Radiology Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RudyRayMoore

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys could put up what you believe are the top programs are. I know this info isn't really published and most of it is word of mouth, but it would be interesting to know what is going around. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

RudyRayMoore said:
Just wondering if you guys could put up what you believe are the top programs are. I know this info isn't really published and most of it is word of mouth, but it would be interesting to know what is going around. Thanks!

Do a search here, or go to auntminnie.com forums and do a search there. There's no good ranking, and research grant money is not a good way of determining a good radiology program. Prestige is another thing though. Just search and you will find....

Previous poster is correct. This has been discussed many times on both of these bulletin boards.

However, top programs usually include: WashU, Michigan, Wake Forest, Indiana, Mayo, Stanford, UCSF, Washington.

There are more, but it depends on who you ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
hate to split hairs but from what I've heard and read the following are programs whose names are frequently mentioned as the best programs:

ivory towers: stanford, mgh, brigham, mallinkrodt (wash u), duke, penn, ucsf

other top programs: uwash, michigan, nyu, uva, hopkins, vandy..and others

alrighty. don't kill me here. just based on my attendings, residents, and folks i met along the interview trail this season, here's the impression i got.

arguably top five (i know i'm listing six; in no particular order): ucsf, stanford, mgh, brigham, wash u (mir), penn

arguably top ten (i know we're approaching top twenty...in no particular order): duke, hopkins, ucla, ucsd, uwash, bidmc, nyu, cornell, umich

but a lot of factors go into what YOU would consider top tier. if you're from the south, add wake forest and vandy; if you're from the midwest, add mayo; etc. it just so happens that the programs above are considered to be great research institutions, are in desirable locations (cali, boston, nyc, etc.), and tend to get the cream of the crop year in and year out. most folks would rather be on the west coast or northeast for four years unless they have strong ties/personal reasons to go south or midwest, making these locations more sought after. thus, the regional bias in my list above.

a good rule of thumb told to me by several attendings (for the "ranking" sensitive folks out there): if you were to base your decision solely on prestige (which would be silly), pick a program with a huge name and great location. a harvard program, a ucsf, a stanford are going to continue to attract the best and brightest attendings and residents based on those two factors alone.

again, just my opinion. best of luck. :)