rank lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summertime02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I was just wondering how everyone is compiling their rank lists? What criteria are you using to compare residency programs or what criteria should I be using to compare residency programs? I am having a hard time deciding on where to rank some of the places I have interviewed at because I like both of the places a lot! This is hard! :confused: Okay any advice anyone could offer me would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for anyone else, since it's a very personal thing, but my criteria, in no particular order, were:

1. Large size of program (>4 residents per first year class)
2. Major academic tertiary referral center
3. High surgical volume, quality of surgicals
4. Research opportunities & funding, paid post-doc available
5. Strong CP/CP-only track available (theoretically, a place with CP-only might have stronger/better CP - still my untested hypothesis)
6. Track record of graduates getting top fellowships
7. Track record of graduates getting jobs in academia AND private practice in the geographic region I ultimately want to live in
8. Vibe & personality match with the residents and faculty, friendships between residents, amount of socializing outside work (not that I'm necessarily a social butterfly, but it's nice to be friends as well as coworkers)
9. Quality of life outside work - the cities I was strongly considering were Seattle, San Francisco, and LA - looking for lots of cultural activities (theater, art museums, restaurants, sports) and easily accessible outdoor activities (backpacking, hiking, skiing, sailing). Salary vs. cost of living was a factor.

#9 actually ended up being the tie-breaker, as I was looking at excellent programs that I loved in all 3 cities, so ultimately it really came down to which city we wanted to live in.

Thanks for the info cytoborg, it really helps and I will use some of that for my ranking criteria too!:)

cytoborg said:
I can't speak for anyone else, since it's a very personal thing, but my criteria, in no particular order, were:

1. Large size of program (>4 residents per first year class)
2. Major academic tertiary referral center
3. High surgical volume, quality of surgicals
4. Research opportunities & funding, paid post-doc available
5. Strong CP/CP-only track available (theoretically, a place with CP-only might have stronger/better CP - still my untested hypothesis)
6. Track record of graduates getting top fellowships
7. Track record of graduates getting jobs in academia AND private practice in the geographic region I ultimately want to live in
8. Vibe & personality match with the residents and faculty, friendships between residents, amount of socializing outside work (not that I'm necessarily a social butterfly, but it's nice to be friends as well as coworkers)
9. Quality of life outside work - the cities I was strongly considering were Seattle, San Francisco, and LA - looking for lots of cultural activities (theater, art museums, restaurants, sports) and easily accessible outdoor activities (backpacking, hiking, skiing, sailing). Salary vs. cost of living was a factor.

#9 actually ended up being the tie-breaker, as I was looking at excellent programs that I loved in all 3 cities, so ultimately it really came down to which city we wanted to live in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to rank programs as I interview so that in january it won't be so hard (or so I think). Some of the things I'm looking at:

-I am not sure what I'll go into so i'm looking for programs that have a good balance of CP and AP. Also, I like programs that have some patient interaction so that I could have that exposure as well.
-Volume: should be more than 30,000 but not too much 'cause I still want time to read and preview.
-Variety: I want to be able to see rare and uncommon things and have a diverse patient population.
-Reputation of the program
-Atmosphere of the program: How do the residents feel about the program? Are they happy with their decision? I want to be able to get along with other residents and be able to interact with attendings that welcome questions and put an emphasis on teaching. Being able to make a preliminary diagnosis (which is proably going to be wrong but it might be a good learning tool) and sign out specimens that I gross.
-Research opportunities
-How many fellowships are available
-Distance from family. I am not involved with anyone so I don't want to be too far from my parents. Nothing more than a 6 hour drive away.

Keep in mind this whole ranking system is very individual dependent. It seems that most university-affliated programs will give you good training, will allow you to get jobs/fellowships after the program, and the residents have been happy for the most part. It seems that its all about just feeling like you belong somewhere and the vibes.

I have spoken to residents who didn't get their 1st or 2nd choice and in the end found themselves relieved they didn't get their 1st or 2nd choice 'cause their program worked out better for them afterall. So even though this whole thing is scary :scared: and complicated, I think things will work out for all of us.

Good luck! :luck:

summertime02 said:
Hi guys! I was just wondering how everyone is compiling their rank lists? What criteria are you using to compare residency programs or what criteria should I be using to compare residency programs? I am having a hard time deciding on where to rank some of the places I have interviewed at because I like both of the places a lot! This is hard! :confused: Okay any advice anyone could offer me would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

I feel the same way... My question to everyone is -- how much does it matter if one program has more big name pathologists than another one? Do you think it ultimately matters? I know that the younger attendings tend to show more cases to the older, more established attendings. I feel like I am comparing 2 very similar programs and I am looking for the smallest differences and this happens to be one of them.

Thanks Dr. Nick Riveria!:) I feel like I think I like a program at which I interviewed and then I interview at another program and then I think Oh I like this one better (maybe)! so then I get all confused again. :eek: I am concerned that if I choose a place that doesn't have any fellowships that will be detrimental for me because I want to do a fellowship after my AP/CP training. (I am looking at medium sized programs for the most part) Location is also an issue for me too but I am trying to stay around the MD/DC region if I can but at the same time don't want to do that because there are some really great programs that I have been too that are not close enough to my "requirement" so...who knows! I'm not sure where I will be the happiest, I like pathology so no matter where I go I think I will enjoy what I am doing, it's just figuring out where and who I would work with that I would like it the best I guess. I am glad we have until February to decide on ranking because I think I am going to need that much time!:) I still haven't decided on a ranking for any program I have been to because I have liked them all!!!

summertime02 said:
I still haven't decided on a ranking for any program I have been to because I have liked them all!!!

Me too! I have been to four places and feel like I would be happy at any of them (which is good!) And some of my pre-interview "favorites" are still coming up. I wanted to try to assemble a rank list as I go but even with just four I can't figure it out.