rank list help, question about NYC program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chipdoc

Reaction score
Thank you so much to read this post and give me advice. I am US- IMG, Caribean graduate, yog 5. I finished all my interviews and need help with my rank list. I am living in the northeast now. I have kids and hope to find a good teaching residency program ( 1st priority) that helps me match to fellowship ( interested in GI and hemepath). Prefer work-life balance ( 80 hours/week is doable with kids). I can move anywhere.
University of Illinois ( UIC)
Beaumont Michigan
Lenox Hill- NYC
Mount Sinai/St. Luke's West/ Morningside
Rush

P/s: I had a good feeling with Beaumont bc faculties/ residents are so nice, supportive and friendly. But many of my friends from school told me that they prefer university programs to community hospitals.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the ages of your children, you may find the dynamics of NYC to be challenging with the higher costs of living.

Depending on the ages of your children, you may find the dynamics of NYC to be challenging with the higher costs of living.
My kids are 3yo and 1yo. They will stay at home with my mom. Programs in NYC pay high salary 71k to compare 54k-59k in other states. Please give me some input about reputation and fellowship choice in NYC programs. Thanks

My kids are 3yo and 1yo. They will stay at home with my mom. Programs in NYC pay high salary 71k to compare 54k-59k in other states. Please give me some input about reputation and fellowship choice in NYC programs. Thanks
Once you factor cost of living you will see you are probably getting 1/2 the salary (except for Rush in Chicago). You will pay NY state tax and NYC tax, which roughly translates to 20%; plus you will pay ~$3k+ per month for a 1 BR apartment.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As mentioned above, the costs of living here in NYC really need to be carefully weighed into your decision. Your 70K salary here will not get you as far as you may think. I don't know what the situation is with your children, but by the end of your training your oldest will be in school and you will have to evaluate if you want to send your child to a private school, which many people here in NYC do, and those are not cheap.

As far as the NYC programs go, they are fine and certainly the Sinai program, which I am familiar with, readily accepts IMGs and the residents can usually find a fellowship, assuming they are realistic.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Once you factor cost of living you will see you are probably getting 1/2 the salary (except for Rush in Chicago). You will pay NY state tax and NYC tax, which roughly translates to 20%; plus you will pay ~$3k+ per month for a 1 BR apartment.
I live in NH. Good to know about NYC taxes. All NYC programs have subsidized housing for residents around 2,2k -2,6k for 1BR apartment. Residents told me that the program guarantees housing for PGY-1 and PGY-2. Thanks

Did you get interviews from other programs too?
I live in NH. Good to know about NYC taxes. All NYC programs have subsidized housing for residents around 2,2k -2,6k for 1BR apartment. Residents told me that the program guarantees housing for PGY-1 and PGY-2. Thank

I did residency in NYC (not in pathology). My salary around a decade ago was about 65k. Lived in subsidized housing for $1750 per month. I was single and barely kept my head above water. A co-resident was sending her kid to a private school in NYC and I think yearly tuition was in the 20k to 30k range iirc. Luckily she was married to someone already pulling in lawyer salary in NYC.

Also, I have lived in multiple places in PA, MD, VA, and NY. I have NEVER had to pay in for taxes except for all the years I lived NYC where I got no return and had to pay in around $800 per year.

With that being said, if you end up there, you'll make it work. It is something to consider in your decision 'equation' for sure though.

Reactions: 1 user
I can comment on Beaumont, although my experience with the program was a number of years ago. From looking at their current website, about half of the faculty has turned over since then. I also don't know if they have changed the way their workload is distributed and/or the way that resident previewing is structured. So take all this with a grain of salt...

At the time, AP training was excellent and CP was solid (although varied somewhat depending on the subdivision); as you noted, pretty friendly/supportive to residents. Had a high volume of surgicals and frozen sections with good depth and variety of cases. Surg path service was generalized, not subspecialized by organ system like most academic centers. That structure has a steeper learning curve to start with, but I think makes trainees more efficient, better able to organize and prioritize a varied workload, gives a more well-rounded education seeing how many different attendings sign out cases, and definitely gives one a leg up for going into private practice, since that is how many operate. They also gave residents a lot of responsibility for their cases - expected to order immunos/levels, get peer reviews, and have reports (including comments, synoptics, etc.) fully completed all prior to reviewing with attending, on somewhat tighter timeline than most academic centers use. Grossing responsibilities were reasonable (residents got adequate training but not scutted) and, unlike many programs, there were occasional "pure micro" days on the AP schedule (more frequent for senior residents) in which residents were assigned to preview all of a particular attending's slides, without having grossed any of them the day prior. I went to one of the big prestigious tertiary academic centers for fellowship and was told by several attendings at the start of the year that my skill level (both grossing and microscopic diagnosis/reporting) was significantly better than their internal graduating residents.
The down side is that it is not a particularly well known place and, at least when I was there, not much research going on.

