Radiology Match Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreatWhiteTower

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering how the match rates for D.O.s were into Allopathic Radiology (diagnostic) residencies. Also, how are the match rates for Anesthesiology residencies. If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what the rads match rate is. I do know of a few DO's in allo rads spots, so at least it isn't as impossible as plastics and maybe derm. My guess is that there are some programs that absolutely won't consider a DO, and others that treat them as equals, and probably a great number somewhere inbetween (favor MD's a bit, but might take a DO with better stats and a stronger interview/application).

The two best things you can do are (1) ask your school if they have a contact list for any past students matching into these programs, and give them a call, and (2) make calls to any programs you're actually interested in, ask how many DO's they have accepted in the past X number of years, and see if it would be possible to get an elective rotation set up there if they seem accepting.

Its amazing to see what rocking the USMLE does for your chances.

Radiology is a competive field but not unobtainable. Just work hard and get good board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should check out auntminnie.com and some of my prior posts on this.

Hi,
I was just wondering how the match rates for D.O.s were into Allopathic Radiology (diagnostic) residencies. Also, how are the match rates for Anesthesiology residencies. If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2008 NRMP Matched Data. Unfortunately they don't list how many DO applicants applied for each specialty

PGY 1 positions
Anesthesiology - 47 DOs matched
Diagnostic Radiology - 6 DOs matched

PGY 2 positions
Anesthesiology - 55 DOs matched
Diagnostic Radiology - 31 DOs matched

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2008.pdf

It is absolutely essential that you take the USMLE. I know of several DO's who had to do the osteo match with higher COMLEX scores than I got. However, they never took the USMLE. They ended up with maybe 2-3 interview offers, while I ended up with enough to match. Most of the DO PD's I met with emphasized that the DO candidates need to take the USMLE.

It is absolutely essential that you take the USMLE. I know of several DO's who had to do the osteo match with higher COMLEX scores than I got. However, they never took the USMLE. They ended up with maybe 2-3 interview offers, while I ended up with enough to match. Most of the DO PD's I met with emphasized that the DO candidates need to take the USMLE.

I second that. Most programs had no idea what my 700+ score meant. I was nervous to take it too but you've got to just suck it up and take it.

What's wrong with an AOA radiology residency?

Hi,

A friend of mine is interested in a rads program in jersey..he said you need a 240+ to qualify for an interview. My point is take USMLE's and see the score averages at every program that you are interested in..more often than not you have a better chance where your score alligns with the program avg. score.

What's wrong with an AOA radiology residency?

My guess is that most AOA residencies are usually done at community hospitals. Some consider this an advantage because of all the bread and butter cases one sees at these particular places, but I'm not sure if this also applies to rads.

So I was reading this thread and had some pretty good advice, I'm wondering what are my chances, DO specific here.

So took the USMLE Step I and did 20+ points higher than average for radiology.

Question is, do I need to take the USMLE Step II given my step I score?
Hopefully someone here knows more about this than I do. If the answer is, yes, you probably should take step II to stay competative, does this include usmle ck AND cs?

I plan on applying broadly to university and community allo programs but will probably gun for university allo program.

Truly appreciate any advice. Thanks.

So I was reading this thread and had some pretty good advice, I'm wondering what are my chances, DO specific here.

So took the USMLE Step I and did 20+ points higher than average for radiology.

Question is, do I need to take the USMLE Step II given my step I score?
Hopefully someone here knows more about this than I do. If the answer is, yes, you probably should take step II to stay competative, does this include usmle ck AND cs?

I plan on applying broadly to university and community allo programs but will probably gun for university allo program.

Truly appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Here's what I can tell you since I'm in the heat of the rads interview season:

1) You're high step I score is good enough to get interviews for the university programs that are DO friendly, but they are few. The problem I'm getting is that community programs see my competitive score and doubt that I'll come to their program because they'd assume I would only apply to the university ones.

2) Yes take step II CK. Some places will use that score to rank you. Take it after sept 1st (but before janurary) because you can have the option to submit it after you get your interviews. And obviously, a high CK score will help, but a lower score will hurt you. And USMLE CS is a joke because its really used to weed out foreign grads who cant speak English. If you appear empathetic and can use the English language, slam dunk for the passing grade.

3) Radiology has regional bias. For example, if you are from a midwest school, you will get most of your interviews from the midwest. Unless you did away rotations outside of your region, it would be difficult to get an interview because your competing with schools (MD, DO, IMG) in those regions and the same PCs would doubt your sincerity to go there.

4) Great university programs in tiny towns without much nightlife and crappy weather are more likely to interview DO applicants

5) Get ready to beg program coordinators for an invitation. Meaning that after the first wave of invitations are sent, email your desire to go to that program asap. Its annoying and the majority of the PCs don't return your email, but better than sitting on your arse and praying for an interview.

6) Rotate to your top choices to train at. Some university programs (and community ones) will ONLY grant you an interview if you rotated with them. (plus getting your rec letter from them will help too)

7) Research, but more importantly publications will give you a leg up at the university programs. I had research and a publication in limbo which equates to program directions as only research experience which is a nominal boost to my apps. So find research now! My classmates didn't do research but still got interviews...the publication gives you maybe a couple more at the next tier of programs

8) Overall, you need to make your application better than the average MD applicant. Its sad, but true. You have the step I score, now its the hard work you need to put to complete your app.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
My guess is that most AOA residencies are usually done at community hospitals. Some consider this an advantage because of all the bread and butter cases one sees at these particular places, but I'm not sure if this also applies to rads.

I did not apply to AOA rads because I felt that while some programs are excellent, the volume is not the same as the bigger university ACGME programs. But getting an ACGME fellowship afterward regardless of AOA or ACGME training is not currently difficult. In fact, its pretty easy.

But with the changes in board formats for rads, there will be more people going into fellowships (at least that is what the ACR hopes for) because doing a fellowship that you enjoy will make your boards after residency easier.

In my honest opinion, ACGME fellowships will become more competitive and it would be less difficult to attain one if you finished an ACGME program. Plus the crappy economy, reduction in reimbursements, and older radiologists not willing to retire, more residents would want a fellowship.

In my mindset, I'd rather have more opportunities (jobs, fellowship, geographic locations) open to me if I went through the ACGME route. I know there will be others who would disagree with me, but this what I've seen.

And I have a major beef with the AOA that I'm not willing to post...yet lol

Last edited: