Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think this is a good place to park this

tebowbaby-600x501.jpg

I see your Tim Tebow and raise you a Sidney Crosby:

1.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
There is someone giving away two dumbo rats. I really want to take them. But my mom hates them. I always get to hear how I'm living in HER house, so she's making decisions. But I reeaallllyyy want rats again.

I'd really like to get a bird but have never had one, though I did "bird sit" for a few months ... any of you have birds or can offer any words of advice?

I'd really like to get a bird but have never had one, though I did "bird sit" for a few months ... any of you have birds or can offer any words of advice?

I have never owned a bird, but I took care of the one at one of the vet clinics are worked at...

That bird was a jerk and dirty. Birds are dirty, really dirty.

(Warning: I am not a big fan of birds, they bite and are dirty and mean so my opinion is probably biased.)

I have never owned a bird, but I took care of the one at one of the vet clinics are worked at...

That bird was a jerk and dirty. Birds are dirty, really dirty.

(Warning: I am not a big fan of birds, they bite and are dirty and mean so my opinion is probably biased.)

Birds are so beautiful, definitely a little strange though. I've met some really mean birds BUT I've met some friendly birds. I would never go out of my way to buy a bird but I would consider adopting one that needs a good home ...

Though I think my husband might leave me if I bring home any more homeless animals. We've fostered several special needs cats and dogs then sent them on to forever homes once they're healthy. He gets soooo attached :p

Birds are so beautiful, definitely a little strange though. I've met some really mean birds BUT I've met some friendly birds. I would never go out of my way to buy a bird but I would consider adopting one that needs a good home ...

Though I think my husband might leave me if I bring home any more homeless animals. We've fostered several special needs cats and dogs then sent them on to forever homes once they're healthy. He gets soooo attached :p

My mom has kept parakeets for a long time. They're really pleasant - small enough to grab to medicate but vocal and pretty :)

I feel like bigger birds are really needy, and very temperamental. I always wanted a parrot, but after working in pet stores I realized they were not for me. I did get attached to a couple of the ones we had though...

I have an African Grey. She's pretty cool, but I would be happy to back up DVM on this one and say... birds are nasty, and mean, and nasty, and they shiz everywhere, and they're mean. Entertaining, but mean... and nasty.

Partly a rant and looking for advice...

So I am having some problems with my cat. He is a little over 1 year old and I have had him since he was 3 weeks, he was my foster kitten and I ended up adopting him

I made some mistakes when he was younger :oops: and rough housed with him a lot to where when he got bigger it became a real problem. I have almost rid him of the issue but now he really has issues with a new cat from a neighbor who couldn’t keep her. He basically stalks her and when she gets too close he screams and attacks. She has never done anything to him and honestly I do not know why he does not like her because he is good with the others and she is great with the other cats too.

I know it is really stressing him out as he has started to urinate around the house. Also when I pick him up he bites, hisses and is uncontrollable. I have restricted him to my bedroom where after an hour or so he becomes a completely normal cat, no hissing, starts purring and is completely lovable. I feel so bad for locking him in my room all day because he loves to play and run around but cannot have him attacking other cats, people and ruining the house… I am also worried that later (when I move out I will already be taking him and my other cat who is about 12) when my other cat dies I will never be able to introduce a new cat to him and will be stuck with him as my only cat for years.. :scared:

Any advice on how to improve the situation or his attitude?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we're taking the rats.. :love:

I love rats! The ones I've had have all been so sweet. I currently have an elderly guinea pig that I adopted from a family looking to give her up and it's just not the same ...

I love rats! The ones I've had have all been so sweet. I currently have an elderly guinea pig that I adopted from a family looking to give her up and it's just not the same ...

I've never been a big fan of guinea pigs but lovvee rats. I'm pretty excited!

I've never been a big fan of guinea pigs but lovvee rats. I'm pretty excited!

omg you guys dont know what you're talking about, piggies are the BEST! :D:laugh:

Partly a rant and looking for advice...

So I am having some problems with my cat. He is a little over 1 year old and I have had him since he was 3 weeks, he was my foster kitten and I ended up adopting him

I made some mistakes when he was younger :oops: and rough housed with him a lot to where when he got bigger it became a real problem. I have almost rid him of the issue but now he really has issues with a new cat from a neighbor who couldn’t keep her. He basically stalks her and when she gets too close he screams and attacks. She has never done anything to him and honestly I do not know why he does not like her because he is good with the others and she is great with the other cats too.

I know it is really stressing him out as he has started to urinate around the house. Also when I pick him up he bites, hisses and is uncontrollable. I have restricted him to my bedroom where after an hour or so he becomes a completely normal cat, no hissing, starts purring and is completely lovable. I feel so bad for locking him in my room all day because he loves to play and run around but cannot have him attacking other cats, people and ruining the house… I am also worried that later (when I move out I will already be taking him and my other cat who is about 12) when my other cat dies I will never be able to introduce a new cat to him and will be stuck with him as my only cat for years.. :scared:

Any advice on how to improve the situation or his attitude?

