Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DadiyaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how many programs do people rank? Are there any stats on if you rank "X" number of programs, you have "Y" chance of matching?

Members don't see this ad.

DadiyaMD said:
So how many programs do people rank? Are there any stats on if you rank "X" number of programs, you have "Y" chance of matching?

How many programs to rank? Ask yourself, "would I rather be in this program than not match?" If the answer is yes, rank the program. That simple.

One thing to remember here is that there will likely not be much of a scramble for GS this year. Last year, there were only two unmatched categorical spots in the whole country that people could attempt to scramble into, and by all accounts applications have gone up substantially this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree...
the % of US seniors matching has gone down dramatically (mid-90s 4 years ago to 81% last year)...

The NRMP match site has a page entitled The Impact of Length of Rank Order Lists. Take home point: longer is better.

You should rank EVERY program at which you interview unless you would rather scramble (and potentially sit out a year) rather than attend a given program. There is absolutely no reason to do otherwise. Every year, some bonehead dumb@$$ will rank four programs and then not match. Don't let it be you!

surg4me said:
I agree...
the % of US seniors matching has gone down dramatically (mid-90s 4 years ago to 81% last year)...
isn't this the opposite of what payne posted? so which is it, is it going up or down?

imtiaz said:
isn't this the opposite of what payne posted? so which is it, is it going up or down?

Both are correct. With regards to students, fewer people are matching (more are scrambling). Regarding positions, _more_ are matching (fewer are scrambling.) So it's a competitive double whammy - a student is more likely to scramble and will be faced with a very small number of scramble slots.

Pilot Doc said:
Both are correct. With regards to students, fewer people are matching (more are scrambling). Regarding positions, _more_ are matching (fewer are scrambling.) So it's a competitive double whammy - a student is more likely to scramble and will be faced with a very small number of scramble slots.
damn. that sucks.