Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have no problem being corrected. But that's if they're giving correct info and not calling my integrity into question (in response to that comment of fraud is unbecoming in future veterinarians).
Definitely understand that. I do think though she may be misinformed and/or making certain assumptions because the number of people that live on student loans and then use that money to take care of pets is ALOT. That or ALOT of people are committing fraud. Her information just does not make sense for how loans are structured and the number of people that use them the various ways they do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think she's making assumptions as well. She mentions that hobbies can't be included in that. Even for those students who don't have pets (like me), I definitely use my loans for paint, books, etc. At that point, I would be willing to bet my out of state tuition that >90% of loan holders have committed loan fraud.

The loans are simply too vague for that to be a thing.

If someone wants to use their loans to pay for a huge vacation to Vegas complete with gambling, I still don't think it's fraud.

It's stupid af...

But not fraud.

Your idiot ass has to pay it back with interest. Spend it on whatever, but it's smart to spend as little as possible...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Vacation destination suggestions?

Fiance wants relaxing with some sight seeing, I'm a bit more willing to go-go-go all day. We both want warmth and sunshine if possible.
@DVMDream is correct: there is something for everyone in California, including beaches, mountains, lakes, deserts, entertainment, recreation, amusement parks, etc. Depending on your interests, you can do a little bit of sightseeing (or a lot of sightseeing) in California in 3-4 days.

I've been to Costa Rica and suspect you might want to spend longer than 3-4 days in Costa Rica.

Here's why:

Costa Rica has volcanoes, beaches, national parks and rain forests; zip lines, cloud forests, abundant wildlife and many other things that will probably capture your attention (and make you want to stay longer than 3-4 days).

I spent a lot of time at the beaches of Guanacaste, as well as a lot of time exploring the rain forests, cloud forest, wildlife and Arenal Volcano. If you want to spend 3-4 days in Costa Rica, you might want to spend those days in one location because getting to-and-from different sites/regions in Costa Rica is often time-consuming.

I had a room with a direct view of Arenal Volcano. @Jilary is right: Arenal Volcano is spectacular. When I was there, the volcano glowed with molten lava at nighttime. I spent 3 days at the volcano before transiting to another location. I still have the name of my Arenal hotel if you ever want it ... no worries.

Here are some other suggestions for a short 3-4 day getaway to a sunny location (and the flight time from the USA is not super-lengthy to these locations):

- Mexican Yucatan Peninsula (e.g., Tulum, Chichen Itza, Cozumel). You can stay at a beautiful Yucatan Peninsula beach resort, go snorkeling or diving, and visit interesting Mayan ruins.

- Mexican Pacific Shore Coast (e.g., Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo). Lots of beach and ocean activities ... or do nothing and relax on the beach, eating good food and drinking lots of refreshing beverages.

The tropical weather is warm in these areas; and the peak storm season is normally over by the end of November. I've also traveled to the Caribbean in the late Fall and Winter. Of course, weather is never guaranteed to be "perfect" in the Caribbean, nor in Mexico. Just saying.

Wherever you and your fiance decide to travel, I hope you both have an amazing time! :)

Last edited:
Isn't Acapulco a little bit violent? Drug cartels are messing up vacation spots. I hear Cancun is having trouble these days as well. I think Cozumel is still okay?

Just do a little research before visiting Mexico, I suppose.

Isn't Acapulco a little bit violent? Drug cartels are messing up vacation spots. I hear Cancun is having trouble these days as well. I think Cozumel is still okay?

Just do a little research before visiting Mexico, I suppose.
No idea about Acapulco, but I know Cozumel and Cancun both have their good areas and bad areas- they’re about the same, honestly because they’re all together on Riviera Maya.

I personally prefer Cancun/ Puerto Adventuras, since in Cozumel, you’ll need to take a boat to the mainland if you want to do anything. But I agree, you have to do your research about where is good/ safe.

Who is that person anyway and where did they come from? It's like saying you aren't allowed to live. Also as a side note then *all* vet students and many other students are committing fraud.
She's actually an associate dean at Mizzou, I recognized her name from my interviews and file reviews. But that definitely makes no sense, I'm surprised Mizzou would take such a hardline stance.

