Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mmmkay so I may be hyperventilating. Had given up and planned to do a second gap year and apply for a third time.

Then yesterday a few people on here posted that UW's OOS waitlist is cruising along. I was #38 in the the last update email they sent out. Yesterday the people who were #15, #16, and #20 were offered spots and they all declined.

So in case fate has other plans for me, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me more about UW's curriculum, environment, etc. I might pass out if I get offered a spot and plan to move to a place I know nothing about.

Also I looked at the price and it's terrifying. But if I get in, I'm going.
@variegata went there iirc?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mmmkay so I may be hyperventilating. Had given up and planned to do a second gap year and apply for a third time.

Then yesterday a few people on here posted that UW's OOS waitlist is cruising along. I was #38 in the the last update email they sent out. Yesterday the people who were #15, #16, and #20 were offered spots and they all declined.
CROSSING MY FINGERS AND TOES FOR YOU JABOO!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users

So in case fate has other plans for me, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me more about UW's curriculum, environment, etc. I might pass out if I get offered a spot and plan to move to a place I know nothing about.

Also I looked at the price and it's terrifying. But if I get in, I'm going.
Can you call for your current number?? Now I'm stressed for you

Members don't see this ad :)
I did, it's #25. But idk how long they give people to decline so that number may change given that the people that posted yesterday said they would be declining.
Went and snooped on the thread and saw #20 was going to decline. I'm so excited and hope it happens for you!
ETA I should read better you said #20 was gonna decline

Screenshot_20180517-215523.png
What even is this ad??

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone: Hey Coquette how's the move going with you and giant nerd boyfriend?
Me: Is it normal to both love him and want to beat him to death with a curtain rod?
Everyone: Yes
Me: Then it's going great!

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone in the DC area willing to sell a fly vaccine series at cost? We are having an outbreak in NYC and I keep meaning to do it (visiting home for a couple of days)

I completed a US&R EM workshop and was required to attend a half-day training evolution dedicated solely to the medical care of SAR canines (because most US&R medical teams do NOT have staff veterinarians - so human docs have to be familiar with canine care).

OMG ... how do you veterinary medicine folks learn everything about dogs ... and so MANY other animals, birds, reptiles, etc???

My team worked with a Labrador Retriever who patiently put up with being "pawed" by a group of human docs.

We went through lots of information related to search dog injuries and illnesses (emergent, potentially emergent and non-emergent), canine care involving CBRNE incidents; drug metabolism and sensitivity; performing a physical examination of a canine in the absence of a veterinarian (can I pet the dog instead 'cuz I love 'doggies), canine medical intelligence, mucous membrane colors, respiratory distress, hydration issues, cranial, mid and caudal palpation, GDV, tension pneumothorax, potential euthanasia, etc.

My brain was SPINNING - I was struggling to remember everything!

Then, we had to complete a one-hour written test and practicum to pass the course. Wtf!

My test asked detailed questions about different CBRNE canine injuries/ailments, GDV (shriek!) and also included photos of different colored mucous membranes (evaluate and identify causes ... yanno ... pink vs. pale grey vs. pale bluish grey); I had to demonstrate palpation (thank gawd the dog was patient while I was fumbling around), evaluate drug dosing (ummm ... okay, but I'd really rather have a DVM do that), treat for paw pad burns (ouch!), assess vital signs (that was the easiest part of the whole exam and I got to cuddle with doggie), treat for hyperthermia and hypothermia, assess ocular injuries, allergic reactions, and so on. My brain was swimming in a flood of doggie details and I was constantly asking myself ...

How do veterinary med folks learn everything and remember all of the details - geez??!! :eek:

Reactions: 8 users
Thoughts or pros/cons on living in Arizona? @DVMDream I think you're out there, right?

There's a few internships out there that I'm interested in. Huge pro: fiance's company has a branch out there and he could potentially transfer and keep his salary/position. Branch is within a decent distance from any internship I could be in, so we could buy/rent a house somewhere in the middle. It's the best option to both keep his salary and get what I need career-wise. Kind of perfect actually, but it is a big move for him (he's Michigan born and raised) and we've got 7 animals to truck too. We could do it but I don't want either of us to be miserable.

I don't think I want to live my life out there, but if everything goes according to plan (lol) we'd be out there for 1-3 years. I'd miss grass, I know that much.

