Radiology Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vash311

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive are these to get into now-a-days? I read on the BigGuide on this site that it was "moderately" hard to get into. How has this changed through the years? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it depends on where you want to be. As a general rule, and to the chagrin of many medical students applying in recent years, Radiology has become a very competitive specialty. Most successful candidates going to top programs have solid pre-clinical grades, stellar step I scores (>220), and excellent clinical rotations and letters. Many of top programs have their share of AOA's as well. Radiology represents much of the way medicine is evolving, high technology, minimally invasive, quick, and accurate. Not to mention, a great lifestyle, excellent earning potential, and job availability. If you want to compare the selectivity of Radiology with other specialties, I would put it up there with Optho and Derm. I hope this was helpful.

I agree with Rads. Radiology has now become very competitive to get a spot and just looking at how many 3rd years are interested in it this year, I bet it will continue to be at least as competitive as the last two years and maybe more competitive. I would still rank Derm, ENT, and Ortho as more competitive, but radiology would be in my top 5 most competitive specialties right now. In 1995 though, it was in the bottom five so things really do change quickly so it's really hard to predict.