Raising undergraduate GPA... working full time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a cousin that wants to apply to dental school but has fairly low stats from quite a few years ago. She can't afford right now to quit her job. She works from 9-5 as a dental assistant and there is little flexibility. She wants to raise her undergraduate GPA for her application and personal reasons. I don't know what to suggest she does. The school she went to (Buffalo...with me) doesn't offer night classes in Biology (what her major was..and mine too, so I SHOULD know). Does anyone have any idea how she could raise her undergraduate GPA? I have no clue what to tell her.

Members don't see this ad.

If she can, I would suggest not working for a semester or two and just taking a LOT of upper level science classes all at once. That's what I'm doing. It's tough to take them simultaneously, but if she can do it, then why not? All the more prepared for dental school she will appear if she can succeed... right? :D

Are there no other four year colleges around that she can take nondegree classes at? If not....... maybe look into community colleges or... move? haha

I have a cousin that wants to apply to dental school but has fairly low stats from quite a few years ago. She can't afford right now to quit her job. She works from 9-5 as a dental assistant and there is little flexibility. She wants to raise her undergraduate GPA for her application and personal reasons. I don't know what to suggest she does. The school she went to (Buffalo...with me) doesn't offer night classes in Biology (what her major was..and mine too, so I SHOULD know). Does anyone have any idea how she could raise her undergraduate GPA? I have no clue what to tell her.

Is she based in Buffalo? She may have to look around more even if it means going quite a distance to see if there are other colleges that offer night classes.
Can she afford to work part time? How about working as a temp to give her more flexibility?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is she based in Buffalo? She may have to look around more even if it means going quite a distance to see if there are other colleges that offer night classes.
Can she afford to work part time? How about working as a temp to give her more flexibility?

Working part time really isn't an option but she is PROBABLY willing to drive to take night classes. Living in Buffalo most of my life, I know there are a LOT of colleges around. If she takes classes at another school though (like Buff State which is known to be easier in general) would it still look ok to bring up her GPA? Obviously UB is the best option around other than the private schools which would be EXPENSIVE. I mean she wants to bring up her science GPA up a full 0.7 to be competitive. I don't know what she has now, but it can't be terrific considering she said that after I told her to try to bring it up to a 3.3.

Working part time really isn't an option but she is PROBABLY willing to drive to take night classes. Living in Buffalo most of my life, I know there are a LOT of colleges around. If she takes classes at another school though (like Buff State which is known to be easier in general) would it still look ok to bring up her GPA? Obviously UB is the best option around other than the private schools which would be EXPENSIVE. I mean she wants to bring up her science GPA up a full 0.7 to be competitive. I don't know what she has now, but it can't be terrific considering she said that after I told her to try to bring it up to a 3.3.

If she is really set on getting into dental school then I would tell her to quit her job, take out some loans and focus on school. If her end-goal is dentistry, then working now to save a couple thousand is not worth it. What reason is there that she has to work full-time?

If she is really set on getting into dental school then I would tell her to quit her job, take out some loans and focus on school. If her end-goal is dentistry, then working now to save a couple thousand is not worth it. What reason is there that she has to work full-time?

Family. Husband and a 3 yr old. I don't know what her husband makes but I doubt it is much considering he works repairing air conditioners in BUFFALO!!! In the off season, he does some contracted construction work. Bottom line, she needs to work...to help provide.

Thanks everyone for suggestions btw

Family. Husband and a 3 yr old. I don't know what her husband makes but I doubt it is much considering he works repairing air conditioners in BUFFALO!!! In the off season, he does some contracted construction work. Bottom line, she needs to work...to help provide.

Thanks everyone for suggestions btw

Why only consider night classes in Bio? Who really cares what it's in. It'll be more than obvious she's trying to up the GPA. Take whatever.

Expand his business to include heating systems. Or for either to get a better job. Be the girl who scans ppls' IDs when they enter a building. Lots of reading time. Sell crap on eBay. Donate a kidney. Dental assisting isn't all there is out there.

i agree with NewMexDent. i think it will be very hard to work full time while doing well in biology classes. being predent is pretty much like a full time job.
do they have financial aid options for people with family?

I was in the same situation as your cousin for a couple years. I worked full time as a business banker M-F and the only classes I could take were a few electives and GE at a community college every semester b/c the two universities around didn't offer night classes (especially upper division BIO classes that I needed). Needless to say I ended up wasting time b/c I wasn't getting what I really needed (O-Chem, physics, bio classes).

It's a really hard dilemma, and I honestly can't imagine finishing a pre-dental curriculum and earning a bachelors degree while working M-F in the daytime, because the night classes are just too hard or impossible to come by. I am married and have 1 yo daughter, neither me nor my wife work, and I take out student loans to cover basic living expenses. It's a huge risk of course, but if dentistry is something you really want to do, then you kind of have to take a leap of faith and believe in yourself. It's worth it if you succeed. I wouldn't want to discourage your cousin, but I've found over the past 5 years that it is better not work full time and go to school full time simultaneously, but if you must (which is the case sometimes), then it is better to find a job where you put in a lot of weekend or night hours and go to school in the day. Obviously with something like dental assisting, that's not an option, soooo... that leaves either finding another job, living off of loans, or not being able to finish school.

Oh as far as financial aid, you get pretty good federal aid if you are married with a kid and don't make above ~ 40k. If you have at least 60 units you can take out $10,500 in stafford loans on top of any free aid like pell grants, state grants, etc. Then there are private loans (which you will need if you have a family and don't work) which you can get however much more you need. If you credit isn't great or you don't work and you need don't have a cosigner, then you can always go to myrichuncle too. So there are some financial options out there so you don't have to ruin your education by working 40 hours a week plus taking a full load.

I think it is a little bit inconsiderate to tell people to quit their jobs like that. At the moment she has to work full time and squeeze classes in her schedule. You'll understand if you have a family of your own.

SugarNacl,
In her situation take it at schools that offer night classes. There simply is no room to consider prestige of the institution. Make sure she can handle it with the full time job and a kid to take care. Admissions people will cut her slack if they ask her why she went to buffalo state. I got asked in my interview why I took my classes at the institutions that I have attended.

i agree with NewMexDent. i think it will be very hard to work full time while doing well in biology classes. being predent is pretty much like a full time job.
do they have financial aid options for people with family?

She can take class part time. While I was taking courses at UMass-Boston I got to know this nepalese guy who was studying to be an engineer. Because he had limited financial means he would take off a semester or 2 to work fulltime in a pizza parlor. He told me he had a 10 year plan to get his bachelors all while his girlfriend stuck by his side. SugarNacl, if it's going to take longer because of being part time then it is okay. Does she have a bachelors already? There is something about having your own family that makes us more mature.

She can take class part time. While I was taking courses at UMass-Boston I got to know this nepalese guy who was studying to be an engineer. Because he had limited financial means he would take off a semester or 2 to work fulltime in a pizza parlor. He told me he had a 10 year plan to get his bachelors all while his girlfriend stuck by his side. SugarNacl, if it's going to take longer because of being part time then it is okay. Does she have a bachelors already? There is something about having your own family that makes us more mature.

Blank,
I like that you can understand her situation well enough with the family. She does have a BS in Biology so she has taken a ton of science classes for that low GPA. That is a lot of compensation but doable I suppose. She is very much so indebt from undergrad as well, so I don't see something with so much uncertainty worth losing your job as a dental assistant and supporting your family just to go more into debt. I am glad you understand about the family thing. I don't have any children but even with a husband (which I do have), it's hard enough. Thanks for your suggestions. They are very much appreciated.

I think it is a little bit inconsiderate to tell people to quit their jobs like that. At the moment she has to work full time and squeeze classes in her schedule. You'll understand if you have a family of your own.

SugarNacl,
In her situation take it at schools that offer night classes. There simply is no room to consider prestige of the institution. Make sure she can handle it with the full time job and a kid to take care. Admissions people will cut her slack if they ask her why she went to buffalo state. I got asked in my interview why I took my classes at the institutions that I have attended.

I'll understand if I have a family of my own? How could you assume that I don't? There are plenty of full-time students with families that make it work.

If she worked part-time and took a full load for a semester she wouldn't even be loosing out on much money - especially compared to the debt of dental school and the projected income of a dentist.

I'll understand if I have a family of my own? How could you assume that I don't? There are plenty of full-time students with families that make it work.

If she worked part-time and took a full load for a semester she wouldn't even be loosing out on much money - especially compared to the debt of dental school and the projected income of a dentist.

Not everybody can pull it off. You shouldn't expect others to pull it off because you've seen examples of it here. It's like expecting people to be superman. If she can do it great but if not then no harm is done. Dental schools aren't looking to admit superman. I've personally seen student mothers. Boy do they have it rough!

Blank,
I like that you can understand her situation well enough with the family. She does have a BS in Biology so she has taken a ton of science classes for that low GPA. That is a lot of compensation but doable I suppose. She is very much so indebt from undergrad as well, so I don't see something with so much uncertainty worth losing your job as a dental assistant and supporting your family just to go more into debt. I am glad you understand about the family thing. I don't have any children but even with a husband (which I do have), it's hard enough. Thanks for your suggestions. They are very much appreciated.

Will you mind PMing me what her academic situation is?

Not everybody can pull it off. You shouldn't expect others to pull it off because you've seen examples of it here. It's like expecting people to be superman. If she can do it great but if not then no harm is done. Dental schools aren't looking to admit superman. I've personally seen student mothers. Boy do they have it rough!

Nice post, I agree. Sometimes it's hard for people on here to understand that there are a few (and I say just a few) things more important than Dental School.

I can't imagine my wife going to school, working, and taking care of our son. It's just too much. I'm sure there are some that can pull it off and if they can then more power to them!

Actually, it's not like expecting people to be superman, because no one has ever been superman. Suggesting that she work full time while taking classes (to which she may need to commute) while raising a child - that's expecting someone to be superman. I obviously don't know the entire situation, but it seems that the issue is money.

I guarantee that there are more student mothers and student families at my university than at most - and they all manage school, money and family. It takes a little sacrifice, but it's entirely possible to subsist, as a family, on one income and minimum student aid.

So, like I said before - I would suggest she quit her job (or cut down the hours significantly), enroll in several classes during the day and reserve her evenings for study and family time. It may require her husband to work a little more, or a little student aid but it will save time and money in the long run. That's just my opinion, based on my limited knowledge of the situation.

Actually, it's not like expecting people to be superman, because no one has ever been superman. Suggesting that she work full time while taking classes (to which she may need to commute) while raising a child - that's expecting someone to be superman. I obviously don't know the entire situation, but it seems that the issue is money.

I guarantee that there are more student mothers and student families at my university than at most - and they all manage school, money and family. It takes a little sacrifice, but it's entirely possible to subsist, as a family, on one income and minimum student aid.

So, like I said before - I would suggest she quit her job (or cut down the hours significantly), enroll in several classes during the day and reserve her evenings for study and family time. It may require her husband to work a little more, or a little student aid but it will save time and money in the long run. That's just my opinion, based on my limited knowledge of the situation.

But quitting her job is not an option. I don't think her husband can support them even if he worked more. She may have to work around holding a full time job. It sucks that she doesn't have that option. Maybe she has to bite the bullet and do this but I'm not going to suggest somebody to quit her job when she says she can't afford to do it.

I've also been around a bunch of student mothers but just because there are people out there like that I'm not going to take that for granted.

i'm going to say what no one wants to say, community colleges offer night classes, and plenty of them (well at least where i'm from) and saturday classes,

what are her dental school choices, do they take credits from community colleges? if so, go for it,
she's got an entire personal statement to explain why, it shows dedication i think, take out loans oh sure, but to continue your full time job and continue to go to school, she'll also be looked upon as a non-traditional student, may hurt, may help.

i think she could make it happen, don't discourage her...and heck yeah its hard, it's already pretty hard for most people to get it done with out working and no family...but it's not impossible, i'm super optimistic, only you know what your capable of... and when she completes those prerequisites and gets into dental school....heck she's already prepared herself for the up all night, no rest curriculum that goes into dental school:laugh:

could people please not attack the adjectives, adverbs, ect i used to describe things, this is honestly just my own personal opinion, based on my experiences and observations, i have no scientific data to prove anything i just said...SDN-ers scare me!!!!!!

A lot of SDNers are naive. They think 'competitive' means you have to turn yourself into superman. :rolleyes: Just do what you are capable. I've dealt student mothers with checkered transcripts. One in particular had many W's because of having to take care of kids. As to CC, I know Tufts doesn't take CC courses, they are very strict about it.