Radiology with 220?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthomyxostudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is radiology possible for a DO student with 220? Considering diagnostic radiology but considering my score I am a bit hesitant. What should I do to improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Go look at the charting outcomes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not my specialty of interest, but what kind of research do those trying to match rads typically pursue?

Not my specialty of interest, but what kind of research do those trying to match rads typically pursue?
Not my field either, but I imagine anything involving imaging would be seen positively

Reactions: 1 user
You can match. But below 230 your odds drop off pretty hard. You’ll have to be very geographically flexible. If you absolutely have to live in a major city or a specific region of the country, you’re gonna have a rough time.

FWIW, I know a guy who matched two years ago with a <200 step 1. He got over 10 interviews too. Like a poster above said, I think the key was that he had a 240+ step 2.

You can match. But below 230 your odds drop off pretty hard. You’ll have to be very geographically flexible. If you absolutely have to live in a major city or a specific region of the country, you’re gonna have a rough time.

FWIW, I know a guy who matched two years ago with a <200 step 1. He got over 10 interviews too. Like a poster above said, I think the key was that he had a 240+ step 2.
Nah the charting outcomes say otherwise, between 221-230 there is a (18 out of 19) 94% chance you will match, even below a 220 it’s at a 64%

Research isn't as important in rads unless you are going for upper-mid tier/upper-tier programs who are known for their research and want residents interested in research.

Everywhere else (mid-tier academic & below) is just looking for someone who did well on boards (esp. Step 1, NOT Level 1) and seems like a relatively normal individual for the most part.

Nah the charting outcomes say otherwise, between 221-230 there is a (18 out of 19) 94% chance you will match, even below a 220 it’s at a 64%
Oops. I was going from memory and it’s apparently flawed. You’re correct. The big drop off happens below 221. OP is technically in that range though. Still needs to be geographically flexible.

Reactions: 1 user