Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! Random question lol. I'm in this year's cycle for Vet School, and if I get in I will be officially moving out for the first time. I've always dreamed of getting a cat when I moved out of my parents house, and at the moment I still plan on that. I was wondering, for those who have adopted pets into their lives when starting vet school, do you recommend it? I've known people who have gotten pets and handled it alongside coursework, I just wanna make sure I have enough time for my future furbaby while also keeping up with my studies. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Random question lol. I'm in this year's cycle for Vet School, and if I get in I will be officially moving out for the first time. I've always dreamed of getting a cat when I moved out of my parents house, and at the moment I still plan on that. I was wondering, for those who have adopted pets into their lives when starting vet school, do you recommend it? I've known people who have gotten pets and handled it alongside coursework, I just wanna make sure I have enough time for my future furbaby while also keeping up with my studies. Thanks!
I think it’s totally doable with an animal that can be more independent like a cat. I have two rabbits and I spend quite a bit of time with them every day to make sure they are getting enrichment. Though it can be difficult to do a lot when you feel like you’re drowning.

I know having them makes it easier to motivate myself out of bed in the morning, and knowing I have someone to distract me when I need a break.

The only downside is affording their care, so definitely recommend pet insurance and using school feeding programs. For my rabbits I use oxbow because we get a 25-50% discount on item.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it’s totally doable with an animal that can be more independent like a cat. I have two rabbits and I spend quite a bit of time with them every day to make sure they are getting enrichment. Though it can be difficult to do a lot when you feel like you’re drowning.

I know having them makes it easier to motivate myself out of bed in the morning, and knowing I have someone to distract me when I need a break.

The only downside is affording their care, so definitely recommend pet insurance and using school feeding programs. For my rabbits I use oxbow because we get a 25-50% discount on item.
Ok! Thank you for the advice 😊

Members don't see this ad :)

I also have two rabbits in addition to a cat! I plan on taking them with me whenever I move away for school. Was it easy for you to find a place that will accept rabbits, that is, if you had to move?

I also have two rabbits in addition to a cat! I plan on taking them with me whenever I move away for school. Was it easy for you to find a place that will accept rabbits, that is, if you had to move?
I got my rabbits after I moved to my current apartment. My landlords are pretty lax and said pets were fine as long as it wasn’t a super big dog. Most places around my vet school were very pet accepting so it wasn’t hard to find a place if I didn’t live where I currently live.

Reactions: 1 user
So I work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I was calling clients this evening to give them an update about their hospitalized pets in the ICU. I had the following interaction:

Me: “well alright I’ll reach out in the morning with an update on how [your pet] is doing and talk about our ongoing plan!”

Client: “oh really? You have to work on Christmas? I thought you would have a resident that could cover it”

Me: *small tired sigh* “yeah, I am that resident”

Client: “oh.”

Merry Christmas to me apparently :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Hey, apparently you sound like the adulty adult to clients!
Fortunately while I suffer from a chronic case of DBS (dumb bitch syndrome), client communications have always been a strength of mine. I’m pretty sure it’s the golden retriever personality

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Went to dental ce today. Talked to boss after work "I think those are great ideas I'm glad you're interested in dentistry"
Me "I'm not so much interested in it as I'm trying to hate my life less when I'm pulling teeth"
😅🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Just sharing: Most of my clinic listens to country as kind of their first line of music. So this week in surgery has been the Toby Keith tribute. Even my boss who usually listens to happy radio has recognized our Toby Keith tribute.

Also all of our husbands basically woke us up Tuesday by informing us he had died. Was an ironic coincidence and slightly somber mood Tuesday.

• Care
One of my new staffers, distraught and flummoxed, came to get me at closing to talk to an argumentative client. She had earlier agreed to hundreds of dollars of services and had essentially changed her mind because she didn’t understand the pricing of things on and off a wellness plan (which I spent 20 minutes going over on the phone with her) - the gist of which can be summarized as “off plan $$$“ and “on plan $.” I stayed professional, but this idiot just would not stop, so I told her she can do what she wants. If the account isn’t paid, she’ll be sent to collections. That ruffled some elitist feathers. She kept going on about her being educated and married to a surgeon, insinuating that she was intelligent and, I guess, not an easily confused dumb-ass, though the portrayal was hauntingly convincing.

I can’t with peoples anymore. I don’t know whether to be mad at them or laugh at them. That is my random story.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then she can afford whatever you charged. Good for you for sticking to your guns.
True. I really wanted to ask if I should talk to her husband instead. Also, when half of everyone you know is some kind doctor, it’s not that impressive of a flex anymore.

