Rank List? Maricopa vs UC Davis vs UCLA-Olive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J143

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course the clock is ticking and rank lists are due...

I've got Highland as my #1, but am not sure about how to rank the next 3

Maricopa
UC Davis
UCLA-Olive View

I know these are all very different types of programs, but would appreciate any opinions regarding what people think of different programs. Pros and cons, etc....

:eek: Help!

Members don't see this ad.

1. UC DAVIS
2. Maricopa

don't know much about olive. UC davis is awesome. i did a sub-i there and you'll be awesome coming out of there plus, you have northern california to enjoy during your free time. SF is about a 70 minute drive away. very reasonable to own your own place there.

they cover trauma from a massive portion of the state, almost the entire northern half. teaching is excellent. i liked the attendings there very much...even the one guy who kinda was a jerk was still in the end an ok guy and good teacher. hours are not quite as bad as the rumors. you work hard during ICU, but the rest of the time is probably ok.

trauma is run by both surg and ER. good teamwork and sharing roles.

they have a kaiser clinic where you spend a fraction of your time. this is a perk for those of you who have never worked in kaiser before.

Maricopa is solid. phoenix is hot, but great from october to may.

Thanks Supahfresh. I appreciate your input. I did a sub-I at UC Davis as well so I know what a great program it is. I guess I'm trying to find out a little more about Maricopa and UCLA-Olive view - since I didn't rotate at either.

Can't wait match day!:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at UCLA Olive View. I liked it and will probably rank it in the top three. They are very strong in research and evidence based medicine. A lot of their attendings are also board certified in medicine and some even a third specialty (a couple in ID, public health...). Both faculty and residents were friendly and laid back, and seemed to be fun to work with. For the most part, everyone seemed dedicated to the county population. They also have the chance to do half their ED months at UCLA--tertiary care, lots of consultants etc. Kind of the best of both worlds. Residents also loved working with some real EM gurus on their faculty, though this was true at other places as well.

LA was prettier and nicer than I thought, and traffic was not nearly as bad as in my imagination. People generally seemed to manage living in the westside and commuted with minimal problems to the valley. They seemed to hang out together and some even carpooled on nightshifts to use the carpool lane in the am. Residents really enjoyed living in LA, with great weather and lots of stuff in easy driving distance (ski, hike, surf, golf, movie premieres, nightlife). The 12 hour shifts (mostly) allowed for a good number of days off (no more than 4 shifts/week).

Overall, seems like they're happier than the Harbor or LAC folks, and they're in a good position for jobs, especially in LA area.

Can you tell me anything about UCD? I don't know where they are on my list yet. Curious too, why Highland if UCD was so strong.

Gimmedog,

Thanks for your input on UCLA-Olive View. I'm going down there next week for a second look, so I'll guess after that I'll see .

In terms of UCD, I pretty much agree with everything Supahfresh said about their program. Very academic, yet a nice balance between community (they rotate at Kaiser) and county (they used to be the main county hospital for Sacremento). The residents work hard, and seemed pretty happy.

Why Highland? First off, while I'm willing to move, I'd love to stay in the Bay Area, and Sacremento is just not SF. I live in SF now and could continue to if I matched at Highland. Highland is also a phenomenal program. All of the residents I met were extremely happy despite the hard core county experience, and the overall training is solid (also a great balance of academic/community/county exposure) Another issue I am still struggling with is the 3 vs 4 year thing. I'd be willing to work for 4 years to stay in SF (or out west in I end up at UCLA-Olive View), and also becuase you definitely seem to have a little more time for a personal life outside of medicine when things are spread out over 4 years. The residents there do 10 hr shifts for the first 2 years, and then 8's during their last 2, and they all seem to spend a lot of time doing things besides medicine. I'm also interested in doing some international medicine and a 4 year program would give me the extra elective time to really do that.

I don't know if that helps. Feel free to e-mail me with more specific questions if you like.