Has anyone done/applied for the week summer training with USDA on Plum Island?

She's actually an associate dean at Mizzou, I recognized her name from my interviews and file reviews. But that definitely makes no sense, I'm surprised Mizzou would take such a hardline stance.

School administration jobs really draw out the zealots.

Even so, technically there are things you can't (shouldn't) use your loan money to pay for, but, aside from getting a forensic accountant to pour over your finances and determine how and where and when each penny was used, it would be exceedingly difficult to prove fraud and, honestly, any school that would engage in such heavy handed tactics against its students for such mild offenses should be prepared for a massive ****storm of student protests. They deserve nothing less.

Also, how would the school know where your loan dollars end and your personal savings/family contributions begin? The answer is they won't....unless you tell them.

Reactions: 2 users
during the mandatory loan talk "we won't know what you spend your money on, unless you show up with a brand new $$$ purse, iphoneX, etc, talking about how you can't wait for funds to hit because you are broke...." In other words, don't be stupid, and you are fine. :)

School administration jobs really draw out the zealots.

Even so, technically there are things you can't (shouldn't) use your loan money to pay for, but, aside from getting a forensic accountant to pour over your finances and determine how and where and when each penny was used, it would be exceedingly difficult to prove fraud and, honestly, any school that would engage in such heavy handed tactics against its students for such mild offenses should be prepared for a massive ****storm of student protests. They deserve nothing less.

Also, how would the school know where your loan dollars end and your personal savings/family contributions begin? The answer is they won't....unless you tell them.

I can guarantee that our associate dean doesn't even claim any knowledge on how the loans work and instantaneously sends people to the financial aid office for those questions. He legit says he doesn't know cause he specifically doesn't want to get this sort of confusion. I find it interesting as well since Mizzou has the option of switching to in-state so easily. Why play lose with tuition status, but complain about a student paying to board their horse? That's a difference of tens of thousands of dollars. And Mizzou doesn't really need the negative press. It makes me wonder if she actually really is misinformed on 1) how the loans can be used and 2) how probably >90% of her own students are committing fraud right in front of her and are possibly encouraged by the vet school to do so (through student adoption programs and the like).

Members don't see this ad :)
I can guarantee that our associate dean doesn't even claim any knowledge on how the loans work and instantaneously sends people to the financial aid office for those questions. He legit says he doesn't know cause he specifically doesn't want to get this sort of confusion. I find it interesting as well since Mizzou has the option of switching to in-state so easily. Why play lose with tuition status, but complain about a student paying to board their horse? That's a difference of tens of thousands of dollars. And Mizzou doesn't really need the negative press. It makes me wonder if she actually really is misinformed on 1) how the loans can be used and 2) how probably >90% of her own students are committing fraud right in front of her and are possibly encouraged by the vet school to do so (through student adoption programs and the like).
Could it be a high-horse attitude? I'm not about to re-join APVMA and get myself a one way ticket to Migrainesville...but perhaps this person is all "All of these students blow their loans on **** I think is stupid, and it's supposed to be for education" kind of thing. Maybe in her mind it's fraud?

I know people who have gotten new TVs, designer clothing/accessories, a $100 pair of scrubs, etc. with their loans. If the government really wanted to make sure the loans weren't used for 'unnecessary' or 'frivolous' expenses, I feel like they would have a system in place to prevent it. Maybe something similar to food stamps, idk.

I don't feel like I've done anything today, but I'm so tired. I came home at 4:30 from work, showered because that's what kind of day it was although it was filled with baby cows :love: and I could totally go to bed right now and sleep through til tomorrow. At this rate not sure I'm going to make it to Thanksgiving break. :help:

I don't feel like I've done anything today, but I'm so tired. I came home at 4:30 from work, showered because that's what kind of day it was although it was filled with baby cows :love: and I could totally go to bed right now and sleep through til tomorrow. At this rate not sure I'm going to make it to Thanksgiving break. :help:
I'm pretty sure dealing with baby cows all day = shower when you get home!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone done/applied for the week summer training with USDA on Plum Island?

