Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All I want in my life right now is a sub from Wawa.
God I miss that establishment.
Wawa is amazing, and you spelled hoagie wrong. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This big bird has been perching on top of a trellis on my outdoor deck.

It has been wiggling the white feathery area located underneath its beak and making lots of loud noises (which is causing my indoor cat monumental grief because she wants to kill bird).

What type of bird is it? Does anyone know?

Bird1A.jpg
Bird2A.jpg

No expert, but it looks like maybe some sort of heron to me.

I was thinking it looked like a hatch year great blue heron, but from the photo it looks like the legs might be too short/broad. Plus the angle of the back is far too low (though that could be the bird posing weirdly).

How long were the legs? And what part of the country are you in?

New HaloTop flavors are top shelf amazing

Reactions: 1 user
Ooooo which ones have you tried??
Ranked in order of favorite:
Pancake and Waffles
Caramel Macchiato
Rainbow Swirl
Cinnamon Bun

Have a pint of candy bar at my MIL's waiting to be eaten next week. Don't care about the green tea one, and just haven't found a choc covered banana pint.

Also, pumpkin pie is coming soon

YESSSS

Except the rainbow swirl one :(
You're entitled to your wrong opinion :p

Ranked in order of favorite:
Pancake and Waffles
Caramel Macchiato
Rainbow Swirl
Cinnamon Bun

Have a pint of candy bar at my MIL's waiting to be eaten next week. Don't care about the green tea one, and just haven't found a choc covered banana pint.

Also, pumpkin pie is coming soon

You're entitled to your wrong opinion :p
Odamn pumpkin pie. I need that.

And I'll definitely have to try some of the new flavors sooooon :heckyeah:

Members don't see this ad :)
Odamn pumpkin pie. I need that.

And I'll definitely have to try some of the new flavors sooooon :heckyeah:
I'm hoping my one comment made on the facebook page last year that the page admin responded to gets listened to.
Gimmie peppermint and eggnog flavors this holiday and I will buy out the greater lafayette area I promise

I'm hoping my one comment made on the facebook page last year that the page admin responded to gets listened to.
Gimmie peppermint and eggnog flavors this holiday and I will buy out the greater lafayette area I promise
Ooh, peppermint would probably be really good! Especially if they put little candy cane pieces in it. I bought some regular mint chocolate chip Blue Bell icecream this week because it was on sale and ate some of it tonight. I realized I think I like the halotop mint chip better. The mint tastes less artificial or something.

Ooh, peppermint would probably be really good! Especially if they put little candy cane pieces in it. I bought some regular mint chocolate chip Blue Bell icecream this week because it was on sale and ate some of it tonight. I realized I think I like the halotop mint chip better. The mint tastes less artificial or something.
I'm disappointed with Blue Bell every time I get it. We have a generic peppermint ice cream here that's so delicious.

007_elantratouring_review_opt.jpg

Sadly I am saying goodbye to my beloved faithful Ronald-truck. After driving him for over a year after being told I needed repairs done I had to accept that those said repairs are going to cost far more than he is even worth in the first place. This is my new car (the car, not this particular photo).

I need name suggestions! Medical or biology/ecology-themed suggestions preferred.

Sadly I am saying goodbye to my beloved faithful Ronald-truck. After driving him for over a year after being told I needed repairs done I had to accept that those said repairs are going to cost far more than he is even worth in the first place. This is my new car (the car, not this particular photo).

I need name suggestions! Medical or biology/ecology-themed suggestions preferred.
Is zhe a boy or a girl or do we need to do ambiguous names until you decide

Gubernaculum. Call it Goober. You're welcome.

Edit: This is also my go-to suggestion for a derpy labrador.

Reactions: 5 users
@TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo

Medulla oblongata (it sounds like a Harry Potter spell!)

Sarc (sarcoma) because the abbreviation sounds cool

Mets (metastatic) for same reason as above

Ascaris (because horses)

Spirit? (Movie . . . ) Or Cimarron

I always thought margo plicatus sounded like a girl's name, if you want something feminine. (It's the division between the glandular and non-glandular portions of the equine stomach)

ETA: There's also crista terminalis or crista galli, either one just Crista for short.

Do not open door to chinchilla's cage because you want to stroke the chinchilla's super-cute bushy tail. :bucktooth:

Chinchilla bolted out of cage with lightning speed and sprinted behind large bookcase.

Took an hour to remove books from bookcase, and slowly move bookcase, before apprehending rogue chinchilla - chinchilla very FAST!

chinchilla.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Post anatomy exam junk food and horror films, yay!

What I should be doing is studying for Epi or like cleaning something.