I will say that threatening collections worked like a charm. The mere suggestion that she would be unable to pay her bill, like one of the peasants, made her spite pay over $600. So he he he.

• Haha
A BRAND NEW ONE FOR YOU ALL.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are IMMUNE to fleas and ticks. Courtesy of my first client today to my LVT. 🫠🫠🙃🙃😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
A BRAND NEW ONE FOR YOU ALL.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are IMMUNE to fleas and ticks. Courtesy of my first client today to my LVT. 🫠🫠🙃🙃😂😂
Schitts Creek No GIF by CBC

Sometimes people say things to me and I just go... Huh.

• Haha
I’m trying to figure out if one of my current job prospects is full of red flags or if I’m just in a mood where everything and everyone in vet med just seems like a red flag. I don’t know.

• Care
I’m trying to figure out if one of my current job prospects is full of red flags or if I’m just in a mood where everything and everyone in vet med just seems like a red flag. I don’t know.
If you want a working vet perspective, you're welcome to post your concerns. The beauty of a forum like this is the way you can be vague enough for anonymity, and those of us who have been doctors for a while can tell you if it would be personal red flags. Now that I've found my unicorn job, I have no problem telling people if theyve found the troll under the bridge

If you want a working vet perspective, you're welcome to post your concerns. The beauty of a forum like this is the way you can be vague enough for anonymity, and those of us who have been doctors for a while can tell you if it would be personal red flags. Now that I've found my unicorn job, I have no problem telling people if theyve found the troll under the bridge
It’s for a new emergency clinic - a satellite of a larger local facility- that’s slated to open in late summer… or so I was initially told. So far, my interview with the recruiter went well. The interview with the medical director was okay, but I was a little weirded out when she misunderstood something I said and I had to correct her. She also moved the timeline up to training in April with the new clinic opening in May. Now she wants me to come visit her other clinic to meet in person, which is fine, but the tone of the e-mail feels off. Maybe she’s annoyed because I initially interpreted the meeting time to be 3PM to 4PM but it appears she meant arrive somewhere between those times and wanted me to specify, though I’m not sure how I feel about the possibility of shadowing for some unknown amount of hours on my day off. The communication in general has been poor. Even before our first interview she missed my reply and had to resend an e-mail asking for my availability. Normal new job search annoyances or red flags?

It’s for a new emergency clinic - a satellite of a larger local facility- that’s slated to open in late summer… or so I was initially told. So far, my interview with the recruiter went well. The interview with the medical director was okay, but I was a little weirded out when she misunderstood something I said and I had to correct her. She also moved the timeline up to training in April with the new clinic opening in May. Now she wants me to come visit her other clinic to meet in person, which is fine, but the tone of the e-mail feels off. Maybe she’s annoyed because I initially interpreted the meeting time to be 3PM to 4PM but it appears she meant arrive somewhere between those times and wanted me to specify, though I’m not sure how I feel about the possibility of shadowing for some unknown amount of hours on my day off. The communication in general has been poor. Even before our first interview she missed my reply and had to resend an e-mail asking for my availability. Normal new job search annoyances or red flags?
I feel like maybe yellow flag. Is she going to be the medical director at the new hospital? If so maybe not a good fit if already having communication issues, however how has correcting those miscommunications gone? As far as the email being missed it happens sometimes if we want to give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe go to the shadowing and get some current docs numbers to get the scoop. Email back and ask for clarificaion for number of hours or just set up the expectation on your end since it is your day off unless they're going to comp you.

Reactions: 1 users
Day 3 of being a solo doc again only to get sick is awesome. Nothing like gradually dying infront of all your coworkers and trying to reschedule days worth of apts :vomit:Haven't been sick sick in years 🙄

• Care
I don't think weird communication at this stage is a reason to at least not go and personally scope things out.

Also, very rarely does a new hospital actually open on time, let alone early. So I feel like the timeline shift is a bit weird as well. I was in a similar situation where my new hospital was supposed to open within a week or two after I joined. Jokes, opened two months later. However, they kept me on and I worked at the OG hospital for that time. So make sure there's contingency plans in place so you have a paycheck in the event the new hospital is an issue as far as opening on time.

Absolutely have solid boundaries now as far as this meet up. You should be paid for a working interview if you do indeed see cases. My working interview was 4 hours. 1.5 for the sit down; 2.5 for the working. I was paid for all of it. If you're not working, I honestly don't see a reason to be there longer than an hour or so.

