* Random Question Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Biogirl,

I took a career class last semester, and thought I could add to the replies. According to our book, navy is the number one color for guys AND girls in an interview. Plus, it is also preferred for a girl to wear a skirt suit. But anyways, here's a site to give you additional information. http://amdt.wsu.edu/research/dti/

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

blankguy said:
Typical European :oops:
I ran into a bunch of Germans in Margarita Venezuela and they smoked like freaking smoke stacks. Looks like our MD buddies here at SDN will have some job security :D

Where in Spain are you? I used to live in the Canary Islands.

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I am basically living without internet and TV (but I do have a bangin tan! ;) ).

I?ll give a little summary of my trip...

I am currently in the city of Santander where I have an apartment for all of June. Santander is a beach city in the north right next to Bilbao. The beaches here a absolutely amazing! Tons of topless females, clear light blue waters, and perfect weather. The people are very friendly and life is A LOT more chill. Just last night the local bartender had his wife cook a group of us from the US a feast of Pallaya ?sp? (pronounced Pie-yay-ya) and Sangria. Despite my drunken stupor, I remember it was quite an experience!

Two weeks ago I visted Madrid for a weekend. I went to a wild nightclub called Kapital. It was nice, but I was glad to return to the tranquil environment of Santander. During the day, I checked out the Prado Museum and the royal palace/castle. wow.

Last weekend we flew to Palma, Mallorca (ayy Mallorca!) (prenouned my-or-ca). That is the main island east of Ibiza. The beaches are amazing there too, but the topless women are even more hot. :eek: Went to a craaazy rave (16? all you can drink). Danced my azz off to trance until 6 in the mornin. :thumbup:

I?m now back in Santander until my fiance finished her summer school class, then I am leaving Santander for good to visit Rome for 5 days. Thanks to my ?Europe for Dummies? book, I have an action packed week planned including visits to the Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Basilica di San Pietro, Michelangelo?s Piet?, Vatican Museums (including Rafael Rooms and the Sistine Chapel), and of course, the Colluseum.

Finally, I will fly to Bilbao for 1 day to check out the Guggenheim museum before I fly back to Paris and then to LA.

This has certainly been the experience of my lifetime. It was opened my eyes to a whole new world. Darn, I guess this post really grew from the ?little summary? I had originally planned.. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
PERFECT3435 said:
glad to hear that you are having a good time shawn.

enjoy it buddy.

btw, is that say USC 2008????

Yup, that?s what it says!! :D

How many years does it take to become a dentist?

susannaQ said:
How many years does it take to become a dentist?

First, you have to either have taken all the prereq to enter a dental school which usually (although not always) means having a BA or BS.
After that, it usually only takes 3-4 years to become a general dentist. 3 if you go to UOP, which goes through an accelerated program, and 4 at any other accredited dental school in the USA. To specialize in ortho, pedo, endo, etc...you can add a few more years after that.

very happy for you shwan.

i am glad you got your top choice acceptance.

ShawnOne said:
Yup, that?s what it says!! :D

Congrats shawn...

What happened, you get off the waitlist?

JRogoff said:
Congrats shawn...

What happened, you get off the waitlist?

Yeah, I was accepted in early June. After visiting LV, I realized I wanted to really stay in LA with my family and friends.

ShawnOne said:
Sorry it took me a while to respond. I am basically living without internet and TV (but I do have a bangin tan! ;) ).

I?ll give a little summary of my trip...

I am currently in the city of Santander where I have an apartment for all of June. Santander is a beach city in the north right next to Bilbao. The beaches here a absolutely amazing! Tons of topless females, clear light blue waters, and perfect weather. The people are very friendly and life is A LOT more chill. Just last night the local bartender had his wife cook a group of us from the US a feast of Pallaya ?sp? (pronounced Pie-yay-ya) and Sangria. Despite my drunken stupor, I remember it was quite an experience!

Two weeks ago I visted Madrid for a weekend. I went to a wild nightclub called Kapital. It was nice, but I was glad to return to the tranquil environment of Santander. During the day, I checked out the Prado Museum and the royal palace/castle. wow.

Last weekend we flew to Palma, Mallorca (ayy Mallorca!) (prenouned my-or-ca). That is the main island east of Ibiza. The beaches are amazing there too, but the topless women are even more hot. :eek: Went to a craaazy rave (16? all you can drink). Danced my azz off to trance until 6 in the mornin. :thumbup:

I?m now back in Santander until my fiance finished her summer school class, then I am leaving Santander for good to visit Rome for 5 days. Thanks to my ?Europe for Dummies? book, I have an action packed week planned including visits to the Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Basilica di San Pietro, Michelangelo?s Piet?, Vatican Museums (including Rafael Rooms and the Sistine Chapel), and of course, the Colluseum.

Finally, I will fly to Bilbao for 1 day to check out the Guggenheim museum before I fly back to Paris and then to LA.

