hopefulmed

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I am attending what "they" call a "top 20" school with a strong radiology department. Unfortunately, all the radiology rotation spots are taken fairly quickly before applications are due. I now have the option of doing a rotation at a small community program nearby or can try and apply to some other prominent program as away rotations. I don't know if radiology is like the other field where rotating at a prominent program and getting a letter from someone well-known is important for matching at a decent program. I'd think that I'm more likely to get a letter from a small program than a large program anyway. Any advice is appreciated.

My numbers if you're curious:

Grades: mostly passes during 2nd year and 3rd year, a couple honors in 2nd year, and couple honors in 3rd year

Research: Lots of research in undergrad, some while in med school. Two poster presentations, no paper published.

Step 1: 242

School: Top 20 school (I know this means almost nothing)

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I am attending what "they" call a "top 20" school with a strong radiology department. Unfortunately, all the radiology rotation spots are taken fairly quickly before applications are due. I now have the option of doing a rotation at a small community program nearby or can try and apply to some other prominent program as away rotations. I don't know if radiology is like the other field where rotating at a prominent program and getting a letter from someone well-known is important for matching at a decent program. I'd think that I'm more likely to get a letter from a small program than a large program anyway. Any advice is appreciated.

My numbers if you're curious:

Grades: mostly passes during 2nd year and 3rd year, a couple honors in 2nd year, and couple honors in 3rd year

Research: Lots of research in undergrad, some while in med school. Two poster presentations, no paper published.

Step 1: 242

School: Top 20 school (I know this means almost nothing)
You don't have to do an away to match, but you should have at least 1 rad rotation under your belt to at least be able to say, "yeah I have a general idea of what radiology is".

Great question. If you come from a top20 program with a likely top 20 rad residency, no matter where you interview, the chances are the other chair or faculty will ask you about Dr. Bigwig chairman at your institution or tell you an interesting story about him/her. It would look awfully strange if you had a letter from some schmoe community program (unless its a certain community program in texas) and nothing from your home program.

That being said, A GREAT (only if its GREAT) letter from Dr. Smallfry at the community program is still better than an 'i don't know this guy very well but he has good numbers...' or lukewarm letter from Dr. Bigwig, FACR from your home program.

OP
H

hopefulmed

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2007
Status
Medical Student
no matter where you interview, the chances are the other chair or faculty will ask you about Dr. Bigwig chairman at your institution or tell you an interesting story about him/her.
Thanks for the reply hans. I've always thought about rad, but my registration date is so late that all the slots are closed. Hopefully, this will be a good enough reason. Since my home program is larger, I honestly doubt I'll get the time of day of the attendings, especially during july/august when new residents are starting.

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
www.espn.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the reply hans. I've always thought about rad, but my registration date is so late that all the slots are closed. Hopefully, this will be a good enough reason. Since my home program is larger, I honestly doubt I'll get the time of day of the attendings, especially during july/august when new residents are starting.
Have you tried contacting the course director asking him/her if they would be willing to take on an additional student? I'm not sure if 4th year is a different story, but this has worked for me on two electives during my clinical year. It may be worth a shot.

About the Ads