rads logistics: radiology vs psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

trynadoc1993

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Average M3 at mid/upper tier USMD school just trying to figure out her life: (step1 234, HP in rotations so far with great comments, Honors in IM)

-mid way through rotations, disliked a lot of medicine but liked both of the above fields. Priorities are time off/income, however would never enter a job that I fully disliked, I just have to like it enough to not hate my work each day. Main concerns are future potential of the rads/logistics of east coast jobs since I like both for different reasons and could be happy in either of the above.

Main question: as an average mid 230s step applicant with a mix of high pass/honors, will I be able to practice radiology in a major east coast city ? Is it worth the stress of potentially matching into radiology at a lower tier program if I can't practice in the city I want/ with the income and hours I want? Ideally would work 40-50 hrs a week with a 300kish income.

Also, previous research is all in psychology so app is much more geared towards psych.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
 
I am a ms4 so take my advice w/a grain of salt
will you be able to practice in a east coast city eventually? yeah, probably. jobs seem to be a lot more of who you know/can vouch for you. residency match is a crapshoot, you may have to train somewhere else

rads/psych are very different and you already know that. I get it though, you are allowed to have more than one interest. nothing wrong with dual applying in my opinion, feel what speaks to you during IVs
 
Psych IMO is probably better if you’re interested in both. Better hours, more flexibility, can pick where you want to live, shorter residency (4 years vs essentially 6). Also even though it’s “more competitive” in that they actually reject people that aren’t committed to the field, it’s still easier to match in a better location than rads. OP, if you just want something for lifestyle, I’d go with psych, I keep hearing it’s the new derm.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At the risk of stating the obvious it’s a rare bird who is almost equally interested in a career spent mostly in front of a computer reading images that don’t talk back versus listening to cray cray for hours on end. Dig deeper.
 
You gotta do more shadowing until one starts to win out in your mind. Both can give you great lifestyle/income. Your step score and where you do residency won't limit you to where you practice. That's med student think.
 
Radiology lifestyle is not that great IMO. Lots of night and weekend coverage is needed and most places operate like a factory.

Lifestyle is also not that bad either. Especially diagnostic radiology. You have set schedule and work shifts and when you are done, you are done. Income potential wise prob double in PP also have lots of vacation. If you train at a decent mid tier academic program on east coast (closer to your ideal city the better) you will prob have a good shot at getting a job there. Worst case you can do telerads and literally live wherever you want if location is number 1.