dictations until after finishing read-out with the attending --- so once the attending leaves and I am clearly in the middle of dictating, it's not cool for the student to be asking questions.

Geez, I feel like a mean person for saying all of that. ;)

Unfortunately there is not much you can do as a med student. There are things that can hurt you thought. Here are some do's and dont's:

1. Don't answer questions that an attending intends for a resident
2. Don't ask questions until the resident/ attending has finished reviewing the study and is ready to dictate, throws off the train of thought
3. Don't fall asleep
4. Do act interested even if you're bored out of your mind
5. Ask the resident what "scut" there is and how (if at all) you can help
6. If there's an interesting case you can bring in an article about that diagnosis if residents/ attendings are interested

The last two posts are pretty much what I've gathered/picked up on while on my radiology elective for the past few weeks.

I'm at a VA so the whole atmosphere is probably quite different from the private world but when with an attending who's reading at a workstation I'll just keep to myself. So far they've been really good about stopping and pointing out findings, some anatomy pimping, or just taking me through a normal image. Just don't sit and say, "What's that?"

And if they bring up something like a Chest XR and ask you to go through it, don't just sit there silently and then try and come up with a diagnosis. Talk it out and explain what you see and your process. They want to see how you approach it, your order of looking at the anatomy and how you describe findings... ex: Chest AP XR of male/female, not rotated, i don't see any tubes or lines, describe mediastinum, what do you see on the L & R heart borders, ribs/bones, lung fields, etc...

Even if you don't know what the diagnosis is you can at least describe what you see.... area of increased attenuation, filling defect on an angiogram, increased T1 signal, etc...

Keep in mind other aspects of radiology that may be more suitable to having a student close by asking questions, such as interventional. Getting to spend a fair bit of time on IR while here and it's been terrific.

Do not slow down the radiologist.

Keep quiet ,especially if the rad is using voice transcription.

Smile and be pleasant.

Dress appropriately.

Answer questions, only ask questions when the radiologist takes a break in reporting (usually to point something out to you)

Volunteer to take on a small research project or write a short case review for publication.

Oh, did I say DO NOT SLOW DOWN THE RADIOLOGIST ?

Rads elective is probably one of the most frustrating for med students because they cannot contribute at all to the workflow and can only be neutral or slow the process down.

What books are best for a MS4?

Show up on time