Thoughts or pros/cons on living in Arizona? @DVMDream I think you're out there, right?

There's a few internships out there that I'm interested in. Huge pro: fiance's company has a branch out there and he could potentially transfer and keep his salary/position. Branch is within a decent distance from any internship I could be in, so we could buy/rent a house somewhere in the middle. It's the best option to both keep his salary and get what I need career-wise. Kind of perfect actually, but it is a big move for him (he's Michigan born and raised) and we've got 7 animals to truck too. We could do it but I don't want either of us to be miserable.

I don't think I want to live my life out there, but if everything goes according to plan (lol) we'd be out there for 1-3 years. I'd miss grass, I know that much.

Yup, I'm out here. PM me with any and all AZ questions. I'm a born and raised desert rat. ;)

Idk where you'll be in AZ, but I really like Phoenix. If you're there, there is a ton of hiking/camping weather is always great and I find beauty in the desert. An hour-90 min away is Flagstaff which has beautiful forests and gets lots of snow! Better skiing is at Sunrise in the Pinetop/Showlow area. Those areas also have lots of lakes for camping/fishing. Summer is obviously very hot, so be aware, but I find the other times of the year extremely comfortable. The cost of living is very reasonable, and if you ever want to get away, PHX isn't the most expensive airport to vacation out of. The traffic/commutes are not bad at all compared to other large cities. Many people in phx have grass/lawns, so you'll still see a lot. There's also a lot of golf courses. Phoenix and Tucson both have a lot of things to do - shows, concerts, theater, museums, symphony, shopping, lots of delicious restaurants, outdoors stuff, etc. You should go to Antelope Canyon, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Saguaro National Monument, and lots of other places!

The ocean is about a 4hr drive away to Rocky Point or 5.5hrs to Los Angeles if you need some saltwater time :)

Con - public transportation is not great. You can get anywhere if you are willing to ride the bus long enough/bring a bike, and the lightrail is useful if you live near it.

Let me know if you have any questions! I lived out there my whole life and Oregon's rain makes me sad.

Flagstaff has grass!!! And also snow.
So if needed you could always go get your fix, if you’re not too far.
@katashark We'd ideally be around Stanfield since that's where my fiance would be working, and it's smack dab in the middle between the potential first and potential second internship (Tucson, then Phoenix). I like to make these plans and think ahead but who knows if I'd even match to the first one, let alone the second. An hour commute either way isn't super great but it's the best compromise for both of us.
Yup, I'm out here. PM me with any and all AZ questions. I'm a born and raised desert rat. ;)
Thanks, will do! It looks like it would be a huge change, but would only be for a few years probably.

Apparently the housing market is volatile so that's another issue...to buy or to rent? We'd be there for a relatively short time so renting makes more sense, but we also have 7 animals so renting would be hard to do.

Idk where you'll be in AZ, but I really like Phoenix. If you're there, there is a ton of hiking/camping weather is always great and I find beauty in the desert. An hour-90 min away is Flagstaff which has beautiful forests and gets lots of snow! Better skiing is at Sunrise in the Pinetop/Showlow area. Those areas also have lots of lakes for camping/fishing. Summer is obviously very hot, so be aware, but I find the other times of the year extremely comfortable. The cost of living is very reasonable, and if you ever want to get away, PHX isn't the most expensive airport to vacation out of. The traffic/commutes are not bad at all compared to other large cities. Many people in phx have grass/lawns, so you'll still see a lot. There's also a lot of golf courses. Phoenix and Tucson both have a lot of things to do - shows, concerts, theater, museums, symphony, shopping, lots of delicious restaurants, outdoors stuff, etc. You should go to Antelope Canyon, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Saguaro National Monument, and lots of other places!

The ocean is about a 4hr drive away to Rocky Point or 5.5hrs to Los Angeles if you need some saltwater time :)

Con - public transportation is not great. You can get anywhere if you are willing to ride the bus long enough/bring a bike, and the lightrail is useful if you live near it.

Let me know if you have any questions! I lived out there my whole life and Oregon's rain makes me sad.

Were you warp-speeding to Flag? ;)

I did undergrad there and came back to Phoenix every weekend. I think the fastest I did it was an hour and 45 minutes from door to door.