I would take a couple steps back and start the introduction all over again. (How long has the new cat been in the house? Less than a few months?)
Lock new kitty in a room somewhere where your cat will be able to sniff under the door. I would say give that at least a week. It lets your cat re-establish the house as his own, not worry so much about her, but still remind him that she exists.
You can also try to encourage him to go near the room that she's in. Put cat nip or treats outside the door so he associates good things with her scent.
After you've given that a while (longer is probably better) get one of those extra tall dog gates. You'll probably have to put chicken wire or mesh or something up so they can't slip through the bars. Hopefully they won't want to jump over otherwise you'll have to doctor the door frame with some cardboard or something.
Again at this stage you can do cookies and catnip by the door, but I probably wouldn't do it until they start to feel more comfortable with each other.
Hopefully if you give it long enough behind the gate you can start letting new cat out for longer periods of time until they can be together while your home and then eventually all the time. It might take a couple months, but maybe taking a few steps back will work?

I have an African Grey. She's pretty cool, but I would be happy to back up DVM on this one and say... birds are nasty, and mean, and nasty, and they shiz everywhere, and they're mean. Entertaining, but mean... and nasty.

Awww that's not true!!! It really depends on the bird (both species and individual), and your particular relationship with the bird. They do poop a lot, and can be messy but I wouldn't say they're nasty. Their poop/pee is not nearly as offensive as that of other animals. I could walk around even with a macaw poop on my shirt and not be bothered (granted, I'd probably Kleenex off the bulk of it), but I would change as soon as I possibly could with the same amount of poop of most other animals.

That being said, they are very high maintenance in general, a long term commitment, and difficult to keep healthy without doing a lot of your own research. It can also be hard to find good avian vets depending on where you live. And the more sophisticated the species brain and social needs are, the harder it is to keep them sane. With many of the psittacine species, your life can literally end up revolving around keeping your birds happy.

Budgies and zebra finches tend to be not as high maintenance, but they also tend to be like the smaller pocket pets. Some people do an excellent job developing a relationship with them and taking good care of them. But maany people lose interest in them, and they end up being these almost forgotten ornaments that barely get the care they need. Not all budgies end up talkative and attentive to people, which can be disappointing. This is even more of a problem with cockatiels, and even more so with African Greys and Amazons. The bigger and/or more sophisticated birds tend to be more interesting to people, but I would NOT get any of them without knowing fully what you're getting yourself into. Cockatiels tend to be a good compromise in many aspects, but they do require better care than the average pet owner thinks to give them. I've seen so many of them really suffering with their livers shot due to poor nutrition. Conures and such can be deceptively needy and loud, so don't fall into the trap of thinking they're easy to maintain just because of their size.

To whoever was wanting to maybe get a bird, I highly suggest going to a reputable bird sanctuary/rescue if there is one nearby. There are so many unwanted birds out there (who are perfectly fine birds) that it's a great way to acquire a bird with a known history and temperament. And it's a great way to get good information about husbandry for the species you're interested in. Volunteering there will also give you a good idea of what kind of care they need, and hearing the stories behind many of the birds will give you a good idea about what kinds of originally well-intentioned pet owners lacked in terms of being a good birdy home. That should give you a better sense of which species and individual bird is right for you.

I personally got my parrots when they were young, because my family was one that just HAD to have all of these cool pets... And I have spent a better part of my life agonizing over how to provide them the life they deserve. One is a happy go lucky bird that causes no problems at all. But man, when you have a problem parrot, it turns your life upside down. And it really is a lifetime commitment.

omg you guys dont know what you're talking about, piggies are the BEST! :D:laugh:

When I first got her she was friendly and loved to be held. Now she just bites me! She squeals every afternoon/evening when it's veggie time ha ha

And I think the family lied to me about her age. They said she was 7 and I figured I would give her a great last year or two of life ... now 2 years later she's still going strong! That would put her at like 9 years old!! :eyebrow:

Awww that's not true!!! It really depends on the bird (both species and individual), and your particular relationship with the bird. They do poop a lot, and can be messy but I wouldn't say they're nasty. Their poop/pee is not nearly as offensive as that of other animals. I could walk around even with a macaw poop on my shirt and not be bothered (granted, I'd probably Kleenex off the bulk of it), but I would change as soon as I possibly could with the same amount of poop of most other animals.

That being said, they are very high maintenance in general, a long term commitment, and difficult to keep healthy without doing a lot of your own research. It can also be hard to find good avian vets depending on where you live. And the more sophisticated the species brain and social needs are, the harder it is to keep them sane. With many of the psittacine species, your life can literally end up revolving around keeping your birds happy.

Budgies and zebra finches tend to be not as high maintenance, but they also tend to be like the smaller pocket pets. Some people do an excellent job developing a relationship with them and taking good care of them. But maany people lose interest in them, and they end up being these almost forgotten ornaments that barely get the care they need. Not all budgies end up talkative and attentive to people, which can be disappointing. This is even more of a problem with cockatiels, and even more so with African Greys and Amazons. The bigger and/or more sophisticated birds tend to be more interesting to people, but I would NOT get any of them without knowing fully what you're getting yourself into. Cockatiels tend to be a good compromise in many aspects, but they do require better care than the average pet owner thinks to give them. I've seen so many of them really suffering with their livers shot due to poor nutrition. Conures and such can be deceptively needy and loud, so don't fall into the trap of thinking they're easy to maintain just because of their size.

