Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We just had anything you can fit on an 3x5 card, front and back, typed ok. If you needed to fill it, then it didn't matter cuz you had no idea what to do with what you wrote down lol

I can’t remeber if it was physics or gen chem, but one of those classes they gave us a formula sheet but everything was scrambled so it was useless because you wouldn’t have been able to find what you where looking for anyway if you didn’t already know them :rolleyes:
Lol my physics class gave me a formula sheet and it wasn’t scrambled or anything. We had extra formulas that we had learned for other things and we had to know which to use, but yeah, wasn’t super terrible :laugh:

My orgo classes tho we got a 3x5 on just the final I think

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish we had gotten some kind of cheat sheet for orgo. Maybe then I wouldn't have PTSD.
No you still would
No cheat sheets. Use the 1st IR to draw and name the structure then use the 2ND one to determine the product. Then name the reactant that catalyzes the reaction.

Aced it. Only one in class to get it 100% right. Yes I'm one of those weird people.

Reactions: 2 users
No cheat sheets. Use the 1st IR to draw and name the structure then use the 2ND one to determine the product. Then name the reactant that catalyzes the reaction.

Aced it. Only one in class to get it 100% right. Yes I'm one of those weird people.
IR is lovely. Orgo is not so lovely. Loved the lab, hated the class. Was a chem major.

Reactions: 1 user

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 users
We just had anything you can fit on an 3x5 card, front and back, typed ok. If you needed to fill it, then it didn't matter cuz you had no idea what to do with what you wrote down lol

Yes!!! Same here! One sided though. But I never know what to do with the information I write on it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn’t use it for physics but for orgo I def used orgo for dummies (and the workbook that was available for orgo 1). Could check those books out

Glad you mentioned this, was about to go get the physics version from Barnes & Noble this afternoon but wasn't sure if it would help. Think I need to go pick one up tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a physics prof who let us bring one sheet of 8x11 paper in to the exam, typed was fine. So I just made a gorgeous formula sheet and prayed to the gods of community college physics that I could do well. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users

I'm also one of those people who loved organic. Didn't make an A but still really loved the class. So yeah I think you're kinda weird for making a 100, but not weird for loving it lol kidding

Also I’m getting major PTSD listening to y’all talk about ochem. Most of my vet school class got to take the easier one but not me.

I had 8 hours of organic chemistry and I wanted to die every step of the way

I'm also one of those people who loved organic. Didn't make an A but still really loved the class. So yeah I think you're kinda weird for making a 100, but not weird for loving it lol kidding

Once I got a tutor for ochem I enjoyed it, but I got a tutor over spring break when I had a D in the class and I spent roughly $500 for the next 2 months with 2 different tutors for many many hours a week and I finally enjoyed the sadistic mess that my professor but us through.

Since then, I’ve had one class that compared work wise and that class was in vet school and gives me even more PTSD to talk about:scared::scared::scared:

Once I got a tutor for ochem I enjoyed it, but I got a tutor over spring break when I had a D in the class and I spent roughly $500 for the next 2 months with 2 different tutors for many many hours a week and I finally enjoyed the sadistic mess that my professor but us through.

Since then, I’ve had one class that compared work wise and that class was in vet school and gives me even more PTSD to talk about:scared::scared::scared:

That's where I'm at with this dang summer physics course right now. Trying to turn a 60 into a B fo free. Lol

......dare I ask........which class in vet school was as bad as ochem?

I loved ochem. Was considered a crazy bio major because I arranged my last semester schedule around advanced ochem. Also tutored ochem and graded the lab notebooks which was helpful to do while taking advanced

......dare I ask........which class in vet school was as bad as ochem?
Umm if you go through the 2021 thread you’ll hear me talk about it... a lot...

It was our phys 3- GI/ metabolism/ endocrine. 5 hour class... umm... yeah. :cryi:

Let’s just say that it was a special class that future years likely won’t have to take with the same professor anymore. It’s the official rite of passage at my school.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm happy for you and all, but jeez, some of us have bad memories over here :p

Married an engineer.

Live in tutor ftw!

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Funny thing is that I'm married to an engineer too! Even he is confused by my notes. But I will say it's nice to have someone break down some of the concepts in layman's terms

What did y'all use to survive Physics? This class makes me feel like a total kumquat. Trying to figure out what supplemental workbooks/videos/ etc. will be the most helpful.

