Radiology match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbox89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I`m an IMG and I have a quick question about the application process: What happens if you match into a preliminary internship year but not into a radiology residency position (PGY 2)?!

Is it still possible to do the internship year and apply next year again for residency? Would that be a reasonable approach?

I graduate late this year (after interview season has already started) and so I`ll get my ECFMG certification also late which is important for the application. I thought under these circumstances it is possible that I still match into a preliminary year which is much easier compared to matching into a radiology residency.

Sorry if this or a similar question has been already asked but I just want clarification on that. Thanks for your input!

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

You would have a gap year. If you were to match this upcoming cycle for radiology in an advanced program it would be for a 2017 start date not 2016. So if you were to complete your plan and only match your intern year this upcoming cycle when you applied rads the next cycle it would be for a 2018 start date, essentially you would have to redo a internship or find something else to do for the year between the end of your internship and start of radiology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user