Radiology Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the what are my chances thread, but didn't get any responses...

What programs do I have a shot of getting into with a Step 1 <220, P and HP in all preclinical and clinical years, and 4 non-radiology publications?

Also, I'm not geographically restricted

Members don't see this ad.

It would help if you gave us some idea on area of geographic interest as there are too many programs to list with such requirements.

In general, community programs or even university programs in bad locations. Also check out the nrmp data from this past match and you'll see the unfilled programs.

Either Southeast, near Florida/Goergia or Midwest, near Chicago or Michigan...

Members don't see this ad :)
And New York, New Jersey.

The majority of programs that went unfilled were in the NE.

Either Southeast, near Florida/Goergia or Midwest, near Chicago or Michigan...
So if you look through Freida and include those regions (Regions: East North Central, East South Central, South Atlantic), you get 66 programs.

Definite reaches from those include: UAB, UF, Emory, UofC, NW, (not too sure about the other chicago programs), IU, UofM, Maybe Henry Ford, MCW, UW.

Lucky for you, there are some programs within the GA/FL area that may be realistic for you and definitely within the MI area. Chicago would be tough I think without strong ties.

thanks...what programs do you think should be my safeties? and which should programs would i be competitive for?

thanks...what programs do you think should be my safeties? and which should programs would i be competitive for?
No real safeties like college or med school. Just apply broadly and see who bites on your app. There were more reaches on that list but they weren't in your areas of interest/obvious (JHU).

Good Luck. I think you'll ultimately match if you apply broadly

I also posted this on your thread in AM, but I will post it here as well:

My step 1 was 214, step 2 229. I applied to radiology. I was reluctant (considered Pathology) to apply until I brought up my credentials a year ago to my home program's PD. He still encouraged me to apply. I did some things to improve my application: Published 1st author on Case in point with my home PD, published 2nd author on a internal medicine case report, joined an IR research project, got fantastic letters from internal medicine attendings and rads letters from my home PD and research mentor. I did an externship at a program I was particularly interested in. I also did an MBA (as part of a joint degree) and also joined the admissions committee at my medical school. I painstakenly worked on my personal statement with the help of my PD. Overall my PD told me I had a good application.

I had 11 interviews, all of which were from the south east. All of them went well, with very positive feedback (sometimes even flattering and recruiting) from those who provided me feedback. To my surprise, I ended up not matching. That week was the most grueling week I have gone through in my career life. It is embarrassing, disappointing, and frustrating to go through 11 fantastic interviews at programs, including my own home program, and end up empty handed. Waste of time, money, and energy. The southeast was incredibly competitive this year, and my PD told me it was the highest that he has gone down through his rank list. He told me I had a solid application and to go ahead and apply to the unfilled spots. So, I did not give up... I went through the SOAP, got calls from 5 programs, and ended up getting an offer from an academic radiology program in Georgia. I am still disappointed but gracious that I earned a spot in Radiology.

Bottom line: If you are truly interested in Radiology, do your due diligence and never give up. Apply broadly and smartly; remember there is a severe geographical bias in this specialty. Just be ready in the case you do not match. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Just thought I should write this post as encouragement.

Reactions: 1 user

My step 1 was 214, step 2 229. I applied to radiology. I was reluctant (considered Pathology) to apply until I brought up my credentials a year ago to my home program's PD. He still encouraged me to apply. I did some things to improve my application: Published 1st author on Case in point with my home PD, published 2nd author on a internal medicine case report, joined an IR research project, got fantastic letters from internal medicine attendings and rads letters from my home PD and research mentor. I did an externship at a program I was particularly interested in. I also did an MBA (as part of a joint degree) and also joined the admissions committee at my medical school. I painstakenly worked on my personal statement with the help of my PD. Overall my PD told me I had a good application.

