Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship Application 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boredandsleepy93

Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying for the 2024 peds fellowship! Thought I'd start the thread for this application cycle. Anyone starting to hear back from programs?

I submitted mid-January and have heard back from Michigan and Hopkins so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll join you guys! I’ve heard back from CHOP and MGH

Reactions: 1 users
I heard from UCSF too.

Do you guys k so where to get some good info about the programs ? Like hours , call culture etc…

I couldn’t find any recent info here or in Reddit .

I haven't found any good resources either. I wish peds had a spreadsheet like pain does

Their loss

Not necessarily. Usually the local/internal candidates that are hired directly compare favorably to the people they’ve been able to match in the past. If not, those candidates usually go through the match.

Not necessarily. Usually the local/internal candidates that are hired directly compare favorably to the people they’ve been able to match in the past. If not, those candidates usually go through the match.
Are you staff at Duke?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you staff at Duke?

No. But the fellowship programs know historically who they have matched. They can compare their current applicants to the folks they have matched in the past. If an internal candidate is outstanding, they can offer the spot outside the match knowing they would be a top ranked candidate anyway. This benefits everyone including outside applicants who won’t have to waste their time and money going through the process.

There will be more positions available in pediatric anesthesiology than there are candidates to fill them. Many program leaders are very concerned about filling their spots. I guess if Duke has enough candidates that will sign on the dotted line, they may be better off not participating because the match in a climate that favors the candidates can be dicey. It should be interesting to see how it goes this year.

Last edited:
I think Duke only has 2 fellowship spots. Some of the programs do end up pulling their spots out of the match and doing insider fills (Columbia does this too). Most programs I think end up having all of their spots in the match process. GB is right, there are more spots than interested/qualified applicants recently.

Based on what I've heard from my residents a lot of them are going straight into PP and foregoing fellowship this year. I suspect it will be another match year for peds with many unfilled spots... which is good news for otherwise qualified applicants. FWIW I think peds anesthesia is a great field and I'm glad I went into it.

Last edited:
Curious when the CHLA invite went out. Also has anyone heard from UCLA?
Me too, I haven't heard from CHLA or UCLA (otherwise I heard back form all programs I applied . I Heard back from TCH awhile back. I applied mostly towards west.

Curious when the CHLA invite went out. Also has anyone heard from UCLA?
I heard from CHLA towards the end of February. I sent my ITE/Basic reports to UCLA back when I applied and the coordinator said they would be reviewing applications in the spring

Has anyone heard back from Boston Childrens or Childrens National in DC?

got UCLA interview today

How is everyone doing ? This job market is tempting to go ahead and get paid - lol

How is everyone doing ? This job market is tempting to go ahead and get paid - lol
It is tempting. The compensation is really nice these days, and I am tired of being a trainee. However, I also believe that it is cyclical and things will change. Places will want fellowship-trained attendings and pediatrics is a fun niche to be in. I am struggling more with where I want to train given the amazing opportunity our class has. There are so many good options out there!

Is anyone interviewing with programs in the South? Emory? Texas Children's? Mississippi? Arkansas Children's? Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Is anyone interviewing with programs in the South? Emory? Texas Children's? Mississippi? Arkansas Children's? Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)
I interviewed at TCH. The attendings who interviewed me were cool and appeared nice. Didn’t really vibe with the PD as the interview with her were a series of behavioral questions, felt very impersonal and robotic. I don’t think she even read my app. The call seemed a little rougher compared to other places that I interviewed.

I interviewed at TCH. The attendings who interviewed me were cool and appeared nice. Didn’t really vibe with the PD as the interview with her were a series of behavioral questions, felt very impersonal and robotic. I don’t think she even read my app. The call seemed a little rougher compared to other places that I interviewed.
Some people/places like to ask the same questions of every applicant (often behavioral ones) to ensure a fair and consistent assessment of the interviewees.

Some people/places like to ask the same questions of every applicant (often behavioral ones) to ensure a fair and consistent assessment of the interviewees.
That’s completely fine. But there are ways to ask and phrase these questions in my opinion. I was asked behavioral questions in other interviews as well, but the conversation and interview were much more fluid and productive. Like I said , I doubt she even read my app, started the conversation with a bunch of canned behavioral questions. From all interviews that I had, it was by far the worst. It was big turn off for me. Maybe it was just a weird interaction , but it made “less” excited about the program. Personally the way I see it , I am “giving away”one year of attending salary, and I don’t want to be treated as a resident or have the call schedule of a resident.