Are they still doing trainings at Plum Island? I know they broke ground at the new site in Kansas over a year ago. Are you referencing the Smith-Kilborne Program specifically?

Maybe something similar to food stamps, idk.

Then, like with EBT, an expansive cash market can spring up where people buy lots of "approved" items on their government plastic and turn around to exchange them for paper money under market value so they can buy grain for their horses.

Are they still doing trainings at Plum Island? I know they broke ground at the new site in Kansas over a year ago. Are you referencing the Smith-Kilborne Program specifically?
that's the one. Its still at Plum Island, as far as everything that I've read

If the government really wanted to make sure the loans weren't used for 'unnecessary' or 'frivolous' expenses, I feel like they would have a system in place to prevent it.

Exactly. The rules wouldn't be nearly as vague as they are.

If someone wants to use their loans to pay for a huge vacation to Vegas complete with gambling, I still don't think it's fraud.

It's stupid af...

Damn it. ;)

(No, I didn't do this but sounds like much more fun than what I did use loan money on).

I'm pretty sure @LetItSnow used his loan money on hookers and blow. Still not fraud. ;)

You forgot the white panel van and copious amounts of candy.
I always thought LIS sort of just came into existence alongside the white panel van. And those things don't need maintenance, the more broken down they are the more ambiance they have

A random, funny thought as I study for the med terms quiz. This week we are covering all of the varied names of sexual status and birthing for all of the different species. The following question is regarding the differences between cats and dogs.

Queen is to queening as bitch is to ........ ?

Whelping of course!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A random, funny thought as I study for the med terms quiz. This week we are covering all of the varied names of sexual status and birthing for all of the different species. The following question is regarding the differences between cats and dogs.

Queen is to queening as bitch is to ........ ?

Whelping of course!

Conversation in the TT household:

Me: Queen is to queening as bitch is to... ?
Husb: *frowns* Bitching?
Me: No, whelping.
Husb: Oh... huh.
Me: Queens queen and bitches whelp. And cows calve. And horses... foal? Yeah, that sounds right.
Husb: Hm.
Me: But queens don't kitten. And bitches don't puppy.

*pause*

Me: I wonder what llamas do? They don't 'cria'...
Husb: They open a portal to the upside down...
Me: Yes! Llamas are evil. Like the demogorgon.

(End scene)

Reactions: 12 users
Last I heard they won't even be done with construction on NBAF (the new Plum Island here) until 2020, and then it will take another couple years to get things up and running there. It looks like they're coming along with construction, but definitely not ready to be actually doing anything in there.

I need to find a bridesmaid dress in less than a week. It must be burgundy, floor length, and preferably with lace. What are the most reliable/quickest online stores? I'm wary of Amazon because so few of the dresses I've found have shipping times of less than 2 days, and a lot seem to be from overseas. I have one possibility (that's probably more red than burgundy . . . But the bride could have given me more time . . . ;)). Help!

I need to find a bridesmaid dress in less than a week. It must be burgundy, floor length, and preferably with lace. What are the most reliable/quickest online stores? I'm wary of Amazon because so few of the dresses I've found have shipping times of less than 2 days, and a lot seem to be from overseas. I have one possibility (that's probably more red than burgundy . . . But the bride could have given me more time . . . ;)). Help!
I've heard good things about Azazie, Lulu's, or Weddington Way, but I have no idea what their shipping times are like. That's awfully short notice, is it a spur of the moment wedding or something?

I've heard good things about Azazie, Lulu's, or Weddington Way, but I have no idea what their shipping times are like. That's awfully short notice, is it a spur of the moment wedding or something?
I don't know what her reasons were, since the other bridesmaids have known since October. I'm wondering if the groom wanted to add someone and she needed to have even numbers? There's one girl who is so close to getting herself fired, but she's still in the wedding for the moment. We hadn't seen each other much this fall but I was at her bachelorette party last week. She might have decided after that? Who knows. I'm hoping she'll be forgiving with whatever I end up with since we are cutting it so short.

