You had me until you decided to throw those of us who ARE WELL TRAINED under the bus by demanding that to put in a central line without ultrasound is malpractice. I HOPE you are just referring to IJs. I've probably put a few hundred lines in (EM/Critical Care) and the vast majority were no-ultrasound subclavians. Sometimes, they were in crashing patients and so we were infusing the things that matter less than 120 seconds after the package was cracked while the nurse was looking for the vascular ultrasound in the back of the supply room.... or we were waiting for the thing to boot up... or we were looking for a probe cover....
My point is, I think the ultrasound is complimentary to your practice, not a malpractice-mandated appendage.
Definitely reflects my training, though. When I was an attending in academics, the residents would specifically ask me if they could put in a subclavian on-shift because so many of the others weren't comfortable doing it and, by extension, wouldn't let them try. It's not that I'm particularly good or bad at them... just numbers, yo.