I took stuff to be dry cleaned today and I feel like such an adult person. :D I'm still not really sure what dry cleaning is, or why anyone ever invented clothing that couldn't be washed in water? Why even bother? But they're wool-blend coats (and they look Sherlock Holmes-y and fancy!) and they were each less than ten dollars at goodwill, so I don't mind so terribly. But still . . . dry cleaning? :eyebrow:

Reactions: 3 users
So not really sure where to put this but does anyone else here do allergy shots? I've been doing them for 2 years now and it's great. However about a month into the highest dose when I was getting them in my arms, my upper left arm went numb so we changed injection site to my hip area. Everything has been going well the past year except these past few weeks. On one hip a few hours after injection I got random pricking pain every so often at the injection site and recently I'm alot more sensitive when get my shots. My injection person told me to see how I did this week and report back but was wondering what others experiences were.

So not really sure where to put this but does anyone else here do allergy shots? I've been doing them for 2 years now and it's great. However about a month into the highest dose when I was getting them in my arms, my upper left arm went numb so we changed injection site to my hip area. Everything has been going well the past year except these past few weeks. On one hip a few hours after injection I got random pricking pain every so often at the injection site and recently I'm alot more sensitive when get my shots. My injection person told me to see how I did this week and report back but was wondering what others experiences were.
I do but I’m only two months in so probably not much help. I get mild bruising and itching and that’s it so far.

We had a pretty cool cytology sent to us from an outside clinic yesterday. Likely first-reported-case, publication worthy stuff if we can prove what we strongly suspect. So I call the vet this morning to talk about it and offer to foot the bill for some histopath with our teaching funds if the owner is up for it. The vet thought the owner would probably euthanize because of what we diagnosed, but she would ask about a necropsy. Unfortunately for the owner and dog, they are going to euthanize tomorrow afternoon. The logistical problem is that I want/need blood from this dog in addition to the biopsies, the clinic is outside of the courier service, and if they mail the sample it'll go bad before we get it on Monday. So now I get to drive like 1.5 hours each way to go pick these samples up early Saturday morning if I want them. It's a little frustrating to give up my day off, but I'm very, very grateful for a wonderful rDVM who is willing to work with us and have tough necropsy talks with owners so that I can reap the benefits. I may show up to the clinic with goodies if I can find something affordable on a resident salary. Donuts are a bit overdone but I've never seen them go to waste...

Reactions: 12 users
This thread was on the second page :eek:!! We've been neglecting our random duties.

I heard back from the night shift job I applied for (3 am - 7 am), and they hired a different candidate. BUT I just applied for a radio job that is similar hours, and apparently they're getting desperate because I've seen this add floating around all fall and it was just posted again, so that's a good thing, right? :whistle:

Reactions: 2 users
I am a guy that does not dance. I have never danced (other than at prom or parties) in my life. Tonight I have to dance with 19 other people in front of 4000 people. Talk about out of my comfort zone! We have been practicing for a month so hopefully it will go well. (Part of homecoming week festivities) It is being streamed live and my mom is going to watch too! Crazy! I honestly had no clue when my gf talked me into signing up for this. At least she is dancing too (but not my partner).

The gas gauge on my truck decided to malfunction so in the middle of my drive to/from school it will go down to zero and the low fuel light will pop on. Even though I know the tank is full and the truck already has had the gauge replaced once in its long life, it still makes things very interesting when I'm stuck in highway traffic.

The gas gauge on my truck decided to malfunction so in the middle of my drive to/from school it will go down to zero and the low fuel light will pop on. Even though I know the tank is full and the truck already has had the gauge replaced once in its long life, it still makes things very interesting when I'm stuck in highway traffic.
From now on, when you fill your gas tank, set your "trip odometer" to 0 or if you don't have one of those, write down your mileage in a little notebook you keep in the car. I think most vehicles get ~300miles per tank. Use that as a gauge to know when you need to get gas. At least that is what we do in my dad's one truck that has a gas gauge problem.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know any non-lethal methods of praying mantis control? I have a mild (or not mild) personal issue with them and they must know, because they love to hang out on my front door. I don't want to kill them or anything, but if they could kindly not sit on my doorknob...

Anyone know any non-lethal methods of praying mantis control? I have a mild (or not mild) personal issue with them and they must know, because they love to hang out on my front door. I don't want to kill them or anything, but if they could kindly not sit on my doorknob...
Wait like a month. There really isn't anything you can do to get rid of them. They are pretty harmless. I know they can bite, but that's pretty uncommon and they aren't venomous. (I get it, that probably doesn't make you feel any better.)

Wait like a month. There really isn't anything you can do to get rid of them. They are pretty harmless. I know they can bite, but that's pretty uncommon and they aren't venomous. (I get it, that probably doesn't make you feel any better.)
They just creep me out beyond all reason. I get the chills (I also don't do grasshoppers or crickets). Plus the individual that hangs out on my door most often turns his head to look at me whenever I walk up so it's even more unsettling :laugh:

They just creep me out beyond all reason. I get the chills (I also don't do grasshoppers or crickets). Plus the individual that hangs out on my door most often turns his head to look at me whenever I walk up so it's even more unsettling :laugh:
They're such neat animals! I used to play with them as a kid lol. Let'em beeee.