Random Q: Do military flight physicals count for civilian flight training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a different physical or can you get a third class medical certificate from a military flight surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure the actual flight docs will chime in on this, but generally a flight doc has to have his FAA AME paperwork done before he can issue civilian medical. However, a military flight physical is considered valid to use in place of a civilian third class.

I've only met one FS who had his FAA AME, so it seems a little rare. Military flight physicals allow you to fly as a military pilot in military aircraft. A third class medical allows you to fly a civilian aircraft with a private pilot license. The good news is a third class medical is relatively easy to get - costs a little money and mostly just filling out paperwork.

I've only met one FS who had his FAA AME, so it seems a little rare. Military flight physicals allow you to fly as a military pilot in military aircraft. A third class medical allows you to fly a civilian aircraft with a private pilot license. The good news is a third class medical is relatively easy to get - costs a little money and mostly just filling out paperwork.

As of about a year ago a military flight physical can also act as a third class civilian medical, but I am having a hard time finding the source document.

Okay, found it.

FAR Part 61.23 - Medical Certificates: Requirements and Duration

(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate—

(9) When a military pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces can show evidence of an up-to-date medical examination authorizing pilot flight status issued by the U.S. Armed Forces and—

(i) The flight does not require higher than a third-class medical certificate; and

(ii) The flight conducted is a domestic flight operation within U.S. airspace.

Last edited: