rank list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious monkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the program I feel most comfortable with seems to be Grand Rapids/Michigan State program, with akron children's hospital second and children's hospital of michigan (chom in detroit)/wayne st. university third. my problem is that if i were to rank the programs based on academic reputation and which one's reputation would help me to get into the most competitive peds fellowships programs (ie peds cardio or ER) it would probably be completely reversed with chom first, akron second, and grand rapids third. both Grand Rapids (187 beds) and akron (250 beds) are smaller that chom (280 beds), however i seem to be more comfortable in their more personable environment...I feel like Grand Rapids is up and coming with thier new children's hospital planning to open in a few years however it doesn't seem to have the reputation that akron or esp chom has. As a result i'm concerned if i am limiting my fellowship opptys. any comments would really help. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the program I feel most comfortable with seems to be Grand Rapids/Michigan State program, with akron children's hospital second and children's hospital of michigan (chom in detroit)/wayne st. university third. my problem is that if i were to rank the programs based on academic reputation and which one's reputation would help me to get into the most competitive peds fellowships programs (ie peds cardio or ER) it would probably be completely reversed with chom first, akron second, and grand rapids third. both Grand Rapids (187 beds) and akron (250 beds) are smaller that chom (280 beds), however i seem to be more comfortable in their more personable environment...I feel like Grand Rapids is up and coming with thier new children's hospital planning to open in a few years however it doesn't seem to have the reputation that akron or esp chom has. As a result i'm concerned if i am limiting my fellowship opptys. any comments would really help. thanks

I have nothing at all against Children's Hospital of Michigan (well, as a Buckeye native I'm not a big fan of Michigan, but that's a different issue). However, I would personally advise you to rank them the way you like the programs. I do not believe any of these 3 would limit your fellowship choices.

SUNY buffalo
MSU eat lansing
long island college ,brooklyn
lincoln , ny
harlem

all pediatrics
apprecaite ur help

curious monkey, i had the same thoughts. well, at least about grand rapids. but then when i did an elective at univ of mich they talked about how grand rapids was so up-and-coming, and how everyone underestimates it. also, that program director is amazing! the best on the trail i have found. she will really go to bat for everyone. i know this year they are sending a fellow to univ of mich for peds heme/onc, one to MCW for pulmonary, and another for critical care (i forgot where), and i think one to NICU too. that's 3-4/8. not bad for a "community program". also, most of the docs in grand rapids hail from very big name institutions and were recruited there because they got $$$. don't underestimate the power that these guys have picking up a phone and making some phone calls come fellowship time! anyways, that's my two cents. but i did a rotation there and loved it so i thought i'd share.