@katashark We'd ideally be around Stanfield since that's where my fiance would be working, and it's smack dab in the middle between the potential first and potential second internship (Tucson, then Phoenix). I like to make these plans and think ahead but who knows if I'd even match to the first one, let alone the second. An hour commute either way isn't super great but it's the best compromise for both of us.

Thanks, will do! It looks like it would be a huge change, but would only be for a few years probably.

Apparently the housing market is volatile so that's another issue...to buy or to rent? We'd be there for a relatively short time so renting makes more sense, but we also have 7 animals so renting would be hard to do.

I just bought a house, if the market is volatile, I sure didn't notice. Had no issues.

Will you have any on call duties? Living an hour away won't work then.

Will you have any on call duties? Living an hour away won't work then.
Good point, not sure yet. I know someone who is starting the rotating internship I'm considering so I'll have to talk to him. I imagine I would have on-call. If I knew I wouldn't get the second internship, we could live between Stanfield and Tucson and both have a 30ish minute commute. On the other hand, if we were renting and I did get the second gig, it wouldn't be a huge deal to move from the first place to a second place between Phoenix and Stanfield.

I used to be super chill about not knowing what I would be doing in life in the next year but now it's becoming a problem :laugh: Fiance appreciates stability and isn't as up to moving all around like I have been for the last 8 years.

Stanfield is really close to Eloy, there is a ton of skydiving out there, so you should pick that up as a hobby.

Reactions: 1 users
Good point, not sure yet. I know someone who is starting the rotating internship I'm considering so I'll have to talk to him. I imagine I would have on-call. If I knew I wouldn't get the second internship, we could live between Stanfield and Tucson and both have a 30ish minute commute. On the other hand, if we were renting and I did get the second gig, it wouldn't be a huge deal to move from the first place to a second place between Phoenix and Stanfield.

I used to be super chill about not knowing what I would be doing in life in the next year but now it's becoming a problem :laugh: Fiance appreciates stability and isn't as up to moving all around like I have been for the last 8 years.

The other thing you have to keep in mind about AZ is that there are big pockets of cities, then basically nothing. So you'll have Phoenix and Tuscon as fairly large cities then really tiny towns between the two.

I was looking up Stanfield ...there's like nothing there. So basic needs like groceries, clothes, etc you'll have to drive for.

Stanfield is really close to Eloy, there is a ton of skydiving out there, so you should pick that up as a hobby.
If only I didn't have a friend who's father (and instructor) died while skydiving...now I can't even imagine doing it!
The other thing you have to keep in mind about AZ is that there are big pockets of cities, then basically nothing. So you'll have Phoenix and Tuscon as fairly large cities then really tiny towns between the two.

I was looking up Stanfield ...there's like nothing there. So basic needs like groceries, clothes, etc you'll have to drive for.
I'm seeing that in terms of general housing availability too. Now that you bring up on call, I feel like it would be easier for the fiance to handle a longer commute given he would have more consistent work hours but it also depends on what housing we can find.

Yeah I wouldn't expect an hour commute to be feasible for an internship. Even 30 is pushing it, imo, and I'm someone who strongly prefers to live in small towns/the country. My residency contract says I have to arrive at the school within 30 minutes of being called. As an intern I think it was less, maybe 20? I lived 5 minutes away and highly recommend.

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't expect an hour commute to be feasible for an internship. Even 30 is pushing it, imo, and I'm someone who strongly prefers to live in small towns/the country. My residency contract says I have to arrive at the school within 30 minutes of being called. As an intern I think it was less, maybe 20? Not to mention it probably wouldn't have been safe for me to drive that far as tired as I was after a shift toward the end of a 100 hour week.
After more thoroughly reading about the internship, it mentions having to be on call for a few satellite locations as well so I'd really have to be careful about where we set up shop. No specified radius but I'm sure if that exists they'd tell me upon offering me the job.

Now I'm all kinds of stressed over it, I'm trying my best to keep my fiance's career on the right track while starting my own and it's really not easy to do. He's got a very narrow window in terms of his training/expertise so he's not all that flexible in terms of where he could work. That being said, Arizona seems like the best option for us right now. I hate to get married (two weeks after I graduate) and then immediately pack it up and move but if we have to, we will. And then there's the stress of wondering if I'd even match there...

After more thoroughly reading about the internship, it mentions having to be on call for a few satellite locations as well so I'd really have to be careful about where we set up shop. No specified radius but I'm sure if that exists they'd tell me upon offering me the job.

