Radiology from SGU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anconeus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently made my final decision as fas as what field to pursue and decided on radiology. I realize that its very hard to get into as an IMG , but I would be willing to try to match a few times if i dont match right away, because after thinking about going into anesthesia, er and surgery and radiology i realized that radiology is something i will really enjoy doing and the other fields are far from being as appealing to me as radiology is

How realistic is it for me to match the first time?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

look for old posts here, and on auntminnie.com from Dr Cutts. He did it from one of the carrib schools.

Also see posts from gamecock last year on auntminnie - good stuff about how to work the match.

KG

anconeus said:
Hello everyone, I recently made my final decision as fas as what field to pursue and decided on radiology. I realize that its very hard to get into as an IMG from St. georges, but I would be willing to try to match a few times if i dont match right away, because after thinking about going into anesthesia, er and surgery and radiology i realized that radiology is something i will really enjoy doing and the other fields are far from being as appealing to me as radiology is.

I was hoping you could give me some advice as far as what i should do to maximize my chance of getting a radiology residency anywhere in the united states. My usmle is 98 (242) on step 1 and ill get a 99 on step 2. ( ill study my brains out)
Should i do research? Im already gonna schedule at least 3 radiology electives my 4th year all over new york(maimo, methodist and LICH) and start reading Squire's radiology text to impress my radiology attendings during those electives and get good recommendation letters. Anything else you guys would recommend doing?
How realistic is it for me to match the first time?
Thank you
sgu grad got rads at brigham the past match; also i think a saba ? person to yale.. etc etc. its done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding radiology rotations in New York:

I think Methodist closed thier program.

Be very careful about Maimo. I know for a fact that they are hostile to DOs, and they may be hostile to FMGs. I would check this out before rotating there.

Maimo. Very friendly program and willing to teach, but a few people are not open to matching FMGs at all. Dont know about DOs.

I too am a FMG and interested in Rads.

Molly Maquire said:
Be very careful about Maimo. I know for a fact that they are hostile to DOs, and they may be hostile to FMGs. I would check this out before rotating there.

Really, thats suprising? Is that first hand experience?

maimo in general isnt hostile to imgs as sgu students at least rotate and match there allt he time. but i can't speak for the rads dept per se.

Also is it really necessary for the above Poster to ake step 2, with a step one of 242/98?

Hey Aconeus et al,

I'm also trying for TY/Rads Match 2007. I am over here in Sweden (USIMG) freezing my rump off trying to get through the last 9 weeks of school.

Anyway, some IMGs match each year, although its rare. But, somebody has to do it. Those stats will open up some doors for you, I'm sure. Don't be picky about location and pepper the community programs in ERAS.

Have you started looking for programs yet? I am mainly interested in the South, Southeast, so I do have that going for me. Competition to get into the sweaty/sticky part of the U.S. seems lower.

Also, is it pushing one's luck to try for a TY? Two miracles, one stone?

Ciao,

It can be done, but you should follow gamecock's advice on auntminnie... thread titled "I matched with a 198" in 3/05.

That being said, you might want to consider Nassua County on Long Island. Two years ago they had 3 unfilled out of 4 and this year they have 4 out of 4. They are in the midst of a transition period with the PD and chair leaving but they have PACS and all the equipment you need to be successful.

Long Island college is a good place to train although I think it might be difficult to get into as a IMG, they are one of the better community programs in NYC. Consider maybe Bronx-Lebanon, they are another program which you need to study a lot yourself but would not be as competitive to get into. Providence in Michigan has taken foreign medical grads and would be another possibility.

Be careful to do to many radiology rotations, PD's don't neccessary like it because they will think you are a slacker. Most medical students can attest to low yield in a radiology rotation, besides it is pretty boring. No matter how much you study it is difficult to shine on a radiology rotation besides standard early, late and intermittent questions. If you say to much, people will think you are just showing off and have no personality. Good luck and don't give up.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time out to answer my questions and give me some advice. Good luck to those going for the match next year and congrats to everyone who made it this year.