Step I Random Words/Terms Review of First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MudPhud20XX

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, as most of us are approaching to their dedicated study period for step 1, I thought I would start a thread to boost our memorization of First Aid. I am not one of those smart folks with good retention and I need some repetition and time to memorize. So if you guys happen to find some unfamiliar words/terms that strike you, just put those words in this thread and someone can add some explanation. How does this sound? So I will start. (Let's stick to First Aid .)

Cabergoline?
 
Good idea. Here are some random ones I thought of when studying (hope it helps someone)

Canagliflozin - the "flozin" makes me think of flow, like all the sugar flowing out of your body
Detemir - sounds like the word "determined" which kind of means persistence and not giving up, so it reminds me that it is a "long acting" insulin
Thiazolidinediones - this one has the weirdest name so I just remember the one with the weirdest mechanism - "increases insulin sensitivity" which I always thought was odd for a MOA - like listing hypertension medication's MOA is "lowering blood pressure". Also activating PPAR-gamma is weird too
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, as most of us are approaching to their dedicated study period for step 1, I thought I would start a thread to boost our memorization of First Aid. I am not one of those smart folks with good retention and I need some repetition and time to memorize. So if you guys happen to find some unfamiliar words/terms that strike you, just put those words in this thread and someone can add some explanation. How does this sound? So I will start. (Let's stick to First Aid .)

Cabergoline?
Tx for prolactinoma along with bromocriptine (dopamine agonists)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Most severe form of fetal alcohol syndrome (other than holoprosencephaly)?

2. What inhibits "lipoic acid?"

3. What can result in "paternal uniparental disomy?"
 
1.Most severe form of fetal alcohol syndrome (other than holoprosencephaly)?-- heart lung fistula.

2. What inhibits "lipoic acid?" Arsenic

3. What can result in "paternal uniparental disomy? angelman
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Difference b/w CMV retinitis and HSV retinitis. This might not seem that important but i came across a question on this and it was really hard for me to decipher the answer.
 
Mom mutation = Angelman (your mom is an angel)
Dad mutation = Prader Willi (your dad has a willi)

Remember that these are deletions of the chromosome 15 on that specific side, I missed a question because I didn't connect to that clue. Prader Willi can also be remembered as "proud papa". Angelman's can be "mom's little angel". The concept for mutation of one specific parent is imprinting.
 
Difference b/w CMV retinitis and HSV retinitis. This might not seem that important but i came across a question on this and it was really hard for me to decipher the answer.
If the patient is immunocompromised, it's probably CMV. In order, CMV is present in the blood of 95% of the normal population and EBV is is present in 75% of the population (remembering the order is easy, it's in alphabetical order) . If your immunocompromised (due to a transplant or HIV), then these viruses will become more dangerous.

Also, it might be easier for you to connect these clues to World questions when they come up as opposed to throwing up random FA lines.
 
If the patient is immunocompromised, it's probably CMV. In order, CMV is present in the blood of 95% of the normal population and EBV is is present in 75% of the population (remembering the order is easy, it's in alphabetical order) . If your immunocompromised (due to a transplant or HIV), then these viruses will become more dangerous.

Also, it might be easier for you to connect these clues to World questions when they come up as opposed to throwing up random FA lines.

Thanks for the tip worldbeater. An important difference to remember is that CMV retinitis is painless where as HSV is painful and rapidly progressing.
 
Another random one that works crazy perfect: any fellow hip-hop bois will be familiar with Rae Sremmurd's song "No Type". Well, Rae Sremmurd is drummer's ear backwards, and this association helps me remember that otitis media (often with a bulging ear drum) caused by H. influenzae is usually due to a non-typable strain (it has No Type).


Sorry :laugh:
 
I really need to review kidney stuff so I'm not sure if this is right but I thought the ion content was more or less the same as plasma, thus with no concentration gradients and so there isn't any osmotic pressure... Isn't that why hydrostatic pressures (glomerular and bowman' space ones) are the main driving forces with glomerular oncotic pressure playing in there as well.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Osomotic pressure of bowman space is 0 according to first aid... why is that? isn't it just filtrate?

What page is this on? Did you make a typo and mean oncotic pressure instead? Oncotic pressure and hydrostatic pressure are the only pressures in the capillary filtration equation. Oncotic pressure in Bowman's space is 0 because protein is not filtered into Bowman's space. Oncotic pressure comes from the protein drawing fluid out with it, so there won't be oncotic pressure if there's no filtered protein.
 
Yeah whatever pi stands for...

I thought the dissolved salt and stuff also has a oncotic pressure?

Page 529 (FA2015)
bb0ac2aafb12bf5598a8f1c2da21729a.png