This has certainly been the experience of my lifetime. It was opened my eyes to a whole new world. Darn, I guess this post really grew from the ?little summary? I had originally planned.. :laugh:

Hehehehe, but man those Germans they are so ugly! (That's less competition for you ladies to worry about! :D ) I don't care if they are topless. Should check out the caribbean and Venezuela. Europe--->topless Latin America--->skimpy suits(ahem! Butt floss) :D Yeah it does open your eyes(more like make your eyes bulge ):laugh:

You really should check out the south. The beaches are much nicer.

I'm glad you made it to dental school. I've got a long road ahead and a massive blemish to recover.

If anyone gets a chance to visit Brazil, you should check out Ipenama Beach in Rio de Janeiro. Ay, Ay, Ay? Going topless is the norm, and these nude beaches are not filled with gay dude and old lady such as Black Sands beach in San Diego. The tong bikini was invented in Brazil. Watch out for the transvestite, they are very common in Rio. Sorry if I offend any Brazilian by propagating the naked lady and party stereotypy some Brazilian get tried of hearing.

Thaxil said:
If anyone gets a chance to visit Brazil, you should check out Ipenama Beach in Rio de Janeiro. Ay, Ay, Ay? Going topless is the norm, and these nude beaches are not filled with gay dude and old lady such as Black Sands beach in San Diego. The tong bikini was invented in Brazil. Watch out for the transvestite, they are very common in Rio. Sorry if I offend any Brazilian by propagating the naked lady and party stereotypy some Brazilian get tried of hearing.

Or me propagating that all Germans are either nudist or going topless. Nudism go its start in Germany. The land of Martin Luther just chilling :D

What do you do if, during a procedure, a dire need to break wind suddenly arises? I'm actually being quasi-serious. Do we all have to stop eating beans and broccoli when we start clinic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats simple. Make sure you do not use those plastic cover chairs. Get the cushined ones. It'll absorb it.

Worst case scenario, blame it on the dental hygienest...

abina81

trypmo said:
What do you do if, during a procedure, a dire need to break wind suddenly arises? I'm actually being quasi-serious. Do we all have to stop eating beans and broccoli when we start clinic?

This is simple. Right before you pass gas turn the suction up all the way. This should drown out most of the sound. If you are worried about smell, just start drilling a tooth. That smell can mask any fart. If the procedure doesn't call for drilling, just say you spotted a cavity that needed immediate attention.

trypmo said:

Tell the patient you need some hi-tech drill in another part of the clinic. While you're out, let er rip

Hey guys,

I'm taking "Childrens Literature" right now, and was wondering if this english course can count as the English pre-requisite for Dental Schools.. (the course itself requires a lot of reading -- although not heavy, and a lot of essay writing)

any inputs? :confused:
- thanks

I was finally able to speak with my landlord today about moving out and he throw a pissy fit. He basically said, 'O you are going to screw Old Peter over now after all these years. Your not going to give 30 day notice and now I have to go a month without anyone renting.'

The thing is I did try to give him 30 day notice but he is so damn cheap it makes it impossible to give it to him. There no manger of the apartment or representative expect a Spanish speaking woman who I try to communicate my intentions and apparently did not mention it to my notice to my landlord. He also just returned from vacation so how could I tell him. Well I guess I should forget about seeing any of the deposit coming my way.

Why does Ken on Jepordy always tie the one day record and not beat it? All it takes is one more dollar during final jepordy and he has it, this is really pissing me off!

Good question Rogoff...very random indeed!

What private lender have people on this board been choosing? I just sent my promisary note to Key for thier "ADEAL" loan. Now I'm looking at the T.H.E. loan by northstar and wondering if it was a better deal... The differene really lies with the repayment incentives.

My 1000th post. :hardy: Have I really hit that button 1000 times already? ;)

Also sporting a new avatar for this celebratory event.

JRogoff said:
Why does Ken on Jepordy always tie the one day record and not beat it? All it takes is one more dollar during final jepordy and he has it, this is really pissing me off!

:laugh:

HI-
I submitted my application to AADSAS on July 5. Now I am not sure what to do. My people have sent in their letters of evaluation and also my transcripts. I am taking the DAT Aug 18. Do I go ahead and send in all of the application fees or do I wait to hear from AADSAS, or what do I need to do? Will they not do anything with my application until they receive my DAT scores in August? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks bunches!

HI-
I submitted my application to AADSAS on July 5. Now I am not sure what to do. My people have sent in their letters of evaluation and also my transcripts. I am taking the DAT Aug 18. Do I go ahead and send in all of the application fees or do I wait to hear from AADSAS, or what do I need to do? Will they not do anything with my application until they receive my DAT scores in August? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks bunches!

I beleive the answer to your question is on the FAQ, if not, it should be.

You can go ahead and complete everything associated with AADSAS now (just leave the DAT sections blank). Also, send in your application fees.
Once you take the test in August, the ADA will forward your scores to the schools you specified upon signing up within a couple weeks. Also, you can try calling the schools after taking the test, some may ask for a fax copy of your score paper.

good luck.

Is there any way to check which schools I had my DAT scores sent to? I've made a few changes since then and would like to forward my schools to my new selections. Thanks!!

drat said:
Is there any way to check which schools I had my DAT scores sent to? I've made a few changes since then and would like to forward my schools to my new selections. Thanks!!

Try directly contacting the ADA. I found out the hard way that you cannot modify the list of schools you have sent your scores to. Once you have paid for their service, then the only thing you can do is add schools to the list - not subtract. If sufficient time has passed since you took the DAT, then I would contact the schools that you are applying to see if they have received your scores. The worst thing that could happen is you would send an additional copy of your scores to a school. Though spending $10 to complete your application is better than not and having your chances blown at that school.

Ken finally beat the 1 day record. :p

ShawnOne said:
Ken finally beat the 1 day record. :p

I didn't get to watch tonight, how much was it?

he won $75,000 today, 1.3 million overall.

ShawnOne said:
he won $75,000 today, 1.3 million overall.

Holly Crap! He didn't beat the one day record, he killed it!

A question about LOR's :

There are dental schools that ask for LOR's mainly from science prof's and some schools that require additional LOR's for other people (ie -- dentist, non-science prof. etc..) Does AADSAS know which LOR's to send to certain schools?? or would i send those in separately??

UofT-Girl said:
A question about LOR's :

There are dental schools that ask for LOR's mainly from science prof's and some schools that require additional LOR's for other people (ie -- dentist, non-science prof. etc..) Does AADSAS know which LOR's to send to certain schools?? or would i send those in separately??

I am pretty sure they send all your LORs to all the schools you applied to. If you want certain ones to go to certain schools, i think you'll have to send them yourself.

AADSAS will send all your LOR to all of the schools you applied to. If you only want certain letters to go to certain schools, you will have to send them in separately. Trying to send them all in yourself seems like a pain. I think it would be better just to send all of the recommendations to AADSAS and have them mailed out if this means you have 4-5 LOR total. Hope that makes sense. Good luck

Jessica

Yes AADSAS do send all LORs to your respective schools, and the schools will certainly look over all LORs received. Even though the non-required LORs will not be factored in to their evaluation, they will still keep those as references and will take a look to see if the comments that are written on those are consistent with comments written on required LORs.

It's not terrible to have 4 or possibly 5 letters of rec (might be pushing it), but just don't send too many in. I think I got by just fine with three. One from a research advisor, one from the health professions committee and one from my favorite biology prof. I could see how adcoms would frown upon 6 or 7 or 35 lor's. :)

anyone got in with little to no volunteer/extrac activities?

I just came back from an orthodontist office today, and the dotor was really helpful in providing me advice and suggestions on what to do.

The other day, I also talked to someone who just finished two years at Ross University, and he really suggested me to go there.

So... the more I think about medical school, the more I feel that it is a greater committment then I willing to give. The more I think about being a dentist, it just seems like that as a very practical route. The hours are good, the pay is good (I imagine it almost better than doctors in certain circumstances), the schooling is less, the field is smaller so there is much more opportunities to be involved, both could be just as intellectually challenging. I don't think I would be intellectually bored being an orthodontist.

The truth for me is that my passion for medical school isn't so solidly rooted, and neither is being a dentist, or optometrist, or whatever. What is solidly rooted is my desire to study, learn and to do well on tests.

Either case, I'm going to talk to more people, and to really find out what each of the profession entails. And I'm going to talk to people who actually like their profession.

Hi,

Are we supposed to send transcripts for AP classes to AADSAS? If so how are we supposed to get them? The reason I am asking is that on the infosource website it lists that they received my other transcripts but not thise for high school AP credit.

Thanks

jk5177 said:
...Either case, I'm going to talk to more people, and to really find out what each of the profession entails. And I'm going to talk to people who actually like their profession.

That sounds like a good plan of action. It's alright if you want to change your mind - its better to do it when you are young than when you are old and many doors of opportunity have been shut.

I've been reading the forums frequently, and basically everyone has emphasized that we should apply "early"..

If i was to submit my application to AADSAS around the end of August, would that be late?..and would i be at a disadvantage in any way?

UofT-Girl said:
I've been reading the forums frequently, and basically everyone has emphasized that we should apply "early"..

If i was to submit my application to AADSAS around the end of August, would that be late?..and would i be at a disadvantage in any way?

That's getting there. I am sure by then the number of applications received will be around 3500 - and that's just guessing by the numbers posted here on SDN. Disadvantage? Perhaps only in the sense that schools will be suddenly flooded with lots of similar looking applications. Advantage? It's not the end of September.

I would like to register on Dentaltown's website to actually be able to look at the information they have, but does anyone know the answer to the qualifying question (what the o stands for in MOD)? Thanks!

AUTigers said:
I would like to register on Dentaltown's website to actually be able to look at the information they have, but does anyone know the answer to the qualifying question (what the o stands for in MOD)? Thanks!
OCCLUSAL

What's so special about dentaltown.com?

In regards to having too many LOR. I know that at UCSF, the reader of your application is only required to read 3 LOR's, so if they don't get to your best LOR because you send in 5 of them, then it will be a slight loss.

Random question.... how do you remove a thread that you started on this forum????