I don't know what her reasons were, since the other bridesmaids have known since October. I'm wondering if the groom wanted to add someone and she needed to have even numbers? There's one girl who is so close to getting herself fired, but she's still in the wedding for the moment. We hadn't seen each other much this fall but I was at her bachelorette party last week. She might have decided after that? Who knows. I'm hoping she'll be forgiving with whatever I end up with since we are cutting it so short.
Ugh, that's so rude of her. Even asking the others in October is really last minute, if I'm understanding correctly and the wedding is in less than a week. You're a better friend than me for agreeing to this!

Ugh, that's so rude of her. Even asking the others in October is really last minute, if I'm understanding correctly and the wedding is in less than a week. You're a better friend than me for agreeing to this!
They were originally getting married next May and moved it up because family needed them to. So not *all* the last minute things are her fault . . . But this definitely could have been avoided :p

Quick search on Macy's website brought these three up. I'm sure there's more options on there but here are a couple. The color is called "Currant" but it looks burgundy to me. If it's not the specific color you're looking for, there might be a different dress on their website that is a better color.

Dress 1
Dress 2
Dress 3

Conversation in the TT household:

Me: Queen is to queening as bitch is to... ?
Husb: *frowns* Bitching?
Me: No, whelping.
Husb: Oh... huh.
Me: Queens queen and bitches whelp. And cows calve. And horses... foal? Yeah, that sounds right.
Husb: Hm.
Me: But queens don't kitten. And bitches don't puppy.

*pause*

Me: I wonder what llamas do? They don't 'cria'...
Husb: They open a portal to the upside down...
Me: Yes! Llamas are evil. Like the demogorgon.

(End scene)
Ironically I just had a camelid lecture, so I asked the prof (because I was curious). She said there is no special word for camelid parturition, though some people joke that alpacas criate (create). Haha.

Reactions: 4 users
Ironically I just had a camelid lecture, so I asked the prof (because I was curious). She said there is no special word for camelid parturition, though some people joke that alpacas criate (create). Haha.

Wait. Criate isn't actually the official term? I totally thought it was...

Wait. Criate isn't actually the official term? I totally thought it was...
Lol! She says it’s unofficially the term but to be careful who you use it around, like if it someone who knows you know it isn’t a real term, nbd, but careful around uptight clients who will roll their eyes at you not knowing. It’s super cute though, I think it should become the real word!

Lol! She says it’s unofficially the term but to be careful who you use it around, like if it someone who knows you know it isn’t a real term, nbd, but careful around uptight clients who will roll their eyes at you not knowing. It’s super cute though, I think it should become the real word!

Well, I have no plans to ever practice medicine on an alpaca again, so I'm sure I will be okay. Plus, one of my best friends from vet school ideally would like to be an alpaca only vet, esp repro, so I will defer all questions to her.

Well, I have no plans to ever practice medicine on an alpaca again, so I'm sure I will be okay. Plus, one of my best friends from vet school ideally would like to be an alpaca only vet, esp repro, so I will defer all questions to her.
Yeah, I have no long term goals of being an alpaca vet, but I just want to snuggle a cria!

We have things labeled "cria" come in every so often. I felt like an idiot because I just assumed it was it's own species/breed, and then I finally mentioned it to someone and they explained . . .

We have things labeled "cria" come in every so often. I felt like an idiot because I just assumed it was it's own species/breed, and then I finally mentioned it to someone and they explained . . .
Oh PBC...

I parked beside another car that's the same make, model, and color as mine in the mall parking lot and it made me so happy. :D We were twins! The other car was still there when I left, and I was a teensy bit disappointed that its driver will never know the special connection we shared.

Last edited:
I parked beside another car that's the same make, model, and color as mine in the mall parking lot and it made me so happy. :D We were twins! The other car was still there when I left, and I was a teensy bit disappointed that it's driver will never know the special connection we shared.
This happened to me once with a previous car. I came out of a convenience store, got in the car and was wondering why all my stuff was missing. Then I looked up and saw my car parked next to the car I was in. :rofl:

This happened to me once with a previous car. I came out of a convenience store, got in the car and was wondering why all my stuff was missing. Then I looked up and saw my car parked next to the car I was in. :rofl:
The real question is why someone else left their car unlocked..... :thinking: