randomness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given that we are all crazy about the process (or it has made us that way), I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the process as being relatively random .

I know it's early, but that brings up another question. When does it cease to become "early in the application process."

It just seems like there are so many good applicants and so many indistinguishable traits to give an interview to this guy and NOT that one ...

Tell me your thoughts. Do you have to be lucky? Or defy probability somehow? I don't really believe in luck.

Gumshoe:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Gumshoe
I don't really believe in luck.

Gumshoe:confused:

start believing man :D

Total RANDOMNESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gee can you tell how I feel?:oops:

I have seen TOO MANY great applicants be turned down. And on the flip side I have seen total scum bags being accepted. Doesn't make sense.

Before I get flammed I will share one experience with you (I know I always have something to say, That's just the kind of person I am.:D )

One girl I knew was a 4.0, 37 on MCAT. She told me one day... "Why should I care if my patient dies? With insurance money paying the bills, I will get paid whether they live or die."

She was accepted in the first batch of offers MCV gave out. She sure snowed them!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure the process has its flaws, but what doesn't? I think if you are capable and really dedicated to becoming a physician, then you will get in somehow. Just keep the faith!

Of course, I'm saying this as a current applicant. Talk to me again in May/June and I might tell you another story. :oops:

Originally posted by Amy B
Total
One girl I knew was a 4.0, 37 on MCAT. She told me one day... "Why should I care if my patient dies? With insurance money paying the bills, I will get paid whether they live or die."

She was accepted in the first batch of offers MCV gave out. She sure snowed them!!!!

Yeah, I know it hurts us all when people like that get in so quickly, but look, anyone who goes into medicine and doesn't care about people is just going to get quickly burned out when they realize that the money really isn't the work and stress.

But for those of us who are going into medicine out of a sincere desire to help others and out of love for the field, the money and stress will never be an issue.

So in the end, this girl is going to be the one who really suffers, just hang in there everyone.

Originally posted by crazyA
Yeah, I know it hurts us all when people like that get in so quickly, but look, anyone who goes into medicine and doesn't care about people is just going to get quickly burned out when they realize that the money really isn't the work and stress.

But for those of us who are going into medicine out of a sincere desire to help others and out of love for the field, the money and stress will never be an issue.

So in the end, this girl is going to be the one who really suffers, just hang in there everyone.

Funny that this subject came up. My cousin's girl-friend just entered a private undergrad school (Albion, Adrian, something like that somewhere in Michgan) and is majoring in biology because she wants to become a doctor. I asked her what she wanted to do, and she replied "Radiology." Guess why? Because she wants the salary that a doctor gets but without having to deal with the "idiot people" (her words). She is 18 with no ECs, no volunteer experience, no shadowing, not even a book about medical school.

Future doctors, everyone! O'Doyal rules!