Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're such neat animals! I used to play with them as a kid lol. Let'em beeee.
Like I said, I'm not looking to kill them. I just don't need them to keep getting in my apartment/chilling on my door.

Also edit: The more that keep getting in or jumping off my door when I open it to get inside = more that fall victim to my cats. It's more for their benefit, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

They just creep me out beyond all reason. I get the chills (I also don't do grasshoppers or crickets). Plus the individual that hangs out on my door most often turns his head to look at me whenever I walk up so it's even more unsettling :laugh:

Meanie. It's just being neighborly.

It's probably the same one so you could scoop it up into a box and find it a new home in a garden, tree, etc. They are definitely harmless and great at gobbling up other insects, like stink bugs.

Reactions: 1 users
Random stuff should definitely be on the first page of threads! My revival touch has arrived:

I've had the same internet username for almost everything (non-professional of coarse) since the days when I religiously played neopets in like the 6th grade...RIP weird lil creatures +pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my main randomly frozen "for my protection" like three months ago and haven't gotten a ****ing response to my ticket about it yet. Miss my little virtual jerks.

/salty.

I should check into mine. I keep going through cycles with it where I play a lot and then don't. Sorry yours got randomly frozen. I've lost quite a few myself although some of it was fair.

Last night, at around midnight, one of our MD-fellows rushed her dog to the 24/7 emergency veterinary hospital for treatment.

Unfortunately, the outcome was negative and the fellow authorized euthanasia.

The fellow is devastated, distraught and grief-stricken. Told me her dog was her best friend and was always happily waiting for her when she returned home. The dog was the "first pet" the fellow had ever owned in her life.

Told the fellow to take the rest of the week off and reach out to any of us if she needs assistance. Don't worry ... we care. Take care of yourself right now. Also referred her to an experienced therapist who provides acute grief counseling. The therapist is very sensitive to pet bereavement issues.

Wish I could offer more ... losing a beloved pet, one's best friend ... is truly awful.

Whenever I have lost a pet, I have been a wreck - so I know how it feels. It hurts for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
it hurts for a very long time. Our Sam has been gone for 7 years, but there are times I still cry over something that reminds me of him.

Reactions: 3 users
Look how cute and defiant my little rabbit is about the mess she and her sister made while I was at school.

Little rabbity a-holes.

IMG_1071.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
Shaved yesterday, and now my computer won't unlock with facial recognition :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm but why? That’s a terrible idea
I did it for a full year. Not sure if I want to regrow it just yet. (and my wife hated it) I probably will in the future. I felt a bit naked without it this morning.

And the tan line on my face is hilarious

Reactions: 2 users
Can you reset the unlock settings in your computer ( I am guessing you can unlock with a password, not just your face ) go into settings and re-scan the authorize user, in order to open it with your new clean face !

Can you reset the unlock settings in your computer ( I am guessing you can unlock with a password, not just your face ) go into settings and re-scan the authorize user, in order to open it with your new clean face !
Who are you even replying to

Because wildzoo doesn't have a beard that caused her to be unrecognized by her computer. Nor do I.

Reactions: 1 user
Shaved yesterday, and now my computer won't unlock with facial recognition :(

Who are you even replying to

Because wildzoo doesn't have a beard that caused her to be unrecognized by her computer. Nor do I.
Ski, look above at Teeps post. WZ replied about the beard being gone, swine replied to WZ’s reply.

I just showed my brother a picture and said "look at this foyer!" and he replied "you mean foyer."

You don't pronounce the r, apparently. :rolleyes: How did I never know that?

I just showed my brother a picture and said "look at this foyer!" and he replied "you mean foyer."

I pronounce the r. I don’t plan on stopping. I actually don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t pronounce the r.

You're both technically right, I think the more common pronunciation in the states involves a hard r, but in other English speaking countries they tend to keep it silent. If you look it up in a dictionary it usually lists both pronunciations as correct.

Vacation destination suggestions?

Fiance wants relaxing with some sight seeing, I'm a bit more willing to go-go-go all day. We both want warmth and sunshine if possible.

Fiance wants relaxing with some sight seeing, I'm a bit more willing to go-go-go all day. We both want warmth and sunshine if possible.
Costa Rica or Belize. Both affordable and amazing. They speak English in Belize, and really it’s not too hard to get around in Costa Rica speaking only English.

Patagonia or rio ! is going to be summer there in a few weeks !

California... hahah. But in all seriousness, CA has everything... you can do go-go-go or you can relax and sight see.

Come to AZ, definitely warm in the Phoenix region, not so much up north where there is better sight seeing. ;)

Or you can leave the country.

