random internships question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minion677

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im reading some comments that people made after interviews at med schools and i came across this:

"Positives: Just how unique the curriculum is, such as with the autonomy in the acting internships, the integration of info about CAM and the spiritual aspects"

Can anyone shed light on what "autonomy in the acting internships" means? It was from an interview at Georgetown.

Members don't see this ad.

Minion677 said:
Im reading some comments that people made after interviews at med schools and i came across this:

"Positives: Just how unique the curriculum is, such as with the autonomy in the acting internships, the integration of info about CAM and the spiritual aspects"

Can anyone shed light on what "autonomy in the acting internships" means? It was from an interview at Georgetown.

My take on this would be that the person was referring to how much responsibility the fourth year med students were given in managing/caring for patients. One end of the spectrum would be very little independence (you write the note in the morning, report your findings, but the intern or upper level makes the plan and carries it out), the other end of the spectrum would be a situation where no one is looking over your shoulder, and that any decision you make on a patient is carried out (and you are responsible for writing the orders, etc). Judging from anecdotal stories I know from Georgetown grads, I think this is what the writer was referring to. I know fourth years who were responsible for the call pager for an entire of team of patients (including ICU) patients when residents went to a retreat.