• Love
I can comment on Beaumont, although my experience with the program was a number of years ago. From looking at their current website, about half of the faculty has turned over since then. I also don't know if they have changed the way their workload is distributed and/or the way that resident previewing is structured. So take all this with a grain of salt...

At the time, AP training was excellent and CP was solid (although varied somewhat depending on the subdivision); as you noted, pretty friendly/supportive to residents. Had a high volume of surgicals and frozen sections with good depth and variety of cases. Surg path service was generalized, not subspecialized by organ system like most academic centers. That structure has a steeper learning curve to start with, but I think makes trainees more efficient, better able to organize and prioritize a varied workload, gives a more well-rounded education seeing how many different attendings sign out cases, and definitely gives one a leg up for going into private practice, since that is how many operate. They also gave residents a lot of responsibility for their cases - expected to order immunos/levels, get peer reviews, and have reports (including comments, synoptics, etc.) fully completed all prior to reviewing with attending, on somewhat tighter timeline than most academic centers use. Grossing responsibilities were reasonable (residents got adequate training but not scutted) and, unlike many programs, there were occasional "pure micro" days on the AP schedule (more frequent for senior residents) in which residents were assigned to preview all of a particular attending's slides, without having grossed any of them the day prior. I went to one of the big prestigious tertiary academic centers for fellowship and was told by several attendings at the start of the year that my skill level (both grossing and microscopic diagnosis/reporting) was significantly better than their internal graduating residents.
The down side is that it is not a particularly well known place and, at least when I was there, not much research going on.
Thank you very very much for your input about Beaumont which helps me a lot to make my decision. Beaumont has all qualities that I am looking for in a residency program. Can I inbox you for advice about my future fellowship and location if you don't mind?

Thank you so much to read this post and give me advice. I am US- IMG, Caribean graduate, yog 5. I finished all my interviews and need help with my rank list. I am living in the northeast now. I have kids and hope to find a good teaching residency program ( 1st priority) that helps me match to fellowship ( interested in GI and hemepath). Prefer work-life balance ( 80 hours/week is doable with kids). I can move anywhere.
University of Illinois ( UIC)
Beaumont Michigan
Lenox Hill- NYC
Mount Sinai/St. Luke's West/ Morningside
Rush

P/s: I had a good feeling with Beaumont bc faculties/ residents are so nice, supportive and friendly. But many of my friends from school told me that they prefer university programs to community hospitals.

Go wherever you will be happiest and get the best training combined. Don’t go to a place where you will not get along with crazy coresidents or even worse crazy attendings. In other words you don’t want to be miserable for 4 years.

There are plenty of 4th year residents out there who can’t wait to leave their residencies because of crazy attendings.

I, like you, prefer a place with friendly people. I’ve been at places with some nasty people so I can tell you how bad things can get being around dysfunctional people.

• Love
I did residency in NYC (not in pathology). My salary around a decade ago was about 65k. Lived in subsidized housing for $1750 per month. I was single and barely kept my head above water. A co-resident was sending her kid to a private school in NYC and I think yearly tuition was in the 20k to 30k range iirc. Luckily she was married to someone already pulling in lawyer salary in NYC.

Also, I have lived in multiple places in PA, MD, VA, and NY. I have NEVER had to pay in for taxes except for all the years I lived NYC where I got no return and had to pay in around $800 per year.

With that being said, if you end up there, you'll make it work. It is something to consider in your decision 'equation' for sure though.

Hello there,

I'm actually in the process of finalizing my rank list, and I'm considering ranking a NYC program #1. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that you did derm. residency and dermpath. fellowship; I'm also interested in dermpath, and I was wondering if you'd be willing to answer some questions via PM that I had about living in NYC / NYC residency programs, and dermpath.

Thank you!

The cost of living here makes the salary essentially half of ehat you think. It's not just subsidized housing, it's the cost of doing anything with your kids, school supplies, food etc. Everything is pricey. 70K salary is basically 40K or less anywhere else in the country. Also consider the crime with young children. You will either need to forego the subsidized student housing and live in the suburbs (cost of commuting is not cheap) or pay for private school in a couple of years when your youngest hits kindergarten--which is usually more than your rent. Also, the crime wave is real --I wouldn't move small kids to NYC right now.