Raising MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingy95

BINGSM1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So has anyone out there raised their score more than 10 points?

I am currently finishing up biochem with an A- in the class. Also much more studying time.
Got 125 in CARS first time.
Taking exam on June 2nd.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

CARS is very difficult to raise - and if you want to go from 125 to, say, 130, that is very difficult. When did you take your last exam? Very few people end up raising their score if they take the second MCAT only a month or two after the first. That's because the MCAT tests on reasoning and logical skills that are developed on the time scale of years and you need to practice a lot more than a month to get better at it.

You can absolutely raise your score by a significant margin. One of my pet peeves is that the AAMC tries to portray their exam as some magical instrument so accurate that it "defines your aptitude" and therefore improvements are a statistical impossibility. This is the apparent message from their charts in the Official Guide which basically show that almost no one improves on a retake (I'll address that in a second). However, I either give my students some magic chemical in their water, or those charts should be ignored. I have personally helped students improve by up to 22 points on MCAT-2015 (492 to 514, also a 499 to 521). Those are not common, but my total # of students is fairly low and 10+ improvements are quite common. Such improvements aren't random outliers--they are mostly predictable based on behavior change. I could predict all my students scores fairly accurately without looking at a single practice exam score, just by basing it off of their behavior.

That is the KEY to making a large score improvement--changing your behavior. The data tables in the Official Guide are what they are because MOST students who retake--an ALARMING amount--do so within 1-3 months time and make few if any significant changes to their behavior. If your study behaviors are the same as they were last time, you're going to get the same or very similar result (maybe excepting a few cases where you got in a car wreck on test day or had some other strange circumstance).

The needle on a challenging critical-thinking exam such as this is hard to move, but absolutely movable! If you want to move that needle, you have to be MUCH more aggressive about your study and engage in new, metamorphosis-like behaviors. If you don't change behavior, you'll score the same. If behavior changes DRAMATICALLY there is almost no way your score won't go up. I have a lot of compassion on students who get owned by this exam. I can give you at least one of our full-lengths for free and I'd be happy to answer your questions as you study via private message. Don't let anyone convince you that you cannot jump 10 or more points!

Reactions: 1 user