I failed most of my prereqs during Undergrad and now plan to do a post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just heard about the UNE post bacc program and plan to retake all of the courses I failed. During Undergrad, I got a C+ in Gen chem1, a D in Gen chem 2, I got an A- in gen bio 1 and a C in gen bio 2. B in Physics 1 and a C- in Physics 2. I got an A in orgo 1 and lab, I got a B i orgo 2 and lab. I got an F in Biochem and Anatomy. I plan to retake Gen chem 2, Physics 2, Biochem and Anatomy and Physiology (I only took anatomy). The biggest reason for my low grades were due to personal life problems that have now since been resolved. It has been 2 years since I graduated and Will start the post bac program in 2 months. I took the MCAT last year and scored a 517 despite the low grades in undergrad courses. My GPA is 2.9. I have 10,000 hours of clinical experience, 40 hours of shadowing. I have taken phlebotomy and wound care courses; I can successfully draw blood and suture among many other things. I am certified in CPR and first aid.
A couple people have told me that I would not get accepted to med school even if I retake those classes because you do not have many upper division science courses. In that post bacc, I plan to retake Biochem, take 2 anatomy and physiology courses and a molecular biology course. It is difficult to know which schools consider those three courses as upper level science course or not. I am unable to take a SMP due to time and money. That post bacc is all I got.
So do I need to take upper level science courses? Will i be able to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What’s your sGPA?
What do those 10k clinical hours consist of?
What about nonclinical volunteering serving unserved/underserved in your community?

Reactions: 1 users
You don’t need upper level science classes if you do well in your postbacc classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT last year and scored a 517

Very impressive!!

Let me know if I'm reading this right:

You are planning to take only 4 classes, across 2 semesters, two of which you have done before. You've already scored a 517 since then, so this information should be easier for your. You are / are not working full time during the 16 credit post-bacc?

I formatted your info a bit so it'd be easier to see for everyone:

Chm1: C+
Chm2: D
Org1 : A
Org2 : B
Bio1 : A-
Bio 2 : C
Phy1 : B
Phy2 : C-

A&P1: F (retaking)
A&P2: (taking)
Biochm: F (retaking)
Molbio: (taking)

@LunaOri @Goro this is enough to bring their application in line for MD schools?

Very impressive!!

Let me know if I'm reading this right:

You are planning to take only 4 classes, across 2 semesters, two of which you have done before. You've already scored a 517 since then, so this information should be easier for your. You are / are not working full time during the 16 credit post-bacc?

I formatted your info a bit so it'd be easier to see for everyone:

Chm1: C+
Chm2: D
Org1 : A
Org2 : B
Bio1 : A-
Bio 2 : C
Phy1 : B
Phy2 : C-

A&P1: F (retaking)
A&P2: (taking)
Biochm: F (retaking)
Molbio: (taking)

@LunaOri @Goro this is enough to bring their application in line for MD schools?
I'd like to see more upper level science courses added to this, to the tune of around 30 hours. Great show on the MCAT, OP!

OP, I know how frustrating it can be, but that "time and money" thing you mentioned does seem like it's going to be focus point because you can't just take a couple classes while continuing to work. I know you got the 517, and that should be like "HEY I CAN DO SCIENCE ME" but you also need to show that you can handle the pressure of new material (academic load).

I pray you can get everything sorted out to where you don't have to retake the MCAT, but you definitely need to take more than 4 classes.

You might want to consider one of the special Masters programs instead. Assuming UNE is University of New England and you are in that area, check out UVM. If UNE is University of Nebraska, I’m not familiar with that region.

You might want to consider one of the special Masters programs instead. Assuming UNE is University of New England and you are in that area, check out UVM. If UNE is University of Nebraska, I’m not familiar with that region.

They said:

"I am unable to take a SMP due to time and money. That post bacc is all I got."

It seems like OP is in a tough situation, of maybe needing to work and save for a year just to have a shot at the classes they need to do, and then they have to actually succeed very well in that coursework.

This does sound very stressful, especially considering they are on the MCAT timer.

If money is an issue, your best bet would be to take the classes at your local state university. However, you will need a year of classes to show you are a different student now.

So I messed up in 5 classes during my undergrad. I earned a C- in Physics 2. D in Gen Chem 2. C in Bio 2. I failed Biochem and Anatomy due to family emergency.

I plan to retake these courses. I plan to take a more thorough anatomy and physiology course that is two separate courses. A&P 1 A&P 2. I plan to take an additional course which I haven't before (Microbiology). I'm confident that I will ace these courses since I have already seen the course material before and that I have studied for MCAT and got a 517.

The issue is that my GPA won't increase much due to the failed courses on my record. I can't afford to take more courses and a SMP.

The post bacc program said they can get me a committee letter upon completing the 5-6 (26-30 credits) courses. I have been told that it's not nearly enough. What frustrates me is that these courses are difficult and acing them isn't easy. Why is it not enough for me to retake these courses and demonstrate that I mastered the material by getting an A as proof. How much longer do I have to pay for the sons of my past? How much longer do I need to waste time with other courses if I have shown I'm ready for med school by getting a 4.0 in the post bacc?

Last edited:
So I messed up in 5 classes during my undergrad. I earned a C- in Physics 2. D in Gen Chem 2. C in Bio 2. I failed Biochem and Anatomy due to family emergency.

I plan to retake these courses. I plan to take a more thorough anatomy and physiology course that is two separate courses. A&P 1 A&P 2. I plan to take an additional course which I haven't before (Microbiology). I'm confident that I will ace these courses since I have already seen the course material before and that I have studied for MCAT and got a 520. Back in September.

The issue is that my GPA won't increase much due to the failed courses on my record. I can't afford to take more courses and a SMP.

The post bacc program said they can get me a committee letter upon completing the 5-6 (26-30 credits) courses. I have been told that it's not nearly enough. What frustrates me is that these courses are difficult and acing them isn't easy. Why is it not enough for me to retake these courses and demonstrate that I mastered the material by getting an A as proof. How much longer do I have to pay for the sons of my past? How much longer do I need to waste time with other courses if I have shown I'm ready for med school by getting a 4.0 in the post bacc?
t has been 2 years since I graduated and Will start the post bac program in 2 months. I took the MCAT last year and scored a 517 despite the low grades in undergrad courses. My GPA is 2.9. I have 10,000 hours of clinical experience, 40 hours of shadowing. I have taken phlebotomy and wound care courses; I can successfully draw blood and suture among many other things. I am certified in CPR and first aid.

I am merging your threads on this topic.

As several posters have said, completing around 30 credits in classes you have not taken before would show you are a different student. I am curious why you said you got an MCAT of 520 vs a 517 in the first post of this thread.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I asked before and I didn’t see a response. What is your sGPA? Any grade C- or below has to be retaken . But your new grade doesn’t replace the first grade. All course grades are averaged into your GPA. If your current cGPA of 2.9 is correct you won’t won’t clear the auto filters for MD or DO.
I know you are frustrated but if you want to go to medical,school you are going to have to do things right. If that’s doing a DIY post bacc taking full time courses for 2-3 semesters so be it. At this point your GPAs won’t move much but what you are trying to do is prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. So hopefully your predictions of all As is correct. You didn’t get in this situation quickly and you won’t get out of it quickly. Med school is very hard and getting in is even harder. So for the best chance for success, slow down and do it right.

Good luck.