Random question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

connie95

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will reading and analyzing The Inferno help with mcat verbal reasoning? Is it even a recommended book to prepare?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dante for VR? I hardly think so.. Fun to read, no doubt.

It couldn't hurt in that it's practice reading and gleaning ideas from a text.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will reading and analyzing The Inferno help with mcat verbal reasoning? Is it even a recommended book to prepare?

The only thing that helped me with VR (my worst section) was taking VR section tests. There really isn't anything else like it. In general, just make sure your reading and comprehension are the best they can be, regardless of what works best for others, that's what matters most.

The difficulty of VR is seldom simply having a "grasp" of the passage, but being able to answer specific, sometimes ambiguous, questions about it with a very carefully crafted selection of also often ambiguous answer choices. That's not the way most people read anything, whether Dante or the NYTimes.

The difficulty of VR is seldom simply having a "grasp" of the passage, but being able to answer specific, sometimes ambiguous, questions about it with a very carefully crafted selection of also often ambiguous answer choices. That's not the way most people read anything, whether Dante or the NYTimes.

Hence why the best way is taking the practice section tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Just do practice VR sections lol. Dante is good, but hardly the most efficient use of your time if your goal is to practice.

Good book though.

Just take practice tests and go with your gut above all else. 90% of the time your first instinct is correct, but that little voice in the back of your mind that says mayyybe another answer could be correct, tries to mess with you

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

No. take practice passages and analyze trends in the types of passages, questions, and answers. There are some types of questions and passages you will do really well on. Figure out what you're doing right there. For those you don't do well on, analyze your thought processes while reading the passage and how you approach the questions/answers. Try to adjust these by changing approaches until you find one that gets you the right answers.

Okay, because I reason I asked is I have to take a literature class and I'm not sure what to take. I have to choose from Italian (Dante's Inferno), Chinese (collection of Chinese poetry, novels, etc.), or Arabic (collection of Middle Eastern literature) literature.

Considering none of them really help for the MCAT, what would you take?? I really can't seem to decide! Btw, all of them are taught in English...we don't need to know the language.

is there one that might make me stand out a bit?

It's up to you. Do whichever one you find is most interesting. Personally they all sound dull to me. But I dislike foreign/historic poetry/literature. If I had to pick I'd probably go with Italian though.