* Random Question Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SWEEET!

I am ordering mine now and storing it in my garage. Anybody interested in a group purchase? :cool:

http://www.sirona.com/e_01_01_01_05.html

I think the water unit dispenses Evian..

Members don't see this ad.

You are such a sweetie pie Dentaldream *wink wink*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by critterbug
You are such a sweetie pie Dentaldream *wink wink*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not you too critterbug!

Members don't see this ad :)
i know that people have gotten interviews in march, APR, etc...

but can someone tell me when should one start to get nervous if he hasn't received any interviews?/

just had a friend call and ask me about what i thought of his chances for acceptance. he has a 3.0 gpa and scored all 17's 18's on the DAT, but 13 on QR.

now, i told him to definately retake the DAT or even maybe wait till next yr to apply. of course, no one trust me and he too refused to listen and he is going to apply to 15 schools. he thinks he still has a chance.

ouch!
i would hate to see a friend waste all that $$. better yet, i hope he doesn't know about SDN. can you imagine that?

:laugh:

:laugh:

He'd probably jump off a bridge.

if yah-e got in with a 2.4-2.6 anyone has a chance.

Perfect, your friend aint got a prayer! People with that GPA need higher DATs, and 13 in QR no matter how insignificant people may say that section is wont get you anything. He might get some kinda love from NYU, but I suppose if they accept him it will be conditional that he retakes the DAT, but that may not even happen, judging by what the applicant pool looks like this year!

Do you know which schools will let you defer my admission? I know that Univ. of Michigan do not allow this but how about Temple, Marquette, UNY and Indiana?

Marquette doesn't allow it.

So everybody, what do you plan on doing the summer before entering dental school, asumming that we are all going to get accepted:), or what did you do?

Ill start, I will continue to work at my job until a couple weeks before school starts. However, I am planning a white water rafting/bungee jumping trip with a group of my friends. And I hope to backpack Europe, hitting up 5 or 6 countries including Germany and Italy where I have friends living.

Other than that I will go out as much as humanly possible and do as much golfing, kayaking, and tennis as I can.

I'm getting married, then going on a honeymoon to some tropical location, then coming back and getting pumped up about dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am positive that NYU allows deferrals.

on a happy note, i too will be getting married, go on my honeymoon, then come back and finish anatomy (if i go to IU), and then get ready to drive a truck oh about 3000 miles to move my stuff.

ouch, but am sure i'll be loving the drive no matter where it will be taking me:)

here a total off dental topic question.

i went and got a flu shot so that i don't get any colds etc blah bla bla. the day i got the shot, i started having body aches, fever, congestion and the whole 9 yds.

now, someone told me that its normal since my body is just fighting it and that from this point on up to a yr i won't get a flu.
is this normal to get sick after a vaccine/shot?

i hope so..

Originally posted by PERFECT3435

is this normal to get sick after a vaccine/shot?

Yup.. normal body's reaction after flu shot. It occurs on some and not on other.... Cheer up ! you're immuned.

are a lot of people getting interviews at mich?

I have heard of a few people getting them, but not very many....I called a week ago and they said they are not going to be inviting for anymore interviews before Dec. 1.

dr.benj,

what does it mean that they dont give interviews before Dec 1st? are they booked till that date or have they interviewed enough candidates that need to make decisions now... this is odd since its not even November.

perfect,

my understanding about flu shots was that they were recommended for mostly elderly or those prone to flu.

Comet,

If my understanding is correct from what they told me, they have scheduled interviews up until Nov 30 and will not be sending out any more invites until mid-December.

Did you guys send thank you cards to the people who interviewed you at the prospective schools? I was talking to some of my med school buddies and they all sent cards to their interviewers....is that common practice for dental school applicants as well???

thanks

I didn't send any thank you cards....I highly doubt it will make any difference to your admittance. I figure that some secretary will get the card and throw it away, I doubt anyone from the admissions committee will even know you sent it. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I was just wondering if University of Louisville has a secondary application. I called them today and the lady told me that I have a letter on the way with a brown sheet inside that I have to return to them. I was just wondering if this is a secondary or its something else. I have sent them the 25$ application fee and my application has been under review for the past 3 weeks. Does anyone know what that brown sheet is all about?

boyan,

If I remember correctly, the sheet just asks questions about your residency status. It asks if you have lived in kentucky within the last year, or something like that. There is no essay or anything to complete. Should take about 1 minute to fill out.

Thank you dr_benj.

Received an email today from Tufts saying they have been using infosource since Oct. 15th and that we should check that for our status because of the extremely high volume of applicants it could take 6-8weeks for mailings to reach us.

However, I interviewd at Tufts close to a month ago, and I have no information from them in Infosource. Anybody else??

Here's a question:

Why the heck does the pre-allopathic section of sdn have so many peeps hovering on it, while pre-dent has only a few? :(

How many medical school applicants is there each year compared to dental school applicants?

I believe there are about 60,000 med school applicants each year for 20,000 spots....7,000 applicants to dent school for 4000 spots.

In texas, medical schools 3187 for 1339 spots. Dental school: 609 for 167 spots. so it is easier to get to medical school here.

Hey larry.

Do you know how many interviews are granted at each Texas school?

Originally posted by larryt
In texas, medical schools 3187 for 1339 spots. Dental school: 609 for 167 spots. so it is easier to get to medical school here.

By the way. How many of those 609 applicants are Texas residents? You have to look at that to.

is it true more people apply to dental school than medical school? why is this so? because of the "lower" GPA averages?

Not true at all

Med applicants more than double dent applicants (on a national basis)

man, good job.
this is the most random thing that i have seen.
i dont get it though

Does anyone know whether it's realistic to declare residency in maryland after attending school over there for one year?

I heard it's real hard, like you either have to mary someone in maryland, or work for a period of time and pay instate tuition........basically, i needed to know whether it's realistic to EXPECT to pay instate tuition after one year. Thx for all replies

hey pitbull guy,
its a lost cause. Its near impossible to get residency in maryland. Like you said, you have to either marry someone who makes 28 Gs a year or prove that you are currently paying half of your education (to be making about 15-20 grand a year while you are in school. THis is nearly impossible with the amount of work we will be doing so as you can see residency in maryland is as well very impossible. Good luck to ya though.... maryland isnt as expensive as many of these private schools!

Anybody just receive the November issue of DentalTown? Its my first issue, pretty cool!

Starting on page 10, they printed the transcript to a recent discussion on their internet message board titled "Do amalgms cause cracks and cusp fractures in teeth?"

Very interesting.

Shawn,

How do you subscribe?

Nevermind, I just found out.

I beleive its through their website

www.dentaltown.com

I dont remember subscribing, i think its automatic when you register with them.

has ANYBODY heard ANYTHING from UCLA?

I was told (a few weeks ago by email) that they would finally start interviewing soon. What a lag!

Are there any recommended courses predents should take before starting dental school for preparation? I guess IU is requiring you to take anatomy. Are there any others?

I mean I am all for partying before starting grueling dental school but I also want to kick ass once I get there. :D

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by soouh
Are there any recommended courses predents should take before starting dental school for preparation? I guess IU is requiring you to take anatomy. Are there any others?

I mean I am all for partying before starting grueling dental school but I also want to kick ass once I get there. :D

Any suggestions?

My friends in D school have told me Biochem is an absolute must, and Histology is really important as well. Some other suggestions include Anatomy, micro, path, and thats all I can think of right now.

add physiology

Will any of you have a car payment when you enter dental school?

And for those in dental school, would a small car payment (200-250$) be manageable for those who plan to live off of loans, without having to live off ramen and PB&J everyday?