Random Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatttF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if you were to apply to a med school with a GPA of ~3.8 and an MCAT score of ~39 with minimal but some clinical/volunteer experience, okay LORs and minimal extracurriculars would you still have a shot of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Applicants with high stats aren't guaranteed an acceptance. Meager activities would be one of the reasons why such a person would not be successful. Since every school has its own expectations, though, it's also possible to get an acceptance based on other criteria.

Define minimal

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think an example of someone who might be successful in this situation would be someone with a solid research background, but minimal activity in clincally-related ECs. They might have a shot at academic medicine. However, such a hypothetical applicant would need to devise a good reason for "Why Medicine" over a PhD. (Or maybe an MD/PhD may be easier for this applicant, idk).

If you mean minimal activities in every aspect, numbers alone will not get people in. There's a reason only 91.6% (and not 100%) of applicants with a 3.8+ and 39+ get into medical school. Lack of ECs and clinical exposure are likely culprits.

i know of someone with 3.9 GPA from public Ivy and 43 MCAT, 1 semester of minimal research, under <100 hrs of clinical experience, no other leaderships/ECs, and turned in primary late august. Got 4 interviews and 1 acceptance.

but still, n=1