Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone think it would come off as rude/presumptuous if I outright asked for a paid position at a local vet clinic for the summer? Obviously I would add a bit more content to the conversation, but does anyone have any thoughts on that? There's a specific local clinic that seems like it would be an excellent fit for me (if I don't get the Banfield SJP), but I am weighing doing unpaid vet work vs. a random paid summer job (if I can find one). I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with my initial contact attempt.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone think it would come off as rude/presumptuous if I outright asked for a paid position at a local vet clinic for the summer? Obviously I would add a bit more content to the conversation, but does anyone have any thoughts on that? There's a specific local clinic that seems like it would be an excellent fit for me (if I don't get the Banfield SJP), but I am weighing doing unpaid vet work vs. a random paid summer job (if I can find one). I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with my initial contact attempt.

If you're polite about it, it shouldn't be viewed as rude. Compliment their clinic a lot to grease the wheel and then ask if they have any need for summer help. If they say yes, ask how you apply and move forward from there. If you make it clear you're looking for a job there shouldn't be any need to clarify paid vs. unpaid (they shouldn't be allowing anyone to work for them wage-free anyway).

Reactions: 1 user
I need money bitches!

Kidding.

I would tell them that you enjoy spending time there, like the team and would like to get more hours but in order to pay your bills you need a job and do they have any openings.

Or something like that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just read a blog post written by the manager of a farrowing barn (addressing controversies in animal agriculture). At the end of his post he gives his email address and his cell phone number, and invites people to contact him with questions. It's awesome that he's being to accessible, but at the same time I can't imagine how many phone calls he's getting. :wideyed:

Reactions: 3 users

My old clinic would occasionally get emails like this, and it was never taken as a faux pas or anything. Just say that you're a current vet student looking for a summer job, and you are interested in their practice for reasons x, y, and z. Ask if they are expecting to hire extra help for summer, and if you can send them your resume for a potential assistant position.

Reactions: 1 users
When your entire class votes you most likely to fall down the stairs of a lecture hall...because it happened...

also @batsenecal won a raffle.

Reactions: 6 users
When your entire class votes you most likely to fall down the stairs of a lecture hall...because it happened...

also @batsenecal won a raffle.

And as I posted on my Snapchat, I have no idea how much is on my giftcard as I was way too tipsy to ask.

Netflix added more episodes of the Great British Baking Show!!!!! :biglove:

There goes my weekend of "studying":rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
Netflix added more episodes of the Great British Baking Show!!!!! :biglove:

There goes my weekend of "studying":rofl:
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Mary-Berry-GBBO-perfection-GIF.gif

I bought three 25lb bags of rabbit food today. I don't normally buy that much, but the store I usually go to is closing in the next few months and I have yet to find another store in Columbus that sells Buckeye Nutrition rabbit feed (it's a maintenance feed for show rabbits, made in Ohio, well priced, and all of my rabbits have done really well on it for 15+ years). In the future I'll have to either go to small expensive bags of Oxbow or Kaytee (which has always been hit or miss with my rabbits in regards to palatability) or I have to find a TSC and buy bigger brand commercial feeds like Manna Pro or DuMOR.

Either way, little bunnies don't like it when you change their nom nomz.

I bought three 25lb bags of rabbit food today. I don't normally buy that much, but the store I usually go to is closing in the next few months and I have yet to find another store in Columbus that sells Buckeye Nutrition rabbit feed (it's a maintenance feed for show rabbits, made in Ohio, well priced, and all of my rabbits have done really well on it for 15+ years). In the future I'll have to either go to small expensive bags of Oxbow or Kaytee (which has always been hit or miss with my rabbits in regards to palatability) or I have to find a TSC and buy bigger brand commercial feeds like Manna Pro or DuMOR.

Does the brand have a website?? Possibly could buy it straight from them?

Does the brand have a website?? Possibly could buy it straight from them?

The brand's site doesn't sell it directly to consumers and the stores they list as selling their brand (online at least) do not carry the rabbit feeds (horse feeds and products, yes). One day I'll have to call their customer line and see if they fill any orders for any smaller feed stores in central Ohio. The store I usually buy from doesn't show up on their dealer list so I would hope there are other small sellers out there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your school might have an Oxbow student rep (ours does at least), they might be able to hook you up with student discounts. I'm pretty sure purina and royal canin both offer this kind of deal, I would like oxbow would too

**But I guess this wont be too much of a help currently

Why are kids so mean to eachother sometimes? My ten year old sister was crying tonight because her friend sent her a very unnecessary Instagram message. My sister is very sweet and soft spoken, I don't get why her "best friend" had to send her a message saying she ruined life...

Why are kids so mean to eachother sometimes? My ten year old sister was crying tonight because her friend sent her a very unnecessary Instagram message. My sister is very sweet and soft spoken, I don't get why her "best friend" had to send her a message saying she ruined life...

Ten year olds shouldn't have to deal with that crap. They should be reading Harry Potter and playing foursquare. I'm sorry your sister is dealing with this. :( . Is your mom going to chat with the brat's mom about not being a brat? I am more than happy to go crazy lady on brat's mom if she is unreasonable!

