random pharm questions in usmleworld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondemed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I am weak in pharm to begin with (thanks to my school not emphasizing any pharm in the first 2 years with exception of a 2-week block, arggh) but world keeps generating these crazy side effect and/or drug combination questions that I've never heard of or seen in FA/pharm cards. I try to write them down and commit them to memory but lately it seems that more and more are popping up. Anyone else encounter this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. Pharm in UW is a biatch. MOA of side effects of primidone, are you serious? I created about thirty new pharm cards for drugs I had never heard of from going through UW, and I have 10% still left.

What I love about UW is, when I select only hematology questions (only path/pharm, unchecking the immuno and micro boxes), and I get about 4 questions about anti-retroviral drugs that have nothing to do with heme. :confused:

yeah, world is great for that too. I think they have a weird classification system for question domains - I got a bunch of renal questions in genitourinary despite there being a separate category for renal ... sigh

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...I've decided to basically not use the UW pharm. I think (hope?) that the real USMLE pharm questions won't be as ridiculously detailed.

I've also heard the Biochem section is way too hard also. (Again, I hope).

When I come across a UW question that I actually *know* the answer to, I feel weird and begin to doubt myself because it seems too obvious.

Yeah...kind of rambling now. Test in t-minus 56 hours for me. :scared:

Is the general consensus that UWorld pharm and biochem aren't good representations of the real thing? I also have USMLEConsult and Kaplan Q-book, so I am considering skipping those 2 sections in World, and doing the questions in Consult and Q-book instead. Any thoughts?