Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Revised list of worst animals on earth (with Cdo's suggestion taken into account)
1. Mel
2. Pandas
3. Pandas
4. Dolphins
5. Otters.
I'm glad you didn't try to identify as an axolotl in this case. They don't deserve this kind of abuse.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad you didn't try to identify as an axolotl in this case. They don't deserve this kind of abuse.
Its like you don't even know me. Axolotl is the gender I identify with, my species is human.

Honestly I don't understand how horrible creatures like dolphins could possibly be lower on your list :p
I have really low self-esteem.

Revised list of worst animals on earth (with Cdo's suggestion taken into account)
1. Mel
2. Pandas
3. Pandas
4. Dolphins
5. Otters.

Honestly I don't understand how horrible creatures like dolphins could possibly be lower on your list :p
Why didn't orcas make this list? The sociopaths of the sea right there

Went into Ikea yesterday to buy a china cabinet and some shelf dividers for the kitchen cabinets because the cabinets in the new apartment have a ton of dead space. Spent $210. Forgot the shelf dividers. Went back in to get them, spent another $180.

Whoops.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
They. Reproduce. Just. Fine. Under. Natural. Conditions.
Mel.

Repeat after me since this is like the fifth time we've argued about pandas.

Pandas. reproduce. fine. in. natural. conditions.

Just not necessarily in the US or Canada. ;)

And since the last time you were drunk off your face...

Charismatic megafauna - Wikipedia

Reactions: 1 user
They. Reproduce. Just. Fine. Under. Natural. Conditions.
Mel.

Repeat after me since this is like the fifth time we've argued about pandas.

Pandas. reproduce. fine. in. natural. conditions.

Just not necessarily in the US or Canada. ;)

And since the last time you were drunk off your face...

Charismatic megafauna - Wikipedia
I know, at this point my hatred of pandas is more to just troll than anything haha

Pros of having the same first name + somewhat similar last name of a resident in the hospital: I've gotten multiple emails from other residents sharing study materials for upcoming boards :laugh:

I let them all know they emailed the wrong (insertfirstnamehere) of course, but lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I have some questions about interviews for vet school, and what they’re like.

I’m already a year out of undergrad, applying this cycle. I have been working full time at a small animal clinic for this whole year (it’ll be exactly a year tomorrow) and I work at a farm with sheep and goats, but mostly with the babies that were just born this spring! I really want to get emergency experience, and my boyfriend’s aunt runs a small zoo/sanctuary about an hour from where I live and she would love for me to help out there. I definitely don’t have plans to leave my current job just yet in order to pursue those other experiences; I want to finish my applications and continue to get the doctors’ opinions and help throughout the application process, because they know me very well at this point.

My main question is - during interviews, do they ask you at all about your plans for the next year before matriculation? I know a lot of applicants are still undergrads, so obviously they have to finish school. But I will continue working up until I start vet school, so I would love to express that to them during the interview. Especially since I won’t have emergency or zoo experience to put on my application, I want them to know I will most likely get that experience within the year.

Do the interviewers ask different questions based on the type of applicant you are, or based around your application? Or do they mostly ask everyone the same general questions? I’m sure each school is different, and I think some schools do the group interviews. I just feel like there are some things that I’m not able to express on the application or through the essays that I hope I’m able to express in interviews. Also, my freshman year of undergrad I had a really hard time adjusting to being on my own and I struggled a lot, so my gpa was pretty low, but I was able to bring it up a significant amount throughout the rest of my college career. I’m not sure if they’ll get that just by looking at my transcripts, or if I’ll be able to explain those lower grades in my interview.

If anyone is able to help, thank you so much in advance!!

Hey everyone, I have some questions about interviews for vet school, and what they’re like.

I’m already a year out of undergrad, applying this cycle. I have been working full time at a small animal clinic for this whole year (it’ll be exactly a year tomorrow) and I work at a farm with sheep and goats, but mostly with the babies that were just born this spring! I really want to get emergency experience, and my boyfriend’s aunt runs a small zoo/sanctuary about an hour from where I live and she would love for me to help out there. I definitely don’t have plans to leave my current job just yet in order to pursue those other experiences; I want to finish my applications and continue to get the doctors’ opinions and help throughout the application process, because they know me very well at this point.

My main question is - during interviews, do they ask you at all about your plans for the next year before matriculation? I know a lot of applicants are still undergrads, so obviously they have to finish school. But I will continue working up until I start vet school, so I would love to express that to them during the interview. Especially since I won’t have emergency or zoo experience to put on my application, I want them to know I will most likely get that experience within the year.

Do the interviewers ask different questions based on the type of applicant you are, or based around your application? Or do they mostly ask everyone the same general questions? I’m sure each school is different, and I think some schools do the group interviews. I just feel like there are some things that I’m not able to express on the application or through the essays that I hope I’m able to express in interviews. Also, my freshman year of undergrad I had a really hard time adjusting to being on my own and I struggled a lot, so my gpa was pretty low, but I was able to bring it up a significant amount throughout the rest of my college career. I’m not sure if they’ll get that just by looking at my transcripts, or if I’ll be able to explain those lower grades in my interview.

If anyone is able to help, thank you so much in advance!!
The interview depends a lot on the school. Some have traditional interviews, some do MMI, some are open file, some are closed. The point of the interview though, is for them to get an idea of who you are and how you would make a good fit for their school beyond your application. I think in at least a traditional interview you would have a chance to talk about your plans, I never did an MMI so I'm not sure about that. As for the grades, an upward trend should be obvious from your transcripts. I'm not sure that early poor grades during the adjustment period really warrants an explanation, unless they ask about it. I would focus on the good stuff.

@CoffeeQuestionMark :coffee::love:

happy-coffee.jpg

background-of-happy-coffee-mugs_23-2147602924.jpg

112116_BraininLove.png

Dialogue with a rising MS4: If your cat showed up with a simple laceration, would you suture it?
Me: No.
MS4: Why not?
Me: I would take her to a veterinarian.
MS4: But it should be easy to suture????
Me: I am NOT a veterinarian. Next question.

[Translation: I'd want my cat to receive the very "best" of medical care, from a veterinarian, who knows how to "best care" for my cat.]

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Dialogue with a rising MS4: If your cat showed up with a simple laceration, would you suture it?
Me: No.
MS4: Why not?
Me: I would take her to a veterinarian.
MS4: But it should be easy to suture????
Me: I am NOT a veterinarian. Next question.

[Translation: I'd want my cat to receive the very "best" of medical care, from a veterinarian, who knows how to "best care" for my cat.]

Thank you. :)

I was in target today and I passed the hair dye aisle. I’m getting seriously twitchy to re-dye my hair red again- I just need to wait until the wedding is over/ my summer job program is over in 2 weeks.

Does anyone here wear silicone bands in place of their engagement/wedding rings while working? I'm looking into it

Does anyone here wear silicone bands in place of their engagement/wedding rings while working? I'm looking into it
So and I got them! He loves his because his real band is metal and he has to go through metal detectors everyday for work so he just wears that instead. I like them for the fact I don't have to worry about it getting caught and displacing a stone, if I happen to lose it no big deal, etc. Mine has little etching in it-I'd recommend one that doesn't have etchings to make it easier to clean.

I feel like maybe @Teepster87 mentioned something about silicone bands but I cannot for the life of me find the post (so maybe it wasn’t on sdn?)
I'm also cheap and lose rings more frequently than I'd like.

Lost 2 $100ish tungsten rings (thanks kids). Don't feel very bad about an $8 silicone one

So and I got them! He loves his because his real band is metal and he has to go through metal detectors everyday for work so he just wears that instead. I like them for the fact I don't have to worry about it getting caught and displacing a stone, if I happen to lose it no big deal, etc. Mine has little etching in it-I'd recommend one that doesn't have etchings to make it easier to clean.
Do they stain? I'm looking into a few lighter colors (specifically enso rings) and I'd rather wear nothing that a dingy gross band.

Do they stain? I'm looking into a few lighter colors (specifically enso rings) and I'd rather wear nothing that a dingy gross band.
Mines black and hasn't picked up any stains yet

It did take a while to get loosened up. I think they tell you to order a bit bigger than your normal ring size and I did. But it was still tight for a while.

I can't say for sure. Like the worst I've gotten into is manure but that hasn't been a problem. We both have dark ones though too. We went with qualo so quality might be a bit different. I agree with teep though they're a bit tight to start

I just want to say that I had no idea silicone rings were a thing and now I really want one if I ever get married because I am allergic to jewelry and can't handle nice things. My original plan had been to just wear my actual wedding ring on a necklace or something because then I might actually have a chance of not losing it every single day.

I honestly might prefer the silicone ones over traditional bands. They're cheaper and last a long time (or so I've heard). Will have to discuss at some point with my SO.

Hubs and I both have them. I wear it when doing active things (will prob wear more the further into vet school I get). Hubz wears his all the time. Only con is that he fidgets with his constantly (spinning it around, etc) and it started to break after about 6 months. Not a huge deal since they are cheap, but if you also a fidgeter keep in mind you might need frequent replacements.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Haha. My parents already judge me for the amount of protein I have. I have Dutch chocolate, cookies and cream, vanilla and churro. All of these are also from different companies. And then I have my casein and workout carbs as well as a pre-workout mix. Thank god I'll have more space in my new kitchen. I need a shelf for just my protein...