Definitely on here right now because I'm procrastinating going through the absolute last two lectures I need to add to my integrated notes. This professor has horribly organized lectures she just reads off of. Haven't been to her class in days. I'm afraid to see if these lectures are 50 slides long.

Ten year olds shouldn't have to deal with that crap. They should be reading Harry Potter and playing foursquare. I'm sorry your sister is dealing with this. :( . Is your mom going to chat with the brat's mom about not being a brat? I am more than happy to go crazy lady on brat's mom if she is unreasonable!

Definitely on here right now because I'm procrastinating going through the absolute last two lectures I need to add to my integrated notes. This professor has horribly organized lectures she just reads off of. Haven't been to her class in days. I'm afraid to see if these lectures are 50 slides long.
I think she's going to wait to see if other little girl says anything about it or apologizes today and then go from there. Hopefully she won't have to go all crazy lady haha. (Hope the procrastinating went well :) )

Your school might have an Oxbow student rep (ours does at least), they might be able to hook you up with student discounts. I'm pretty sure purina and royal canin both offer this kind of deal, I would like oxbow would too

**But I guess this wont be too much of a help currently
We do have an Oxbow rep. Not sure who it will be next year as the current one will be entering clinics in May. @Jess Monster I can PM you the current reps info so you can see if that would be something you would be interested in when you start here in the fall

So we had a TNR program today at the CVM and I was working Recovery for the post-op kitties. For some reason a lot of people/ vets brought their children so I had a lot of children following me around. I was explaining what we were looking for in the kitties, when an 8 year old girl sternly told me "you know. You're not going to be a good veterinarian if you call all felines 'kitty'. It's very immature".

So obviously I started calling every cat "kitty kitty meow meow", and then the angry cats would be "kitty kitty hiss hiss". I aspire to be @vetmedhead level of sassy :laugh:

Reactions: 11 users
So we had a TNR program today at the CVM and I was working Recovery for the post-op kitties. For some reason a lot of people/ vets brought their children so I had a lot of children following me around. I was explaining what we were looking for in the kitties, when an 8 year old girl sternly told me "you know. You're not going to be a good veterinarian if you call all felines 'kitty'. It's very immature".

So obviously I started calling every cat "kitty kitty meow meow", and then the angry cats would be "kitty kitty hiss hiss". I aspire to be @vetmedhead level of sassy :laugh:

We definitely have at least 2 profs that I can think of who consistently refer to cats as kitties during lectures :p

I can't imagine what kind of a lovely person that 8 year-old will be when they are older :rolleyes:

I call most cats kitty... I also call abdominal ultrasounds "belly ultrasounds." I'm going to be an awful vet!

We definitely have at least 2 profs that I can think of who consistently refer to cats as kitties during lectures :p
I see nothing wrong with calling them kitties colloquially. Granted, if you're writing a research proposal, don't write "kitties" but my vet calls them kitties when we're talking to clients.
I can't imagine what kind of a lovely person that 8 year-old will be when they are older :rolleyes:
She's obviously gonna be a better vet than any of us. Duh.
I regularly call cats "kit kats" or "little fluffer" in exam rooms. What kind of vet am I?!
Clearly a terrible one. Extremely unprofessional. :rofl:

I can imagine. I'm pretty sure that I've met a few people like that in my adult life who are deathly serious and see any kind of fun as a threat to professional decorum. They don't get invited to things.

We do have an Oxbow rep. Not sure who it will be next year as the current one will be entering clinics in May. @Jess Monster I can PM you the current reps info so you can see if that would be something you would be interested in when you start here in the fall

Go ahead and send me the current rep's info. I know that I've heard people talking about being brand rep's before but I'm not entirely sure what the job entails.

My birthday is usually a big deal to me. But this year I'm alone in a hotel room at a rotation. At least I have my pups with me now.

My birthday is usually a big deal to me. But this year I'm alone in a hotel room at a rotation. At least I have my pups with me now.
Happy birthday! That's how I spent mine too :( and my boyfriend tried to order me a yummy burger to be delivered and the delivery got all messed up and I didn't get dinner until midnight :(

Happy Birthday Abs!

(I almost did on Facebook earlier, but was at work and had things distracting me)

I often browse SDN on my phone using the browser (not the app) and occasionally the formatting gets all wonky. Today it got wonky and won't switch back. I switched from "blue" (my fave) to old school (not nearly as nice looking imo) and the formatting is fine on old school. Anyone else ever have this issue?
IMG_2544.PNG

Reactions: 4 users
I often browse SDN on my phone using the browser (not the app) and occasionally the formatting gets all wonky. Today it got wonky and won't switch back. I switched from "blue" (my fave) to old school (not nearly as nice looking imo) and the formatting is fine on old school. Anyone else ever have this issue?
View attachment 215494
Having this issue on my iPad

Woah, it looks weird for me on Chrome on my Android phone too.