Raise GPA as an undergrad or do well during post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symmetry11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will hit the excessive hours limit during summer 2014, which states that I have to start paying out of state tuition from that point on. During spring 2014 I have to decide whether I should graduate with a 3.2 cGPA and none of my pre reqs or if I should petition for more hours (from what I've heard, applicants are usually successful) to the state in order to raise my cGPA to a 3.59 as I satisfy my prereqs over the course of a year as an undergrad. If I decide to graduate during spring 2014 will medical schools question my poor undergrad gpa even if I presumably rock my post bacc with all my pre reqs or should I just raise my undergrad GPA as much as I can for as long as I can?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter, either way works. Med schools look at your uGPA which includes all undergrad level courses (bachelors and post bacc).

Do whatever is easier and cheaper (which in this case sounds like extending undergrad for a few extra semesters).

Reactions: 1 user
So are you telling me that med schools average your uGPA and post bacc gpa as one?

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you telling me that med schools average your uGPA and post bacc gpa as one?
Yes. AMCAS reports total overall GPAs, which include every course ever taken at the college level, as the main GPA everyone talks about. They also break the GPA into years, such as freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, and then post bac. The important number is the total, which doesn't matter when you take what. Whether or not you take all the classes before graduating or do a post bac, they will see you had an early shaky career, then started getting better grades.

Thank you! Does this apply to Texas medical schools as well?