Now I'm all kinds of stressed over it, I'm trying my best to keep my fiance's career on the right track while starting my own and it's really not easy to do. He's got a very narrow window in terms of his training/expertise so he's not all that flexible in terms of where he could work despite. That being said, Arizona seems like the best option for us right now. I hate to get married (two weeks after I graduate) and then immediately pack it up and move but if we have to, we will. And then there's the stress of wondering if I'd even match there...

I completely understand wanting to know how things will work out exactly. Where will we live. What will commute be, etc, etc, etc. As for satellite locations and on-call, when you get to the stage of interviewing/being able to ask questions, ask a current intern or someone how that works out with commuting, etc. They know people live in a specific location and that travel can be great, perhaps they have a set up to make that work out so that you don't have to be worried about "setting up shop" in some perfect location that will get you to every satellite in x minutes (because that is unlikely to happen).

I recommend to really take it one step at a time. You know Arizona is a possibility and could work out, that is all you need to know at this time. Do the internship application thing and see what happens. Also look around at other places/programs too. This isn't something that needs to be determined today and like you said, you may not even match to the one in AZ (as scary as that sounds). Things do tend to have a way of working out.

Focus your current energy on which step is next most important, getting applications together, studying for NAVLE and checking if any other programs would work out for both of you.

Once you get an internship, then you can pinpoint the details.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, I know it would suck especially right after getting married, but is long-distance at all a possibility so that you could both still focus on your individual careers? Internships are only a year, so he could stay where he is currently at and then you could have much more flexibility internship-wise than you do trying to find something for both of you in the same state/region/city.

I completely understand wanting to know how things will work out exactly. Where will we live. What will commute be, etc, etc, etc. As for satellite locations and on-call, when you get to the stage of interviewing/being able to ask questions, ask a current intern or someone how that works out with commuting, etc. They know people live in a specific location and that travel can be great, perhaps they have a set up to make that work out so that you don't have to be worried about "setting up shop" in some perfect location that will get you to every satellite in x minutes (because that is unlikely to happen).

I recommend to really take it one step at a time. You know Arizona is a possibility and could work out, that is all you need to know at this time. Do the internship application thing and see what happens. Also look around at other places/programs too. This isn't something that needs to be determined today and like you said, you may not even match to the one in AZ (as scary as that sounds). Things do tend to have a way of working out.

Focus your current energy on which step is next most important, getting applications together, studying for NAVLE and checking if any other programs would work out for both of you.

Once you get an internship, then you can pinpoint the details.
Oh that's right, the NAVLE.
Also, I know it would suck especially right after getting married, but is long-distance at all a possibility so that you could both still focus on your individual careers? Internships are only a year, so he could stay where he is currently at and then you could have much more flexibility internship-wise than you do trying to find something for both of you in the same state/region/city.
I'll say it's possible, but obviously highly undesirable. We've been long distance for almost 5 years now, save for school breaks. He's really antsy to be in the same house as me for more than two weeks. Given that I may only have as few as 5 days vacation during the entire first year of our marriage, it may not be something I'm willing to do. Right now I think I would be willing, but losing the entire first year of our marriage seems like it would do a lot of harm.

Lots to think about. I'm bad about getting ahead of myself because I like to be prepared and be one step ahead, but at this point I'm really stuck on who I would even ask for LORs.

Put off cleaning the house for 3 weeks while my wife and kids were gone. Now I have the whole thing to do tonight before I leave in the morning. Good thing there are only 2 playoff games on tonight

Reactions: 4 users
We use VIN. And Clinical Advisor. And other vets.

Well done on your course! Hope you learned lots!
@Coquette22 thanks!

It was fascinating to learn about different things that impact the health of SAR dogs - very educational and interesting.

But I've already forgotten much of the info - my brain haz gone dumb - geez!

Last edited:
How do you feel about red pandas and trash pandas?
Red Pandas - Not a fan that their diet mostly consists of **** THEY CAN'T EVEN DIGEST, but at least they attempt to reproduce unlike giant pandas. Overall, meh.

Trash Pandas - All pandas are trash.

wow piss off Mel. You’re the worst!

Only partly joking. Don’t insult pandas like that.
Revised list of worst animals on earth (with Cdo's suggestion taken into account)
1. Mel
2. Pandas
3. Pandas
4. Dolphins
5. Otters.

Reactions: 5 users