Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Went to an appointment today that I made over a month ago with a pulmonologist. Left appointment right away because they maybe don’t accept my student health insurance plan and I didn’t want to fork over $200 for the office visit and risk not getting reimbursed. Called my insurance provider who said the pulmonologist was in my plan, albeit as a tier two provider, but in the plan nonetheless.....basically confirming what I had already looked up online before scheduling the appointment. I don’t know what to believe, so **** it. I’ll just let my allergist one floor suite over manage my asthma. He, allegedly, is in network as a first tier provider.... for now.....maybe...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Went to an appointment today that I made over a month ago with a pulmonologist. Left appointment right away because they maybe don’t accept my student health insurance plan and I didn’t want to fork over $200 for the office visit and risk not getting reimbursed. Called my insurance provider who said the pulmonologist was in my plan, albeit as a tier two provider, but in the plan nonetheless.....basically confirming what I had already looked up online before scheduling the appointment. I don’t know what to believe, so **** it. I’ll just let my allergist one floor suite over manage my asthma. He, allegedly, is in network as a first tier provider.... for now.....maybe...
UGHHH IM SORRY INSURANCE IS THE ****ING BANE OF MY EXISTENCE!!!! I FEEL YOU!!! ITS THE WORST!!!!!

(i mean, it's amazing and 100000% necessary and having even ****ty insurance is better than not having any.... but JFC why is it such a PITA?! ......i'm esp salty about insurance rn because i turn 26 next week and lose my parents insurance feb 1, so i'll be going onto medicaid next month and have to change all my doctors and my main medication isn't covered at all if you're over 20 years old. i'm thrilled i tell you, thrilled!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
UGHHH IM SORRY INSURANCE IS THE ****ING BAIN OF MY EXISTENCE!!!! I FEEL YOU!!! ITS THE WORST!!!!!

(i mean, it's amazing and 100000% necessary and having even ****ty insurance is better than not having any.... but JFC why is it such a PITA?! ......i'm esp salty about insurance rn because i turn 26 next week and lose my parents insurance feb 1, so i'll be going onto medicaid next month and have to change all my doctors and my main medication isn't covered at all if you're over 20 years old. i'm thrilled i tell you, thrilled!)
That blows I'm on Medicaid right now too and it's a PITA as well. There's no escape

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WHITE PELIIIISSSSS

SUCH ASSHOLESSSSSSSSS

I LUV THEMMMMMMMMM even when they try to eat my face
Oh, so that's what they're called "white pelicans," eh? Didn't know their name - thanks for the info.

They never bother me although they like to find out what I'm eating. Don't ever feed them though. So, they eventually leave.

@Miranda Senft @grebes4lyfe bump!

untitled.png

untitled2.png

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Such cute flooffy buoys. What's the white thing floating in there?

It’s a boom we’re testing to see if it helps water quality issues

We’ve had to deal with some fish changes and they’re oilier than we’d like

Yes! We’re really excited, this is buzzing up a lot of news publicity for our school. However, that being said I reaaaaally hope it ends in a good outcome, but yeah that doctor is great. He complimented my suture technique at the suture wetlab, and when I was a first year, he was helping me with the gigli wire and said that I did a really great job with my hindlimb amputation!

My fave is the clarks (yellower bill, green leg band) because he dives for his fish like a good birb

Reactions: 4 users
For some reason I keep forgetting that they're planning to go back to the year-round, three year model. Hello burnout.

Totes not worth it if you still have 200k+ in loans as well.

https://www.avma.org/news/javmanews/pages/190201m.aspx

Not to break up the birb love going on, but Arizona sounds pretty confident they're going to get a letter of assurance from the COE.
It's one of my associate dean's that got hired. She helped to lead the curriculum change here, and I'm assuming that's going well so far. I haven't looked at their plans recently, but weren't they floating the plan of conditionally admitting people to the DVM program as college freshman, and then changing that depending on how they did in their first couple of semesters?

It's one of my associate dean's that got hired. She helped to lead the curriculum change here, and I'm assuming that's going well so far. I haven't looked at their plans recently, but weren't they floating the plan of conditionally admitting people to the DVM program as college freshman, and then changing that depending on how they did in their first couple of semesters?

I think that was part of their original, shot-down curriculum where they were modeling it after the European schools. There's currently no info of their new curriculum plans on their website.

https://www.avma.org/news/javmanews/pages/190201m.aspx

Not to break up the birb love going on, but Arizona sounds pretty confident they're going to get a letter of assurance from the COE.
They sounded pretty confident last time they had the COE review their curriculum, didn't they? I'm honestly wondering at this point if they're simply aiming to be persistent and keep making tweaks until their program is approved

I'm not sure how they're going to set up 3 year, year round program successfully though. Even 2+2 programs are pretty tough to get through academically and those students still get breaks.

I mean, just from a burnout perspective - I am getting off a break that was over a month long and I still don't want to go back with every fiber of my being. I simply cannot imagine the unbelievable challenges involved in being in veterinary school that long without some summer breaks in there.

I'm also curious how that's supposed to work for students who would otherwise use the time off to obtain productive/valuable experiences related to future career paths - things like research opportunities, externships, travel abroad, travel to out of state clinics or schools for opportunities, etc. Some of these things are month+ long opportunities that simply can't be fit in as an externship rotation during fourth year.

I mean, just from a burnout perspective - I am getting off a break that was over a month long and I still don't want to go back with every fiber of my being. I simply cannot imagine the unbelievable challenges involved in being in veterinary school that long without some summer breaks in there.

Agreed on all counts. Illinois squeezes all our didactics into 24/32 weeks per year (72 weeks total) with decent breaks and it's rough. I can't imagine doing all of it in 64 weeks straight in a row.

So we have a doctor, and she was trying to recruit our dogs for a food trial. She told us we would get a months worth of kibble and treats.

That’s cool I guess, whatever. Not many people in our class signed up.

She then came in today, and said that in addition to a months worth of kibble and treats, you ALSO get a free CBC, Chem panel, UA, T4, and fecal exam.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of us are signed up now. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
So we have a doctor, and she was trying to recruit our dogs for a food trial. She told us we would get a months worth of kibble and treats.

That’s cool I guess, whatever. Not many people in our class signed up.

She then came in today, and said that in addition to a months worth of kibble and treats, you ALSO get a free CBC, Chem panel, UA, T4, and fecal exam.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of us are signed up now. :laugh:
Something like this happened for my class too. Couple weeks ago the school asked for volunteers for a focus group. They only got like 2 or 3 so today they sent an email with the subject line "Would you like $50?!?!" In 8 hours 12/16 spots are filled.