To whoever was wanting to maybe get a bird, I highly suggest going to a reputable bird sanctuary/rescue if there is one nearby. There are so many unwanted birds out there (who are perfectly fine birds) that it's a great way to acquire a bird with a known history and temperament. And it's a great way to get good information about husbandry for the species you're interested in. Volunteering there will also give you a good idea of what kind of care they need, and hearing the stories behind many of the birds will give you a good idea about what kinds of originally well-intentioned pet owners lacked in terms of being a good birdy home. That should give you a better sense of which species and individual bird is right for you.

I personally got my parrots when they were young, because my family was one that just HAD to have all of these cool pets... And I have spent a better part of my life agonizing over how to provide them the life they deserve. One is a happy go lucky bird that causes no problems at all. But man, when you have a problem parrot, it turns your life upside down. And it really is a lifetime commitment.

Thanks for the info! There is a pretty large bird rescue here in San Diego. I'll look into volunteering with them. I know I have a lot to learn about birds and I certainly wouldn't want to adopt one and not provide a great home!

I would take a couple steps back and start the introduction all over again. (How long has the new cat been in the house? Less than a few months?)
Lock new kitty in a room somewhere where your cat will be able to sniff under the door. I would say give that at least a week. It lets your cat re-establish the house as his own, not worry so much about her, but still remind him that she exists.
You can also try to encourage him to go near the room that she's in. Put cat nip or treats outside the door so he associates good things with her scent.
After you've given that a while (longer is probably better) get one of those extra tall dog gates. You'll probably have to put chicken wire or mesh or something up so they can't slip through the bars. Hopefully they won't want to jump over otherwise you'll have to doctor the door frame with some cardboard or something.
Again at this stage you can do cookies and catnip by the door, but I probably wouldn't do it until they start to feel more comfortable with each other.
Hopefully if you give it long enough behind the gate you can start letting new cat out for longer periods of time until they can be together while your home and then eventually all the time. It might take a couple months, but maybe taking a few steps back will work?

Yea I have been trying to limit their exposure and let them have their seperate space, but I like the idea of trying to "re-introduce" and start the process over. It may take awhile ya, but could definitely be worth it.. Thanks for the advice :)

Yea I have been trying to limit their exposure and let them have their seperate space, but I like the idea of trying to "re-introduce" and start the process over. It may take awhile ya, but could definitely be worth it.. Thanks for the advice :)

You may already do this, but make sure to have special playtime with that kitty exclusively. With a favorite toy, rub session, treats. Makes them feel a little more secure that they aren't being booted and replaced by new kitty. I still have to do this nearly every day with my oldest girl or she gets super jealous and starts naughty behaviors again.

I get to go ride today! ...which means I'll be on a horse for the first time in about 3 months, so we'll see how well that works out.

I wasn't.... I was just giving you ****e...... :laugh:

I know. ;)

Btw, approve of your avatar.

Despite being a straight male, big Supernatural fan. It's stupid, but fun.

And I think I want to quit medicine to hunt monsters with my brother in an awesome car listening to classic rock.

I know. ;)

Btw, approve of your avatar.

Despite being a straight male, big Supernatural fan. It's stupid, but fun.

And I think I want to quit medicine to hunt monsters with my brother in an awesome car listening to classic rock.

:D

yes tis good..... and I am in love with the actor as well... just on pure looks alone

that is a good career to consider really....the world is going to ****e anyhow - might as well have some fun while you are here..... ;)

:D

yes tis good..... and I am in love with the actor as well... just on pure looks alone

that is a good career to consider really....the world is going to ****e anyhow - might as well have some fun while you are here..... ;)

Don't care about his looks, but he's hilarious. Hope he gets a decent career after the show.

The other guy can barely act. He just has two facial expressions - dumbstruck or constipated. I guess you gals find him pretty, but I think the show would be much better without him.

Castiel's hilarious as well.

On the topic of hot men ... :love: Matthew Bomer :love: ... too bad he's gay

He's the main character in White Collar

Don't care about his looks, but he's hilarious. Hope he gets a decent career after the show.

The other guy can barely act. He just has two facial expressions - dumbstruck or constipated. I guess you gals find him pretty, but I think the show would be much better without him.

Castiel's hilarious as well.

Who is this "other guy" you mention, the one that can barely act?

As deyvn's avatar is Jensen Ackles, I believe that JD is talking about Jared Padalecki (or some way of spelling it that sounds like that, I'm too lazy to check right now...).

:thumbup:

Yup.

Although I did enjoy the episode where they end up in the real world as themselves and his character asks, "What's a Padalecki?".

He's also married to one of the demons from a past season in real life, which was amusing.

He is absolutely an awful actor though.

Yup.

Although I did enjoy the episode where they end up in the real world as themselves and his character asks, "What's a Padalecki?".

He's also married to one of the demons from a past season in real life, which was amusing.

He is absolutely an awful actor though.

He played Dean in Gilmore Girls