I had 11 interviews, all of which were from the south east. All of them went well, with very positive feedback (sometimes even flattering and recruiting) from those who provided me feedback. To my surprise, I ended up not matching. That week was the most grueling week I have gone through in my career life. It is embarrassing, disappointing, and frustrating to go through 11 fantastic interviews at programs, including my own home program, and end up empty handed. Waste of time, money, and energy. The southeast was incredibly competitive this year, and my PD told me it was the highest that he has gone down through his rank list. He told me I had a solid application and to go ahead and apply to the unfilled spots. So, I did not give up... I went through the SOAP, got calls from 5 programs, and ended up getting an offer from an academic radiology program in Georgia. I am still disappointed but gracious that I earned a spot in Radiology.

Bottom line: If you are truly interested in Radiology, do your due diligence and never give up. Apply broadly and smartly; remember there is a severe geographical bias in this specialty. Just be ready in the case you do not match. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

congrats on matching into what you love, though! i guess it means that much more when you know you've had to work for it!

Thanks for posting this up for those in upcoming cycles, Greg. I know people that got 220s Step 1 and matched (no soap) into academic programs that are well known across the US so it's not impossible like you state.

Anyway, I hope your intern year in NYC goes well. I'm 1 week into mine and it flew by...we'll be in our reading rooms in no time. :)

can anyone list specific programs that I have a shot of getting into?

Which of these programs do you thinks I have a shot of getting into?

AL: Baptist Health System Program
AZ: St. Josephs, Marcicopa Medical
CT: St. Vincents, Harford, Norwalk
DE: Christiana
FL: Jackson Memorial, Florida Hospital, U of South Florida
GA: Medical College of Georgia, Memorial Health
IL: Cook County, Adocate, Presence St. Francis
LA: Ochsner Clinic
ME: Main Medical
MA: Lahey, Auburn, St. Vincents
MI: Oakwood, Henry Ford, GRME, St. Josephs, Beaumont, Providence
NE: Creighton
NJ: RWJ, Cooper, Morristown, Monmouth
NY: Bronx-Lebanon, any of the SUNYs, Maimonides, NSLIJ, Winthrop, Harlem, Lenox Hill, St. Lukes, Rochester General, U of Rochester, Staten Island U, NYMC,
OH: Aultman
OK: Integris, U of Oklahoma
PA: Bryn Mawr, Geisinger, Mercy, Temple, Drexel, Alleghany
TN: Baptist
WA: Madigan, Providence, Virginia Mason
WI: Aurora, Wheaton

Last edited:
Just apply to all of them and see how it goes. Nothing anyone here will say will make any difference.

Just apply to all of them and see how it goes. Nothing anyone here will say will make any difference.

Apply broadly and apply to a lot and you will get in. Specifically regarding Aurora and Wheaton in Milwaukee... their faculty are swapping at the end of this academic year or something like that. It frightened applicants away and Wheaton didn't fill in this year's match. I interviewed at both and they seemed like great programs, they even match people well into fellowship.

Just spend the money up front and don't leave yourself wondering.

Even some of the community programs may have arbitrary step 1 cutoffs.

Another word of advice: During interview season avoid the AuntMinnie forums as much as you can.... perhaps except for the advise from Tan Lucien Muhammed who is awesome. AuntMinnie is a forum that you really need to take with a grain of salt.... especially if you are in your current situation.

There are also alot of trolls who dissuade people from applying to rads because of the job market.

Best of luck as you apply for rads.

Last edited:
Current M3, hoping to match DR and eventually IR
Step 1: 217
Step 2 CS and CK next summer
Pre-clinical: mostly HP and P, one H
Clinical: Family and Ob/gyn P, Peds hoping to HP but still waiting on grades. Obviously need to bump the rest to HP and H.
Research: EM Poster presentation at a national conference, waiting on publication, likely a lower level journal but expecting to get accepted somewhere. Making contacts to (hopefully) get involved in a Rad project.
Location: pretty open to all types of programs and geography but wanting to get into a program that can facilitate an IR fellowship match in the future
LOR: have not done DR rotation yet, but pretty sure I can get a great LOR from the Ob residency director at my school as a non-specialty letter. So far all of my comments that will be in my deans letter have been great, with one I would give a "good but not great".

I know my Step 1 is a huge set back and I absolutely need to improve with Step 2 and the rest of my clinicals. Aside from that - advice on what programs to apply to and anything else I can do to increase my competitiveness?