Rads Away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Currently an MS4 thinking about doing a last minute radiology away for September. I've very open geographically as to where I'd like to end up. I know most say don't do an away on here, but plenty of people I spoke with said very favorable and could maybe help me get into a "reach" program.

Stats: 239 Step 1, HP mostly 3rd year, 1st author pub, few radiology research projects in the works.

Anyone know any programs that have away rotations favorable for medical students or match a decent amount of medical students that do aways?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I don't think that doing away rotations in radiology will help you match into that program. Of all the people I know that went into radiology, I was the only one that did an away and I didn't match at that program. From my experience, I think that away rotations are more likely to hurt you than to help you and it was expensive. I was a good applicant and had great step I score of 258, but that seemingly didn't make a difference. You're not likely going to impress a radiologist on your skills of finding the heart on a CXR or rib counting. Likely you really won't stand out. That being said if you do an away, just be sure to be friendly and get to know the attending there and give off the vibe that you would be a person that they would want to work with the next several years. Talk with the residents and let them know who you are and see if you click with them.

Overall, Not worth it since most people don't do radiology electives and you could hurt yourself in the future if you mess up that month there.

Hope that helped!

Honestly, I don't think that doing away rotations in radiology will help you match into that program. Of all the people I know that went into radiology, I was the only one that did an away and I didn't match at that program. From my experience, I think that away rotations are more likely to hurt you than to help you and it was expensive. I was a good applicant and had great step I score of 258, but that seemingly didn't make a difference. You're not likely going to impress a radiologist on your skills of finding the heart on a CXR or rib counting. Likely you really won't stand out. That being said if you do an away, just be sure to be friendly and get to know the attending there and give off the vibe that you would be a person that they would want to work with the next several years. Talk with the residents and let them know who you are and see if you click with them.

Overall, Not worth it since most people don't do radiology electives and you could hurt yourself in the future if you mess up that month there.

Hope that helped!

How are you still applying to radiology programs this year if you already matched?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you still applying to radiology programs this year if you already matched?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I matched at a great place, just wasn't the place that I did my away at that I was hoping for though!

I did an away out of region, and I'm convinced I wouldn't have even got an interview offer to the place otherwise. ended up matching there.

Reactions: 1 users
I did an away out of region, and I'm convinced I wouldn't have even got an interview offer to the place otherwise. ended up matching there.

I agree with Wildcat. If you have absolutely no ties to that region, a rotation will show that you're interested and can help get an interview invite .... to that one program. Not to others in that region since the others wouldn't know that you rotated there unless your rotations are listed in your application.

I agree with Wildcat. If you have absolutely no ties to that region, a rotation will show that you're interested and can help get an interview invite .... to that one program. Not to others in that region since the others wouldn't know that you rotated there unless your rotations are listed in your application.
Is this the same for IR? I'm an MS2 so I have a while but I thought I would ask. Also I'm at a newer med school in the Midwest so I'm worried that without an away elective I could be at a disadvantage (either in another region or even here).

Yes I know IR is crazy competitive this year. Just thought I'd ask.