Things I recall from Physics in no particular order:
1. Awful professor, plopped the book up on the overhead projector and told us to "just read" to figure things out
2. No one passed with less than a B regardless of their grade in course or how well they weren't doing, unless you had a flat out "F" then you passed with a C. Anyone above an "F' got a "B" and those with an "A" kept that "A".
3. If you told the professor at the end of the final that you had a "rough semester" he would give you an A for the course (not kidding), I, unfortunately did not learn of this until it was too late.
4. There was a completed version of every physics lab and the expected answers that floated around for 8+ years among the students. The labs NEVER CHANGED. Ever. Actually doing the labs became a mission of "going through the motions".
5. If you are going to have a sudden allergic reaction to your nightly face cream and your face turns into a giant red, itchy blotch when you wake up one morning so you take 50mg of benadryl, having physics as your 8AM class that you pass out in a benadryl-induced coma in, is highly advised.
6. If physics doesn't make sense... just cry and eat your feelings.

Yup, that is how I survived physics.

My first semester physics teacher quit like 5 weeks into a 16 week semester and moved to the Philippines to retire

But but but...
But nothing! Orgo was fun even though I didn't do that hot, but gen chem nearly broke my brain into tiny pieces! And let's not talk about my physics experience....

I start my first stretch of 5 x 10 hour shifts in a row today. I mean, I'm game to give it a shot and the boss says it can be adjusted if it sucks too much, but do I really have to dive into that on the long weekend? I'm a bit scared.... (working in ER)

They couldn't get enough physics grad students to run our labs (or maybe there just weren't many of them?) so they pulled random science people to TA us. It was awful. Our guy was an engineer and he had 0 interest in our labs, often couldn't answer questions (such as "how is this supposed to be set up?"), and he still graded like a hard ass. Lecture was a similar mess.

I took my first semester of physics during the summer and had the cutest lecturer who was so adorably in love with teaching. It was the best.

O Chem was also great (though I had to take each semester twice and never made above a C) because the proff was cute. Basically, put cute people in charge of lectures and that's all I need in life.

They couldn't get enough physics grad students to run our labs (or maybe there just weren't many of them?) so they pulled random science people to TA us. It was awful. Our guy was an engineer and he had 0 interest in our labs, often couldn't answer questions (such as "how is this supposed to be set up?"), and he still graded like a hard ass. Lecture was a similar mess.

I took my first semester of physics during the summer and had the cutest lecturer who was so adorably in love with teaching. It was the best.

O Chem was also great (though I had to take each semester twice and never made above a C) because the proff was cute. Basically, put cute people in charge of lectures and that's all I need in life.

Haha! This made me laugh. My Ochem 1 professor was super hunky too. So was my gen chem 2 professor. Maybe intelligence is just darn attractive?

Haha! This made me laugh. My Ochem 1 professor was super hunky too. So was my gen chem 2 professor. Maybe intelligence is just darn attractive?

I just googled him and apparently he did a ted talk recently! So, if you're curious . . .

Last edited:
I just googled him and apparently he did a ted talk recently! So, if you're curious . . .

I'm going to delete this later because reasons. :bag:

Gasp!! I'm totally swooning. Plus, that was a really great Ted Talk. Made me miss orgo. It's awesome that you got to learn from someone so passionate!

Last edited:
My ochem teacher was a short but BUFF large T-shirt sized man who wore a size small athletic shirt on the day-to-day...

Just submitted my application. Once my LORs are submitted we'll be in business, but my part is done!

Was it wise to submit a statement of purpose that I finished at 1:50 am? All I know is that I'm not going to read it tomorrow in case regret sets in. :cool:

Reactions: 11 users
Just submitted my application. Once my LORs are submitted we'll be in business, but my part is done!

Was it wise to submit a statement of purpose that I finished at 1:50 am? All I know is that I'm not going to read it tomorrow in case regret sets in. :cool:

Yay!!!! Never realized how much work the process of actually applying was until I experienced it first-hand. I'm nowhere near done yet even though this next year is going to be stressful, at least now you've done your part and you can sit back and watch the flames from afar. Well at least until interviews, that is. Lol! Treat yo self!!