So I didn't know that for jury duty you can get selected to go to district and higher trials. (Like I knew ppl served on those juries but I always assumed it was selected out of ppl who lived in the nearby surrounding area). My poor husband will get the unfortunate news when he gets up tonight that his lucky soul got elected for potential duty to a higher case 3+hours away. 🙃

So I didn't know that for jury duty you can get selected to go to district and higher trials. (Like I knew ppl served on those juries but I always assumed it was selected out of ppl who lived in the nearby surrounding area). My poor husband will get the unfortunate news when he gets up tonight that his lucky soul got elected for potential duty to a higher case 3+hours away. 🙃
My grandma was selected for a grand jury case last year!

I don't think weird communication at this stage is a reason to at least not go and personally scope things out….
The in-person interview went fairly well and I’m likely taking the job. Just waiting for the final contract now. I can’t say it will be a dream job, but I’m looking forward to developing new skills….. and increasing my base salary by 30%… and working fewer days…. and having trained technicians… or really any technicians.

The in-person interview went fairly well and I’m likely taking the job. Just waiting for the final contract now. I can’t say it will be a dream job, but I’m looking forward to developing new skills….. and increasing my base salary by 30%… and working fewer days…. and having trained technicians… or really any technicians.
I support this tbh. I agree that salary shouldn't make or break a job, but that increase is amazing. I absolutely love the increase in salary and my 12-13 shifts per month 🤣

Give it a shot! I'm hoping it works out for you ❤️

Is anyone else worried about the number of vet schools that are opening?

Is anyone else worried about the number of vet schools that are opening?
Always. And the number of class seat expansions. And the fact the NAVLE pass rate only needs to be 80% for a passing COE inspection. And that attrition rates aren't necessarily considered.

I have a lot of feels about vet med education.

Always. And the number of class seat expansions. And the fact the NAVLE pass rate only needs to be 80% for a passing COE inspection. And that attrition rates aren't necessarily considered.

I have a lot of feels about vet med education.
What is the reason for the class seat expansions? There are 141 people in my class and is the largest so far at WSU.

What is the reason for the class seat expansions?
More butts in seats means more income for the school. I know my school seems to get less and less money from the state every year, so they raise tuition and add additional seats (especially more expensive/profitable OOS seats) to make up that deficit. The schools don’t really care about what happens after you graduate. I mean, they do in the sense that they theoretically want you to succeed and be an asset representing the program, but once you graduate and your tuition dollars have been paid, the ultimate outcome of your career isn’t something the schools care a whole lot about. Their main job is to fill seats and bring in tuition money. If there aren’t any jobs available because there’s a sudden influx of new grads or a recession or whatever, well that’s your problem to deal with, not theirs.

I would also add that I no longer feel the AVMA COE doesn't care what happens to students during or after school either. At least not any more.

Sounds like that needs to be a CSU pathology problem
I WISH. So it came in didn't know people were going through a divorce, the associate did the necropsy shared with the party the findings because they brought the dog in. Dog goes in the freezer. Come the following week the other o calls stating she wants a necropsy other party is NOT the owner and not to share any information with the party that brought the dog in, told them we need a lawyer/judge paperwork, never got anything. "Rightful" o comes and picks cremation which the other party was on board with and said forget the necropsy they just want their dog back. Sent the p to cremation. The cremation place gets a call from the lawyer of the "rightful o" wanting a necropsy-thankfully? the dog hadn't been cremated yet. Cremation place is like WTF. So we have to go back and get this dog. (BTW this dog has been in and out of preservation like 4 times now). Then they come in today wanting to resolve everything and at this point like the cops have been involved it's a whole thing. Dog is now basically waiting for a judge to decide what to do with it since the ppl be cray cray.😅😬

• Okay...
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Oh man 4 times???? It's going to be jelly at this point....
I WISH. So it came in didn't know people were going through a divorce, the associate did the necropsy shared with the party the findings because they brought the dog in. Dog goes in the freezer. Come the following week the other o calls stating she wants a necropsy other party is NOT the owner and not to share any information with the party that brought the dog in, told them we need a lawyer/judge paperwork, never got anything. "Rightful" o comes and picks cremation which the other party was on board with and said forget the necropsy they just want their dog back. Sent the p to cremation. The cremation place gets a call from the lawyer of the "rightful o" wanting a necropsy-thankfully? the dog hadn't been cremated yet. Cremation place is like WTF. So we have to go back and get this dog. (BTW this dog has been in and out of preservation like 4 times now). Then they come in today wanting to resolve everything and at this point like the cops have been involved it's a whole thing. Dog is now basically waiting for a judge to decide what to do with it since the ppl be cray cray.😅😬

