Psychiatry Rank Order List Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glindathegoodwitch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I would really appreciate some insight into how to rank these programs as I'm almost done with interviewing and I can picture myself at all of them. Main factors are comprehensive clinical training + ability to work anywhere on the east coast afterwards + reputation amongst psychiatrists.

SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
NYMC Westchester
Temple
Mt. Sinai Beth Israel
Institute of Living
Zucker-Hillside/Northwell
Rutgers- NJMS
Rutgers- RWJMS
U Conn
U Rochester
U Mass
U Maryland

Thank you so much!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So if you're going for "comprehensive clinical training, ability to work anywhere on the east coast afterwards, and reputation amongst psychiatrists" the best place hands down is NYC. Of these listed, Mount Sinai Beth Israel is the only hospital in Manhattan so it definitely meets all of your requirements listed above. It also seems the best on this list honestly. SUNY Downstate is typically regarded as a workhorse program and Zucker hillside is seen as a more chill and desirable program, but its in Long Island.
Temple in Philly would also give you good training, but it won't give you the opportunities in training that a NYC program will.
It should also be noted that UMaryland and UMass are strong programs and should definitely be up there on your list.
The rest all seem like fair programs- but not necessarily notable.

PM me if you want more info!

I have a similar list so am also curious about this! Here are my two cents.

Of the programs you listed, UMaryland and UMass probably have the best reputations. The workload at UMaryland seems quite rigorous though, so it depends on if you're up to the challenge. Sinai Beth Israel is a solid program, but I've heard there have been scares about the future of the hospital? (Don't know how accurate that is). Zucker Hillside seems really great, though not quite sure how well-regarded it is considering that it's a newer program.