radiology shortage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jonathan13180

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a shortage of radiologists in the US? I ask this b/c a radiologist i have been talking to told me that there is actually a lack of radiologists. I find this hard to believe, considering it seems to be a highly sought after field (well, before step 1 scores come back anyways). If this is true, why? Ive read there is a high demand in the MW part of the US, but i scratch my head trying to understand this. Anylight anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
 
Is there a shortage of radiologists in the US? I ask this b/c a radiologist i have been talking to told me that there is actually a lack of radiologists. I find this hard to believe, considering it seems to be a highly sought after field (well, before step 1 scores come back anyways). If this is true, why? Ive read there is a high demand in the MW part of the US, but i scratch my head trying to understand this. Anylight anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.


Increasing imaging demands, radiologists not working 100 hours a week, increase in female radiologists who have families and work part time, long length of time needed to make a new radiologist
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Plus like the medical school pipeline, only 1100ish (if you consider the algebra of people entering and exiting residency and fellowship) graduates go into practice every year.

I wonder how many radiologists are retiring every year?
 
Is there a shortage of radiologists in the US? I ask this b/c a radiologist i have been talking to told me that there is actually a lack of radiologists. I find this hard to believe, considering it seems to be a highly sought after field (well, before step 1 scores come back anyways). If this is true, why? Ive read there is a high demand in the MW part of the US, but i scratch my head trying to understand this. Anylight anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

The coasts are the most popular places to live. These places are relatively oversupplied by most specialists. The midwest and south are relatively undersupplied.