Hey Yall, this is random which is why i’m here lol but have any vet students (current and previous) received a patagonia jacket or vest for their school? I know it’s a huge thing in human med school, the ✨patagucci✨. as broke as i am, i still want one lol

Hey Yall, this is random which is why i’m here lol but have any vet students (current and previous) received a patagonia jacket or vest for their school? I know it’s a huge thing in human med school, the ✨patagucci✨. as broke as i am, i still want one lol
One of our clubs (or may have been savma?) at UIUC had Patagonia stuff during one of the clothing sales. I don’t remember what all they had but I know they had full zip sweatshirts (the “better sweater”). I just wore mine this past week 😂 Def see if any of yours have Patagonia as an option once you start in the fall!! If not, join a clothing committee and make your dreams happen.

• Love
One of our clubs (or may have been savma?) at UIUC had Patagonia stuff during one of the clothing sales. I don’t remember what all they had but I know they had full zip sweatshirts (the “better sweater”). I just wore mine this past week 😂 Def see if any of yours have Patagonia as an option once you start in the fall!! If not, join a clothing committee and make your dreams happen.
The club was NAVAS because the OG pres was bougie as heck. So she made sure they were the only Patagonia game in town. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hire a professional dog photographer. It’s worth it.

This was just our sneak peek photo…I won’t get the rest back for about a week. But she made two dogs who were only semi-cooperative look good.
IMG_2139.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
How does everyone talk to o about castration regarding prostate issues? I feel like overall I do a decent job as a doctor and at explaining things. It's possible that these people are just that attached to their dog's testicles, but I feel so bad for the pets when it's something that has a fairly simple fix. Had the second o this week to bascially roll their eyes at me after complaining about butt stuff and me recommending castration after finding prostate issues and explaining how and why. Maybe it's because I don't have testicles :unsure:

Last edited:
It's possible that these people are just that attached to their dog's testicles, but I feel so bad for the pets when it's something that has a fairly simple fix.
1. Some of these people really are mentally attached to their dog's testicles. That not having testicles makes their dog less of a dog. Bizarre cultural thing to me.

2. I paint a worst case scenario, a.k.a the clinical signs will just get worse and worse because of the hormones and the only way to get rid of their hormones is to take the source. So I emphasize whatever the client feels inconvenienced by will be worse and soon.

3. If someone says something like, "But I don't want him to lose his balls!" I asked, "Why? What does he need then for?"

Mother in law is adopting motor oil puppy!

Attachments

• 73465278157__6AF815AA-331B-417D-9670-C8A0620C2854.jpeg
    73465278157__6AF815AA-331B-417D-9670-C8A0620C2854.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 21
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
So as a general rule I don't engage people on FB regarding vet stuff 99% of the time because its like speaking into a void, but I broke down and did because someone was saying how sad a trained professional that could do something wouldn't try to fix what I assume was cardiac tamponade without the o paying 3k in addition to the 1.5k they had already paid for work up. And treating this one case wouldn't shut the hospital down. Person seems to be lacking basic brain power as to why that's an offensive statement, lack of understanding of seriousness of the disease and its not an easy fix, and lack of general money function understanding of the world and the fact most vets have 0 ability to control tx without collection of funds. Common senses and the ability to critically think and emotionally engage in a proper manner is why the general public sucks. I tried but I don't get too heated over it my goal is always general education for people and they can take it or leave it and encourage kindness towards those caring for the patient. Also I would be rich if I had a dollar for everytime I had to turn people away or give suboptimal care-they didn't seem to understand that😅

• Care
So as a general rule I don't engage people on FB regarding vet stuff 99% of the time because its like speaking into a void, but I broke down and did because someone was saying how sad a trained professional that could do something wouldn't try to fix what I assume was cardiac tamponade without the o paying 3k in addition to the 1.5k they had already paid for work up. And treating this one case wouldn't shut the hospital down. Person seems to be lacking basic brain power as to why that's an offensive statement, lack of understanding of seriousness of the disease and its not an easy fix, and lack of general money function understanding of the world and the fact most vets have 0 ability to control tx without collection of funds. Common senses and the ability to critically think and emotionally engage in a proper manner is why the general public sucks. I tried but I don't get too heated over it my goal is always general education for people and they can take it or leave it and encourage kindness towards those caring for the patient. Also I would be rich if I had a dollar for everytime I had to turn people away or give suboptimal care-they didn't seem to understand that😅
I actually straight up quit Facebook. Like logged out of it on my phone, though still logged on my computer. But I generally don't go on my computer for fun things. So haven't been on in 2 months or so. I'm way less stressed/angry now that SDN is my only social media. 😅