Rank list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammad2021

Reaction score
Hi I had a concern and would really appreciate some advice. I have a few advanced programs and some categorical ones I interviewed at but only 1 prelim. I am concerned if I rank the prelim with an advanced as my top rank followed by the categorical programs giving me the prelim/Ty automatically next, what will happen if I don’t match the advanced program I ranked but match the prelim. I don’t want to risk losing the categorical programs. Any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

This shouldn't be an issue if you only rank the prelim on your supplemental rank list and not your main rank list. If I remember correctly you make a supplemental rank list attached to each advanced program on your main rank list. It will only match you into the prelim if you match an advanced program. The system will attempt to match you at the highest rank on your main rank list; if you end up matching an advanced program, then the same process will happen for your supplemental rank list. Say your top 2 ranks are advanced programs (with the prelim attached in your supplemental rank lists) and then your 3rd rank is a categorical program. If you don't match the advanced programs, you won't match the prelim and the system will go down your list and attempt to place you at the categorical program.

If you place the prelim on your main rank list you could end up matching there without a radiology match. No reason to do that as there are plenty of prelims in the SOAP every year. Keep in mind if you only have 1 prelim on your supplemental list you run a high chance of having to SOAP into a prelim if you match an advanced radiology program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This shouldn't be an issue if you only rank the prelim on your supplemental rank list and not your main rank list. If I remember correctly you make a supplemental rank list attached to each advanced program on your main rank list. It will only match you into the prelim if you match an advanced program. The system will attempt to match you at the highest rank on your main rank list; if you end up matching an advanced program, then the same process will happen for your supplemental rank list. Say your top 2 ranks are advanced programs (with the prelim attached in your supplemental rank lists) and then your 3rd rank is a categorical program. If you don't match the advanced programs, you won't match the prelim and the system will go down your list and attempt to place you at the categorical program.

If you place the prelim on your main rank list you could end up matching there without a radiology match. No reason to do that as there are plenty of prelims in the SOAP every year. Keep in mind if you only have 1 prelim on your supplemental list you run a high chance of having to SOAP into a prelim if you match an advanced radiology program.
Thank you so much. So if the advanced program does not rank me, I won’t match the prelim attached with it. That’s great to hear, so If I match the advanced program of my top choice but the prelim program attached does not rank me than I will have to SOAP if my understanding is correct?

Thank you so much. So if the advanced program does not rank me, I won’t match the prelim attached with it. That’s great to hear, so If I match the advanced program of my top choice but the prelim program attached does not rank me than I will have to SOAP if my understanding is correct?
Correct, then you would have to SOAP into a prelim. Far from ideal but I think there are a bunch of prelim spots to SOAP into each year. Worst case you would have to do a surgical prelim. Good luck with the match.