Rads Residency in Canada VS. US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US citizen and was wondering if anybody knows if the competition for a canadian residency in Rads is the same as the US? Like do you need to have high scores and maybe research, etc. to get in Canada like the US Rads Radiology programs? Also what if you finish your Rads residency in Canada and want to do a fellowship or come back to the US to work does anyone know the process of the this (paperwork, qualifications,etc.) or any details in regards to returning to the US for work or Fellowship? thanks to anyone who has any info

Members don't see this ad.

57 views and no one has a clue anyone?

57 views and no one has a clue anyone?

As a graduate of an LCME medical school you can enter the Canadian residency match. Most schools require you to be a permanent resident of Canada (similar to a US green card) so you would need to apply for that in advance, unlike the US however it is not that hard to obtain.

The problem is that radiology is very competitive in Canada. Therefore you are generally much better off applying to a few more American programs if you are just trying to increase your chances of matching. Even the less popular programs will interview 5-10 candidates per spot, and will reject many more.

On the plus side, the Canadian programs (even the smaller ones) are generally solid IMHO. All programs are university affiliated and usually affiliated with every major hospital in the city (unlike the American model, you will not usually have multiple medical schools or programs in one city, and you match to a university, not to a single hospital) so you are assured of a fairly broad exposure.

As a Canadian grad you are eligible for both the Canadian and American board exams, so you could return to the US for fellowship or jobs as desired. I believe american grads from american programs are also eligible for the canadian board exams (which unlike ABR certification is required, not voluntary, to practice radiology) so you could always take them later if you wanted to practice in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a graduate of an LCME medical school you can enter the Canadian residency match. Most schools require you to be a permanent resident of Canada (similar to a US green card) so you would need to apply for that in advance, unlike the US however it is not that hard to obtain.

The problem is that radiology is very competitive in Canada. Therefore you are generally much better off applying to a few more American programs if you are just trying to increase your chances of matching. Even the less popular programs will interview 5-10 candidates per spot, and will reject many more.

On the plus side, the Canadian programs (even the smaller ones) are generally solid IMHO. All programs are university affiliated and usually affiliated with every major hospital in the city (unlike the American model, you will not usually have multiple medical schools or programs in one city, and you match to a university, not to a single hospital) so you are assured of a fairly broad exposure.

As a Canadian grad you are eligible for both the Canadian and American board exams, so you could return to the US for fellowship or jobs as desired. I believe american grads from american programs are also eligible for the canadian board exams (which unlike ABR certification is required, not voluntary, to practice radiology) so you could always take them later if you wanted to practice in Canada.

Hey thanks alot what's the process of receiving or applying for the canadian "Green Card"? is it easy? will a program help you do this process or is it all done on your own?

Hey thanks alot what's the process of receiving or applying for the canadian "Green Card"? is it easy? will a program help you do this process or is it all done on your own?

when is the match dates and when programs start date wise in canada?

when is the match dates and when programs start date wise in canada?

Look at the CaRMS website for match information.

THe schools *may* help you but as I said Americans seldom apply because there are a lot of hoops to jump through and the probability of matching is not great since it is competitive. I would only suggest it if you have another reason for wanting to live in Canada (family, etc.)

I forgot another hoop: the MCCQE (equivalent of the USMLE steps) (has its own website also), most provinces do NOT accept the USMLE.

Having said all that it is doable. From the opposite perspective, many Canadians myself included do both the American and Canadian licensing exams (USMLE and boards).

Wow I'm a Canadian and that is competitive! I'm just a premed but I'm passionately leaning towards rads. How competitive is that compared to other specialties like derm, optho, etc? Thanks

Wow I'm a Canadian and that is competitive! I'm just a premed but I'm passionately leaning towards rads. How competitive is that compared to other specialties like derm, optho, etc? Thanks

Less, but competitive nonetheless. Remember it is a lot of the same people interviewing at the different programs.

I agree with Eddie, there is much less variance in the quality of radiology programmes in Canada compared to the US, but it is VERY competitive, but you will get for the most part excellent training anywhere in Canada.

Check out carms.ca for more information regarding eligibility.

noncestvrai

I'm a Canadian citizen that graduated from an American medical school this year and matched into radiology. I interviewed at both US and Canadian radiology programs. I matched into my first choice for radiology in the US and dropped out of the Canadian match because it was more likely that my wife would match into the same program. I can say from my experience that it is much more difficult to match into a Canadian radiology program. Even getting interviews is a struggle. Substantial preference is given to graduates of Canadian medical schools. If you are considering it a "back-up" in the event that you don't match in the US, think again. It makes more sense for a Canadian graduate to apply to the US radiology programs as a "back-up" in case they don't match to Canadian programs. High board scores won't help much because most Canadians won't be too familiar with what constitutes competitive board scores. Research would be helpful since all of the Canadian radiology programs are University-based.

The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada has recently changed their policy and now accepts USMLE Step 1, 2, and 3 as equivalent to the MCCQE 1 and 2. You would not have to take the MCCQE if you have completed the USMLE Steps.

Radiology is competitive in the US, but you can match. I know quite a few people with less competitive applications that have matched. You just can't be picky about where you go.

If you were an IMG and applying to Canadian radiology programs it's a completely different story - much easier than if you are an American grad (I know, it's odd).