Costa Rica or Belize. Both affordable and amazing. They speak English in Belize, and really it’s not too hard to get around in Costa Rica speaking only English.
Will we be short-changing ourselves if we do either of those for 3-4 days? I considered a few non-US locations but I figured the farther you fly, the longer you should stay.

Will we be short-changing ourselves if we do either of those for 3-4 days? I considered a few non-US locations but I figured the farther you fly, the longer you should stay.
I think Costa Rica will get you the biggest bang for your buck. Personally I’d spend the entire time in Arenal if I were you, but I know others would recommend Manuel Antonio. I’ve been to both areas and think Arenal has more to do. The place we stayed was like a mini village, and the view of the volcano was spectacular. I can try to look up the name if you’d like.

This pic was taken right outside our front door, and the pic does it no justice. There were tree frogs and plants in our shower and you could hear howler monkeys every morning.

C6C290CC-0120-491D-B2B3-D2074C75C15E.jpeg

Edit: I’d bet money that after spending 3-4 day there, you’ll definitely want to go back.

I think Costa Rica will get you the biggest bang for your buck. Personally I’d spend the entire time in Arenal if I were you, but I know others would recommend Manuel Antonio. I’ve been to both areas and think Arenal has more to do. The place we stayed was like a mini village, and the view of the volcano was spectacular. I can try to look up the name if you’d like.

This pic was taken right outside our front door, and the pic does it no justice. There were tree frogs and plants in our shower and you could hear howler monkeys every morning.

View attachment 225348

Edit: I’d bet money that after spending 3-4 day there, you’ll definitely want to go back.
Wow that's incredible!

I wonder if it would be better to wait for our honeymoon for that? Decisions, decisions.

I have been to Arenal and Manuel Antonio in CR also...both were very nice. I did a study abroad with home stays in a rural area called Atenas so it was a bit more unique than the typical resort experience and was a little bit difficult with the language barrier in the more rural areas, but it's very doable in most places a tourist would go. I think it was only a 3 or 4 hour flight or something from Texas, so I think you could easily do a 3-4 day trip and get enough out of it.

I know my mom means well, but when she buys me **** I neither want nor need it's kind of annoying. She was really excited about this thing she found at her hospital's gift shop (already a red flag) so she brought it today when she and my dad came to visit me.

It's a little box that has a picture of dogs looking in the sky at Santa's sleigh. It has little holes with little lights in it that flicker and make it look like it's snowing. This thing has zero utility and doesn't even begin to approximate something I would ever want in my home. I thought maybe it was a gag gift, but I don't think that was the intention. o_O

I know my mom means well, but when she buys me **** I neither want nor need it's kind of annoying. She was really excited about this thing she found at her hospital's gift shop (already a red flag) so she brought it today when she and my dad came to visit me.

It's a little box that has a picture of dogs looking in the sky at Santa's sleigh. It has little holes with little lights in it that flicker and make it look like it's snowing. This thing has zero utility and doesn't even begin to approximate something I would ever want in my home. I thought maybe it was a gag gift, but I don't think that was the intention. o_O
That sounds very like my mom, particularly because Christmas item. Also sounds like the mom I know I'm going to end up being someday. Oops.

Reactions: 3 users
That sounds very like my mom, particularly because Christmas item. Also sounds like the mom I know I'm going to end up being someday. Oops.
Me
(Also definitely sounds like my mom too, who also buys anything and everything that has a horse on it for me, which I'm sure you know that struggle too)

Random question I have from a post I'm involved in on the APVMA Facebook:
Is it really fraud for us to use our loans to care for our pets? I was always under the impression that we could under the "miscellaneous personal expenses" bit. My roommate also clarified this with financial aid and said that we could.

Random question I have from a post I'm involved in on the APVMA Facebook:
Is it really fraud for us to use our loans to care for our pets? I was always under the impression that we could under the "miscellaneous personal expenses" bit. My roommate also clarified this with financial aid and said that we could.
I have never heard that before. I definitely used loan money to care for my pets and my son.

I have never heard that before. I definitely used loan money to care for my pets and my son.

Yeah, right? I also thought that since our animals are our property (like our vehicles), we could use our loan money to maintain them (like how I got new tires for my truck).

Yeah, right? I also thought that since our animals are our property (like our vehicles), we could use our loan money to maintain them (like how I got new tires for my truck).
Who is that person anyway and where did they come from? It's like saying you aren't allowed to live. Also as a side note then *all* vet students and many other students are committing fraud.

Who is that person anyway and where did they come from? It's like saying you aren't allowed to live. Also as a side note then *all* vet students and many other students are committing fraud.

I have no problem being corrected. But that's if they're giving correct info and not calling my integrity into question (in response to that comment of fraud is unbecoming in future veterinarians).