Rank List Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drguy22

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a Q regarding rank lists in general..... how many "safe" schools should be included in the rank list? If someone ranks ONLY highly selective programs, is that going to mean that they will have a less likely chance of matching?

I have compiled my tentative list...just from reading the websites ( the programs, scutwork.com, and residency reviews) also location played a HUGE part. im asking this early on, bc it will probably play a role in which interviews i go to, cancel, ect.

Members don't see this ad.

Putting all your safeties at the end will never hurt you. Rank every single program you would consider going to over not matching. This is the tough part, is a program so bad that you would take the chance of not getting a job at all? My first year, there were 6 EM spots 1-3. Second time around, there were over 30. Who knows this year where that number will lie.
Ranking roughly 10 programs gives you a real good shot at matching. If you've got an 11th that isn't too far away, then it won't hurt you to go there. If it is all the way across the continent, reconsider it.

Putting all your safeties at the end will never hurt you. Rank every single program you would consider going to over not matching. This is the tough part, is a program so bad that you would take the chance of not getting a job at all? My first year, there were 6 EM spots 1-3. Second time around, there were over 30. Who knows this year where that number will lie.
Ranking roughly 10 programs gives you a real good shot at matching. If you've got an 11th that isn't too far away, then it won't hurt you to go there. If it is all the way across the continent, reconsider it.

This is the only strategy. In my case that was 2 programs but you can see it requires some serious soul-searching.

Also EM is competitive enough that you have to be a little careful with the word "safeties."

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a Q regarding rank lists in general..... how many "safe" schools should be included in the rank list? If someone ranks ONLY highly selective programs, is that going to mean that they will have a less likely chance of matching?

Yes. Agree with the other advice posted above. Not ranking a program means you would rather scramble/ not start an EM residency next year than go to that program (which is quite a statement).

I'm going to pipe up and say that I think it's pretty early to be making a draft of your rank list. You are doing yourself a disservice if you go into interviews thinking "I'm going to love this place" and could easily be blinded by WANTING to love it and miss the fact that it's not the right program for you. Although I have several "favorites," I am wiping the slate clean as of today (first interview tomorrow!). Every place is my potential #1!

I'm basing mine on quality of preinterview/interview day food. Let me tell you, so far St. John in Detroit is in the lead with their tasty rare filet mignon... though Receiving is taking me to a Red Wings game. Dang it! So much to choose from! :zip:

I am too easily woo'ed.

I'm basing mine on quality of preinterview/interview day food. Let me tell you, so far St. John in Detroit is in the lead with their tasty rare filet mignon... though Receiving is taking me to a Red Wings game. Dang it! So much to choose from! :zip:

I am too easily woo'ed.

Dude, I'm interviewing at St. John in 2 days!! how was st. john's interview? when are u interviewing at receiving? i still haven't received any snail mail about the interview schedule from receiving or sinai grace. But mine isn't until Jan.

Dude, I'm interviewing at St. John in 2 days!! how was st. john's interview? when are u interviewing at receiving? i still haven't received any snail mail about the interview schedule from receiving or sinai grace. But mine isn't until Jan.

I'm interviewing with Receiving/Grace/Henry Ford in January too.

I'm going to PM you about St. John...