It is tempting. The compensation is really nice these days, and I am tired of being a trainee. However, I also believe that it is cyclical and things will change. Places will want fellowship-trained attendings and pediatrics is a fun niche to be in. I am struggling more with where I want to train given the amazing opportunity our class has. There are so many good options out there!
I would only do peds if you really enjoy the cases and want it to be part of your practice as the financial benefit is unlikely to be large. A lot of peds volume is consolidating at big academic centers so if you want to do the big cases you are limiting your job options, with a few good private practice options around the country still available. Personally I don’t see the point of the fellowship if you’re going to take a job with little or no neonate volume.

We are seeing decreasing fellowship applications for sure, which I believe will create a big shortage in peds trained people that will last a couple years beyond the shortages in the adult world. This should translate to slightly higher locums and traditional W2 pay, but whether this is worth a lost year of income is unclear. I think if you can get an offer to a coveted job in this market it’s good to take it as once things turn they’ll turn quickly.

I have interviewed at several southern programs and they all have been great! Of the specific ones you asked about, I only have interviewed at Emory so far. Emory has excellent clinical volume, less call than other programs while maintaining high case numbers, and solid cardiac/regional experience.

I have interviewed at several southern programs and they all have been great! Of the specific ones you asked about, I only have interviewed at Emory so far. Emory has excellent clinical volume, less call than other programs while maintaining high case numbers, and solid cardiac/regional experience.
Thanks. Interviewed with Arkansas this week. Seemed pretty great. No nights and extra pay for staying past 5pm. Plus I really liked the PD and chief. They are now one I am really considering.

Any thoughts on the Western programs would be greatly appreciated. Seattle? UCSF? Stanford? UCLA? CHLA? I liked them all and wouldn't mind living in any of the cities.

Anyone got a job instead ?
I heard of two people pulling their app.
It should be easy to match where we want .

If the academic brass is looking to blame someone for a lack of fellows they need only look in the mirror. The big centers have kowtowed to CRNAs for years, sometimes even to the detriment of their trainees, haven’t protected incomes or kept up with market trends, and monopolized peds care so as to make the skill set less marketable in the community. I do think care is safer at the big specialized centers but not everybody lives by one and it’s hard to pursue a fellowship that ties you to children’s hospitals if you really want to fully practice it. Don’t even get me started on peds cardiac and other super fellowships.

To those considering getting a job instead of fellowship, peds or otherwise, both seem like rational options. I do think peds will be marketable in the future and command a premium especially with peds dental, locums and office based work always being in demand.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone got a job instead ?
I heard of two people pulling their app.
It should be easy to match where we want .
Two of my co-residents ended up not ranking any places. The private practice pull is strong.
Hopefully we get to go where we want! You never can tell if the rank to match emails are real or not...

Good luck today everybody! Very exciting! I cannot wait to see where we all end up!

Good luck everybody! I’m excited to meet/work with you all down the road!!

Looks like a good time to do peds fellowship. Pediatric anesthesiologists will be in great demand.

This demand is there for sure but the peds job market feels very different as compared to adult generalist or even sub-specialty.

Lots of jobs at academic centers but salaries have lagged there. It can be a struggle to get the appropriate compensation based on your specialty training. I suppose Peds office/dental works is an option but not sure how I feel about that.

This demand is there for sure but the peds job market feels very different as compared to adult generalist or even sub-specialty.

Lots of jobs at academic centers but salaries have lagged there. It can be a struggle to get the appropriate compensation based on your specialty training. I suppose Peds office/dental works is an option but not sure how I feel about that.
Agreed - the demand is there nationally but salaries are lagging greatly behind generalist pay. Also while national demand is high, local demand can vary - with some areas still being over saturated. On the upside the work environment at most peds hospitals tends to be way above average in terms of quality and wellbeing.

I think for people interested in peds anesthesia now is a great time to go into it. With so many programs going under/un-filled, it means that good applications can basically have their pick of programs. And there are a lot of very high quality programs out there to pick from. Plus the peds job market is very good now compared to say 5 years ago.

Hopefully the income will catch up to the market. I’ve always said kids, and especially sick kids, need better lobbyists.

Agreed - the demand is there nationally but salaries are lagging greatly behind generalist pay. Also while national demand is high, local demand can vary - with some areas still being over saturated. On the upside the work environment at most peds hospitals tends to be way above average in terms of quality and wellbeing.

I think for people interested in peds anesthesia now is a great time to go into it. With so many programs going under/un-filled, it means that good applications can basically have their pick of programs. And there are a lot of very high quality programs out there to pick from. Plus the peds job market is very good now compared to say 5 years ago.
A hack in this market is to find a job with a good peds volume (>50% possible) in a mixed practice. Hours are worse than the free standing children’s hospitals but the salaries are on the higher adult scales.

A takeaway from the PAAD that is mirrored in the market data is that fellowship trained anesthesiologists are on average younger than generalists since fellowships got more popular as the market softened around 2010. So paradoxically the generalist market may continue to benefit more from the coming retirements.