Rads Away Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyS81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm about to complete my m3 year, and have yet to complete my radiology rotation at my home institution, and I was wondering: Is there any utility to doing an away rotation in radiology? I understand that in medicine and surgical fields you can bust your butt and show you work hard, but no matter what I don't see how a student could shine enough for it to make a difference in radiology. I was wondering if anyone could agree/disagre with this and shed some more light on the topic..........

I was trying to decide between away vs 2nd radiology month at home institution vs research month..........

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's all in the balance of looking like you're interested while not getting on their nerves. I would caution that two months in radiology at one institution has a greater likelyhood of tipping that balance. So..caution.

SunnyS81 said:
As I'm about to complete my m3 year, and have yet to complete my radiology rotation at my home institution, and I was wondering: Is there any utility to doing an away rotation in radiology? I understand that in medicine and surgical fields you can bust your butt and show you work hard, but no matter what I don't see how a student could shine enough for it to make a difference in radiology. I was wondering if anyone could agree/disagre with this and shed some more light on the topic..........

I was trying to decide between away vs 2nd radiology month at home institution vs research month..........

Thanks.

SunnyS81 said:

Thanks.

Depends on the away rotation...if they never pimp the students, give a test, or ask them to participate in anything, then its tough to shine....

Personally, I wouldn't have matched without my away rotation(s).

I would rotate at your #1 choice after you rotate somewhere else if you are going to do 2 radiology rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vince said:
Depends on the away rotation...if they never pimp the students, give a test, or ask them to participate in anything, then its tough to shine....

Personally, I wouldn't have matched without my away rotation(s).

I would rotate at your #1 choice after you rotate somewhere else if you are going to do 2 radiology rotations.

What do you guys think of 2 week away rotations? Are there disadvantages? Is this too short? Or in retrospect, is 4 weeks just right? Vince, would you have made the same impression at away rotations with only 2 weeks? Anyone else?

Thanks

Hmm, 2 weeks vs. 4. I guess if they put you with the right people for 2 weeks then it should be enough. I think 4 is good to bop around and get an overall sense of the program. You might meet only people you like or dislike in a shorter time-span. I wouldn't do 2 months at home - just 1 and then 1 at an away. I *think* my away was key for my match.

I was asked at one interview how many rotations I had done and where. He then even asked me why I had not gotten a letter from my away - I had just finished it in december (who gets letters in december???). Anyway, I think there is a fine balance btwn looking interested and doing too many rads rotations as it may make you seem lazy - we all know that they are easy.

However, even though everyone will say they are easy, it is high stress when it is your field and even higher when at your number one.

Even with that said, my SO said that I had never come home so relaxed during any rotation as during radiology - now that's a good sign.

GL

ukdoc74 said:
Vince, would you have made the same impression at away rotations with only 2 weeks? Anyone else?

Thanks

Hmmm...probably not....and mostly because the person that wrote my letter was out of town for 1 week....but I still think 2 weeks is too brief to rotate through in ANY specialty if you are trying to check out the program/let them check you out.