Since when do they make CHURRO flavored protein?!
why would you tell me this is a thing.

I haven't used mine in a while but I already have a stash of protein powders, and you tell me there's CHURRO??

:eek:
Hooooooooomaaaahhhgoooodddddd
They make Cold Stone Creamery flavor protein powder and I thought you guys needed to know.

Posting this here because of the “general questions” title. I have been for the past 1.5 years considering veterinary school. I work at this animal rehabilitation center where I get to both be a therapy assistant while also shadowing vets during appointments as a vet assistant. I LOVE IT! I’ve been able to talk to at least 10 different vets on a personal level (both rehab /general practice) about vet school. 8/10 say “DON’T DO IT!” While the others aren’t necessarily 100% cheering but they are definitely more supportive. Each one of them has given me a very in depth opinion/review about their career/journey and it’s been awesome to hear all of their advice.

As time continues to pass, one thing I can’t relate to is that I have yet to talk to a first generation college student (who is now a vet). I come from a relatively low income area. I managed to graduate high school and also receive a B.S. with a below 3.0 GPA. College for me was a lot of personal growth/academic growth that I had to do. Because of where I grew up, I definitely felt academically behind compared to my peers. All of the vets that I have come across don’t come from a similar background as me and even they say they feel like they are financially struggling and give me that whole “you’re not going to make money working as a vet speech.” I was wondering if anyone has talked to vets that come from a similar background and what their opinions/advice were?

I’m more hesitant to pursue this career because of the income/debt ratio. It’s CRAZY that there’s also a 1/4 suicide rate for vets in the U.S. As a first generation college student, I would eventually LOVE to help my parents out (financially). I am definitely looking for some positive feedback for those that come from a different background. I can’t imagine myself not working with animals and putting myself in the position of a rehabilitation vet makes me so happy and excited but I also picture my future and what that means for being able to provide for my low income family. I’m just reaching out to a forum In hope for more advice!

Posting this here because of the “general questions” title. I have been for the past 1.5 years considering veterinary school. I work at this animal rehabilitation center where I get to both be a therapy assistant while also shadowing vets during appointments as a vet assistant. I LOVE IT! I’ve been able to talk to at least 10 different vets on a personal level (both rehab /general practice) about vet school. 8/10 say “DON’T DO IT!” While the others aren’t necessarily 100% cheering but they are definitely more supportive. Each one of them has given me a very in depth opinion/review about their career/journey and it’s been awesome to hear all of their advice.

As time continues to pass, one thing I can’t relate to is that I have yet to talk to a first generation college student (who is now a vet). I come from a relatively low income area. I managed to graduate high school and also receive a B.S. with a below 3.0 GPA. College for me was a lot of personal growth/academic growth that I had to do. Because of where I grew up, I definitely felt academically behind compared to my peers. All of the vets that I have come across don’t come from a similar background as me and even they say they feel like they are financially struggling and give me that whole “you’re not going to make money working as a vet speech.” I was wondering if anyone has talked to vets that come from a similar background and what their opinions/advice were?

I’m more hesitant to pursue this career because of the income/debt ratio. It’s CRAZY that there’s also a 1/4 suicide rate for vets in the U.S. As a first generation college student, I would eventually LOVE to help my parents out (financially). I am definitely looking for some positive feedback for those that come from a different background. I can’t imagine myself not working with animals and putting myself in the position of a rehabilitation vet makes me so happy and excited but I also picture my future and what that means for being able to provide for my low income family. I’m just reaching out to a forum In hope for more advice!

If you decide not to pursue vet school (because of the debt or other reasons) what would you do? Can you be happy in another career? Have you considered other careers?

I come from a middle class family, I'm not a first generation college student, and my parents are doing okay financially. I decided to stop trying for vet school (after applying twice and not getting past the wait list). The debt was a big factor, but also realizing I might not get into the residency I wanted, that I wouldn't be happy with GP work as a backup plan . . . There were more reasons to stop trying than there were to continue. You'll have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons, and that's not something anyone else can decide for you.

Hooooooooomaaaahhhgoooodddddd
They make Cold Stone Creamery flavor protein powder and I thought you guys needed to know.

Wayyy late to the game because I've been on vacation and wasn't paying attention. I saw that but the carbs in it are insane (at least for what I use protein powder for). I may consider getting a container for baking (esp. since it's not whey isolate) or something though.

Last edited:
I'll report back on the chocolate cake one after this weekend!
Chocolate cake is good! Definitely fake sugar-y taste but was a pretty yummy shake with my cashew milk. It's 200 cal a (big) scoop for only 22g protein (vs 120cal and 24g for my normal stuff) so I don't think I'd buy it again but I'm happy to use the container I have.

I'm not strict on macros or anything just tend to not get as much protein as I should.